Which coarse stone would you recommend

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dream816

Reaction score
Recently, I am convinced that a coarse grid stone should make it to my sharpening set up.

I bought a Atoma 400 grit diamond plate intended to be a flattening plate for my 1,200 and 6,000 grit water stones. It works wonderfully well to flatten my water stones quickly. In addition, I have also on a few occasions use the same Atoma flattening plate as my coarse stone to even out the blade road on my kasumi knives. It cuts relatively quickly, stays 100% flat all the time and leave an even scratch pattern even for a coarse stone. Hence, my decision to have a coarse stone in my sharpening set up.

The question is whether I should stay with the Atoma 400 grit diamond plate as the coarse stone or would you recommend something else as a coarse stone? I figure I need something in the grid range of 400 - 600.

At this point in time, I am only sharpening kasumi knives. When my new knives arrive, I may only be sharpening honyaki knives as I may give my kasumi knives away.

What he said. In search for a course stone I started with Bestor 500 (don't like), went to G400 (like) and finally the JNS 300 (like a lot). YMMV.

I wonder what use do you guys give to 300-500 grit stones? I find that if I need to remove lots of metal it's easier to go to sub 300. And then jump to 800-1200

I have a King Deluxe 300 I got from Stu (from Japan, not sold here) that is great. Cuts much faster and cleaner than my Naniwa SS 220 and is very difficult to dish, although I've done it. I use it to grind out damage and re-set bevels.

Peter

Beston 500 geshin 400 is what I use.

Back