Which Knife: 240mm Gyuto $250 - $500, hand forged carbon steel. Value, reputation.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may be corrrect. My comment is just based in comparison to the 30 or so other carbons and semis I've got--I feel that if I need to put in special effort to prevent rust and reactivity, that is a more reactive knife. Haven't put a huge amount of research into the knife, just judging it in my own hands and versus my own collection. As mentioned, there's only one other knife I have that does something comparable (a Kamata Nakiri in white #1 from which I removed the original kurouchi finish)

This is after me being out of town for 3 days this month, just hanging out on an open air rack.

Its a great cutter but I find myself reaching for it progressively less due to the high maintenance. I had some luck previously putting on a light coating of camellia but I don't really wanna coat it in camellia everyday just to prevent this. It does affect taste. Its not half as bad with the damascus Kato, but I still had a weird patch show on the damascus days after it arrived (in Spring).

Dehumidifier?

In Hawaii non oiled carbons will develop rust spots if sitting unused on a magblock. In the workforce being used everyday carbons work well. If left around out of action, better oil them.

As retired a few quality stain resistant gyuto's & cleavers are on my mag blocks. I'm just getting old & lazy, & you have to admit stain resistant knives are better now than they ever have been in the past.

My mainstay carbons are smaller Tamahagane prep blade & Konosuke 240mm, ebony octagon blue steel. Noticed a little slight corrosion where the blade hits the bolster from not drying completely putting back on block, any moisture travels down to the bolster. Shame my awesome Konosuke neglect.:O It is such a fine blade & cutter mend my ways:whistling:

Dehumidifier?

This is sound advice. but I can't get my head around having one in the kitchen. with steam going off left right and center it just seems counter-intuitive. and counter-productive, even. I sometimes wonder if a small eurocave could be tweaked to be a better storage unit...

but going back to the main topic, hearing Konosuke mentioned, have to give honorable mention to their HD2 as well. Don't think its ever shown me the faintest sign of rust, and I'm hardly a role model caretaker. pretty much no compromise in cutting but the sharpening can be a bit more awkward.

Hi,
Original poster here, thanks everyone for the suggestions, they were excellent!
I learned a lot about kitchen knifes, and I have decided I would be very satisfied with either a Shigefusa - kasumi or Kato. Shigefusa seems to focus more on kitchen knifes (possibly better for the intended purpose) and Kato seems to use even more traditional methods?
I'm cool with a 210mm Gyuto to save a few bucks. I still prefer a western handle, might be a while before a 210mm western handle Gyuto shows up for me to purchase.

I could buy a western knife that requires a handle and do it myself!
I have small but very high quality blocks of stabilized Koa and walnut I bought to maybe re handle some of my other knives, I saw a Kato which requires handle slabs and came up with the idea.
Wa handle is still an option, but I'd rather wait and spend a few extra bucks for a western handle.
I saw some 180mm western gyutos by Shigefusa which seemed perfect, if they were 210mm and not sold out, I would have placed an order.

I don't understand the levels or choices between Kato Knifes so I'll try to figure that out. It appears he has different offerings for different sellers/locations? Confusing.
I'm open to any tips or suggestions.
Thanks again!

I currently own a Masamoto Tsukiji 270mm with V1 virgin carbon steel and really love it. Bought it last time I was at the Tsukiji market in Tokyo. The edge retention has been amazing and has so far been pretty easy to sharpen. However, it's constantly feels too big in my hands and will probably downgrade to a 240mm on my next trip back. I highly recommend it but keep in mind the Masamoto Tsukiji company is different than the Masamoto Sohonton, same origins but a split in the family. You can buy Masamoto Tsukiji 240mm Gyuto for $330 on MTC Trading and Masamoto Sohonton on Korin.

The other Gyuto knife I'm really considering is the Takamura HSPS Pro. Based on what MTC writes about the company, it's a small family business and produces some amazing SG2 steel blades. The Takamura HSPS Pro 240mm Gyuto runs for $315. Great metal, super hard, and should prove to be a great workhorse.

I don't understand the levels or choices between Kato Knifes so I'll try to figure that out. It appears he has different offerings for different sellers/locations? Confusing.
I'm open to any tips or suggestions.
Thanks again!

I believe the Kato from JNS are all semi-custom; taller, different steel, profile etc etc

I placed an order for a Kato 210mm Gyuto (workhorse) with a D shaped Ho wood handle. I'm expecting it on Monday or Tuesday, looking forward to it! Not sure what type of steel it has but I'm sure it will be great.

I placed an order for a Kato 210mm Gyuto (workhorse) with a D shaped Ho wood handle. I'm expecting it on Monday or Tuesday, looking forward to it! Not sure what type of steel it has but I'm sure it will be great.

I just received mine last week from Maxim with the burnt chestnut handle and it's amazing. Now I can't wait to get my hands on a 240mm workhorse or kikuryu.

I wish Japanese Natural Stones didn't ship with DHL. The package was to be delivered by end of business day today. It hasn't been delivered. I prepaid the duty/customs online 8.5 hrs ago and the delivery was on the drivers truck since 11am, it's now after 5pm and nobody showed up. It is now after business hours and their offices won't answer phone calls. I'm ranting but it's disappointing to pay for a service which is sub par. Maybe the strong economic decline expected due to low oil prices will cause people and businesses to evaluate service... End rant lol.

It might show up later tonight. I believe sometimes they deliver until 8PM. My package was delivered around 6PM (Toronto). I'm not sure if they operate differently in Calgary.

It might show up later tonight. I believe sometimes they deliver until 8PM. My package was delivered around 6PM (Toronto). I'm not sure if they operate differently in Calgary.

I hope you are right! Thanks for the info!
Waiting is the hardest part...

I wish Japanese Natural Stones didn't ship with DHL. The package was to be delivered by end of business day today. It hasn't been delivered. I prepaid the duty/customs online 8.5 hrs ago and the delivery was on the drivers truck since 11am, it's now after 5pm and nobody showed up. It is now after business hours and their offices won't answer phone calls. I'm ranting but it's disappointing to pay for a service which is sub par. Maybe the strong economic decline expected due to low oil prices will cause people and businesses to evaluate service... End rant lol.

I seem to do better with DHL than either FEDEX, UPS, or the USPS but I'm in the states so not apples to apples comparison. I'm sure your package will arrive tomorrow.

Alright, it finally came! It's a nice unit, fit and finish is good and the handle is basic, which gives me incentive to use it and eventually replace it with some stabilized knife handle wood I have.
Thanks to everyone who helped me, I appreciate your time and knowledge.

I just received mine last week from Maxim with the burnt chestnut handle and it's amazing. Now I can't wait to get my hands on a 240mm workhorse or kikuryu.

I just received mine today, it has a Ho wood D shaped handle, I was secretly hoping for the burnt chestnut handle as he had pics of both types for the same knife and there was no drop down box to choose or anything so it was a surprise. Now to use it, I plan to keep it for as long as possible so I'll take great care of it. No idea of the exact type of metal on the Kato workhorse.

Maxim only had the ho handle this time so I asked him if he could replace it with the burnt chestnut handle and he did!
That is the kind of service you dont't often see nowadays.

Just cut up some sweet potatoes and seem to work quite a bit better than kono hd2. The extra heft helps the blade just falling through the dense sweet potatoes.

The Kato workhorse cuts very well and came very sharp.
Incase anyone wanted to know, it's essentially all belly. There is belly from the tip to ~30mm from the heel, where the last 30mm of the blade curves up towards the spine by ~1mm. The type of thing that could be sharpened out in time if someone paid attention.
With the variability of a person making the blade, the execution is impressive as fit is excellent everywhere else.

The Kato workhorse cuts very well and came very sharp.
Incase anyone wanted to know, it's essentially all belly. There is belly from the tip to ~30mm from the heel, where the last 30mm of the blade curves up towards the spine by ~1mm. The type of thing that could be sharpened out in time if someone paid attention.
With the variability of a person making the blade, the execution is impressive as fit is excellent everywhere else.

I find it hard to believe that theres that little of a flat spot on the blade profile. Pics please. I could easily be wrong (as I so often am).

I find it hard to believe that theres that little of a flat spot on the blade profile. Pics please. I could easily be wrong (as I so often am).

I assumed pics would be requested, I'll have to figure out how to post pics, I should be able to figure it out sometime tomorrow.
There is a flat spot on the blade maybe 25-30mm long, it travels when you rock the blade as you get close to the heel. I'm using my laptop exterior and iPad screen as a reference surface, I trust them to be flat.

I'll have to check out my Kato when I get to the shop tomorrow, but I can honestly say I've never had an issue with a lack of a flat spot in the two Maxim styled Kato's I've owned.

Back