Which Knife(s) Should I Buy? (And stones)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm jon... dave is from japanese knife sharpening :p

Bah sorry Jon, I was even sending emails to Dave (The Boardsmith) addressing him as John and he didn't correct me. I'm going to blame the large amount of snow we just got on my brain not functioning.

Lefty, That's super cool of you.

You seem like a cool guy and you're Canadian. If you're not in a hurry, I have a great Yamawaku nakiri I can send you to try out. It's carbon steel, and very rustic, but you will be able to handle/use a properly sharpened and ground J-knife. It's a budget knife, but the thing out cuts most knives I've used.
Let me know :D

sorry for the second post.

Lefty, You helped fuel my addiction (I've always loved my knives in a strange way) just by sharing. It makes me not only want to use better knives but show others how great it is. Thank you

And I can't imagine you guys not being welcoming, You guys have been great.

Congrats on the new gyuto Scott. I like the looks of those Yoshihiros. I hope you'll post some pics and let us know what you think of it once it arrives.

Scott, what were your thoughts on the nakiri? Did it help you in your decision making process?
Congrats on taking the plunge. Jon won't steer you wrong.

I really liked the Nakiri, but my wife wanted a smoother handle and we both agreed Carbon might not be a good fit for us at the moment (we washed and dried your knife immediately after each use but we don't want that for our permanent knife). Also the handle shape compared to our Henckels was a nice change, something my wife wasn't 100% sure on until she used the knife. It definitely also helped convince me that the weight (or lack thereof) of Japanese knives is a huge plus to German knives. I can already guess I'll be picking up a Nakiri in the future but I'll work on my cutting and sharpening technique more (and stash some more cash) before I buy something else. I'll post pictures when it comes.

Hey Jon, Thanks again for spending so much time with my wife and I on Sunday afternoon. I thought sure picking out a new knife would be easier than it is turning out to be. If you think of another option (with the rounder, smoother wa style handle go ahead and e-mail me. Mike

Last edited:
I finally got around to taking some pictures of my new knife, I've been really busy lately (mostly in the kitchen) but that's another story. Anyways here is the Yoshihiro 240mm Wa-Gyuto along with my new Mahogany Boardsmith board (which I'm having a hard time actually using, it's just so good looking!). I have to thank you again Lefty for lending me your Nakiri, you and everyone on this board have opened my eyes (and maybe my wallet lol) to the wonderful knives available.

7244590322_8098fb3bb6.jpg

7244481328_f3866e15bc.jpg

7244477866_b207ec2214.jpg

Go Big or Go Home .... You definitely went big here. Good looking setup.

Back