Which are the best AUS-10 knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my first knives was this Aus10 nakiri. The best? Unlikely, but can I recommend it?

https://hitohira-japan.com/products/aaa-173-24-da

I forget where I bought mine but I think I paid around $170.

At the time I was scared of carbon, didn’t think my wife would be willing to wipe/dry carbons and didn’t yet understand the virtues of other stainless steel types like Ginsan and SG2. Also AUS10 is generally less expensive so that’s how I landed on This guy and several others in this line which are almost certainly of Hokiyama manufacture.

After some time and exposure to other knives I’d say Some of the others in this line are just ok. This nakiri however punches above its weight without a doubt. Mine at least is quite thin behind the edge such that With a little touch up on a 4K stone the difference in cutting feel on carrots between this and a Shibata is minimal. it glides through silently, no cracking or wedging under its own weight. No downward pressure required, just the lateral slicing motion. While it sharpens very easily of course the Shibata, being sg2, is going to win hands down long term on edge retention. However, my wife has been using this knife exclusively for months (maybe 4 or 5 meals a week) and it has not needed sharpening. Still cuts cleanly through paper towels and still cutting effortlessly through carrots and tomato skins. For anyone on a budget it’s a winner.

Last edited:
Now all that said, knowing what I know now, would I buy the Futana again? Only if another $50 would be a deal breaker for me. Hocho sells the Kobayashi SG2 nakiri for about $50 more which is going to be the superior knife in many ways assuming you can get your head around the red handle :p

Back