Which of your expensive knives disappointed you(or steel)?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may come with some criticism...DT ITK 270. The steel cut performed well, as did the grind, but this knife's specific profile was off. One of the board members referred to it as "clunking"...

...I'm sure this is not an issue with Devin's knives in general but sadly for this knife it was.

Okay, have been informed that this is a grind issue...stand corrected!

Also want to to add that this knife's ability to keep and edge was remarkable...

Konosuke ZDP 189 with a custom handle. Handle is beautiful, but the blade won't take the edge I want. Now..to be fair, I bought this shortly before my accident and became the one armed bandit. I can cut like a mother, but sharpening is out for now. Sent it to a certain 'leaves in a garden philosopher/sharpener (let's not make this about him or the obvious source where I bought the knife)' and he didn't make it any better.

Since I can't sharpen it right now, I brought it to my resident sushi chef knife nut. He's gotten the most out of it so far, but it won't stay sharp. By way of contrast, the edge he put on my Takedas and Shigs lasts for days of use.

Since I'm in a sling for a month more, I'd love to send the ZDP to one of our experts and see if the thing can actually be the laser it's supposed to be......or just a dud.

Konosuke ZDP 189 with a custom handle. Handle is beautiful, but the blade won't take the edge I want. Now..to be fair, I bought this shortly before my accident and became the one armed bandit. I can cut like a mother, but sharpening is out for now. Sent it to a certain 'leaves in a garden philosopher/sharpener (let's not make this about him or the obvious source where I bought the knife)' and he didn't make it any better.

Since I can't sharpen it right now, I brought it to my resident sushi chef knife nut. He's gotten the most out of it so far, but it won't stay sharp. By way of contrast, the edge he put on my Takedas and Shigs lasts for days of use.

Since I'm in a sling for a month more, I'd love to send the ZDP to one of our experts and see if the thing can actually be the laser it's supposed to be......or just a dud.

What sort of edge is it you are looking for?

I would consider putting a highly asymmetrical edge on that bad boy, like 90/10 even. :D

Haha, it seems like Takeda is Moritaka in disguise, at least the ones I have seen. I am will you on this, Mario.

For me it was Watanabe custom Kiritsuke shaped gyuto.

Out of ten I got, majority had overgridns, were thicker than promised, the fit and finish was not as promised and that really killed my interest in Japanese knives (Shigefusa remains one exception).

M

Haha, it seems like Takeda is Moritaka in disguise, at least the ones I have seen. I am will you on this, Mario.

For me it was Watanabe custom Kiritsuke shaped gyuto.

Out of ten I got, majority had overgridns, were thicker than promised, the fit and finish was not as promised and that really killed my interest in Japanese knives (Shigefusa remains one exception).

M

Just curious whether that statement of yours encompasses Dois and Masamoto (I know the Masamotos are not single craftsmen) too? Because of all the knives I've tried which are stock from Japan, these two makers in particular were the only ones whose fit and finish stood out.

Although one Doi that I asked for came with two micro chips on the edge... though I suspect it did not leave his forge that way.

Well, my statement was pretty general, but it reflected what has built over time.

I have owned knives of decent and great quality (though not perfect knives) and knives of poor quality. While customizing, I have aslo seen knives from many makers that had faults in workmanship (some just cosmetic, like poor fit and finish, some more serious, like overgrinds)

It's not for me an idea that a knife is a tool and as long as it cuts, everything else doesn't matter. I like Shigefusa's philosophy - always send out your best work and Apple's philosophy - put your products over profits.

Doi has a great finish, but as a knife, it never grew on me, and neither had Masamoto. Watanabe was my first knife to get, and was also my last knife to get.

I only own one Japanese knife now - Shigefusa yanagiba and this one is here to stay.

M

Bummer hearing about the Hiro AS. The two I've handled that Dave thinned I never got to use, because they were pristine new(apparently never used).

They made me want to cut **** up so bad. Like, I love getting them in because I love handling them and looking at them.

My biggest disappointment(of pricey stuff that failed to be worthwhile) was the Fowler passaround in wrought iron. It was the first 52100 knife I ever used, but that wrought iron ruined everything. It was like when you try to make a new cocktail but end up making what tastes like mopwater. So disappointing, the materials are so cool...but now we know why people don't use wrought iron in a kitchen.

Marko, I hope this doesn't sound like I'm challenging you or anything because its not my intention at all As I do think you are quite knowledgable. I am just really interested in your response as you're one of the only people on this board that doesn't use the japanese stuff (sans shig) but I am just wondering what knives you own now if you don't like the japanese ones?

My next question is, what would you recommend to someone who had a lower end budget for a good knife?

No offense taken, on the contrary, a good question.

I ended up using just my own knives, most that I ground while practicing making knives. They are not perfect,but they are in good steels: 52100 and PM and with a pretty good heat treatment, and I ground them to my preferences for height, weight and thinness. I own three knives now, 225mm, 240mm and 255mm and I periodically use my wife's 180mm gyuto that I made for her.

Edge retention matters to me, so If I were to look for a knife from a Japanese maker, I would look for knives from the likes of Yoshikane. His A2 core knives offer a pretty decent edge retention. Heiji is also using A2 (or appears to be using it, without advertizing it), but he is pricier than Yoshikane and his knives are heavier.

If edge retention is not an issue, there are a number of Japanese knives in mid price range that should be pretty good. Gengetsu (the way tk59 reviewed it) and others.

As for lower end knives, I don't know. The thing is, Japanese wholesale prices are much lower than retail, so if you are buying a $100 retail, you can imagine what a wholesale price is, and that is really a value of a knife. It is hard to expect quality in that price range.

I think you probably will be better off buying MR knife in a good steel with a decent heat treatment and put some money in tuning it up. This would be my (and subjective) preference, so take it for what it is.

M

Okay, have been informed that this is a grind issue...stand corrected!...
The clunking could be due to either the profile or the grind, depending on how you look at it.

Back