Which 210mm Gyuto Should I Buy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "straight" and the "perpendicular" refer to the direction of the blade relative to the forearm, rather than the board. It was thinking about this stuff while sitting at my desk, holding a knife in a pinch grip, lol. After standing at a cutting board at home, I see what you're talking about but it still seems to me that push-cutting while using a pinch grip does not allow the elbow-wrist-knuckle to line-up naturally.

When I hold a knife in a pinch grip my elbow and wrist line up with the knuckles dropping down a few degrees. So you're right the three points technically are not in a straight line. But what I was trying to suggest to the OP that push cutting should be more friendly on the wrist since it's locked in place. Otherwise if his wife was rock chopping that's all wrist action.

@scotts: I have the western handled Kag VG-10. It is a nice cutter, esp for the price. Somehow, nobody likes it. I use it as my loaner knife. Exactly why? I suppose it is the handle mostly. It is an odd purple color, too smooth and slick and the fit and finish on the bolsters is just bad enough where it looks cheap and well... bad. It doesn't feel great in hand either. I'd think about it some more but it is on semi-permanent loan even now.

@Deckhand: I didn't mean to dis you or your knife. I remember being so torn between getting a UX10 and a Glestain (which I still love) for my first gyuto. I went with a Glestain. Later on, I had the opportunity to try out a UX10 and while it is a nice knife, I didn't think it was as magical as the reviews I'd read lead me to believe and with the massive price increase last year...

@99: I agree. I figured some wrist positions were bothering her more than others.

@scotts: I have the western handled Kag VG-10. It is a nice cutter, esp for the price. Somehow, nobody likes it. I use it as my loaner knife. Exactly why? I suppose it is the handle mostly. It is an odd purple color, too smooth and slick and the fit and finish on the bolsters is just bad enough where it looks cheap and well... bad. It doesn't feel great in hand either. I'd think about it some more but it is on semi-permanent loan even now.

@Deckhand: I didn't mean to dis you or your knife. I remember being so torn between getting a UX10 and a Glestain (which I still love) for my first gyuto. I went with a Glestain. Later on, I had the opportunity to try out a UX10 and while it is a nice knife, I didn't think it was as magical as the reviews I'd read lead me to believe and with the massive price increase last year...

@99: I agree. I figured some wrist positions were bothering her more than others.

Thanks TK I was aware it was originally almost a holy grail knife, and had lost major popularity after the price increase. Wasn't worth it to fight with you, and I appreciate your opinions as someone who has experienced a lot of knives. I am not excited easily and am very attached to wa knives in 270mm to 300mm now so no issue here. Just want it to go to a good home.

seems to me that push-cutting while using a pinch grip does not allow the elbow-wrist-knuckle to line-up naturally

There is your problem right there...don't use a pinch grip when push-cutting (or with any j-knife for that matter--sans a cleaver). It's function is much better suited for stability with Euro blades and rock n' rolling...if you just use a light hammer or pointer grip, you shouldn't have the same wrist issues, as pinching on the blade torques your wrist more.

Give it a try, you might like it better.

Back