which whetstones should i buy to sharpen my carter 240 gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, sorry had to post Ziganof's spiel, 10 hours of sharpening per knife?!?!?!
They must have left the production line in a sorry state.

Also wondering why, with the recommendations you've asked for over the past 2 years, you ended up with those knives?

they were the first knives i bought on an impulse they looked alright at the time this was before i saw there site. i have realised that they are not as good as they say and for that price the funny thing is my friend is in denial and defends the knives on a regulaur basis when i mock them

thanks for all the advice guys you have all been great i forgot about this thread until now (sorry):O i actually bought this stone

Toishi-Ohishi - Combination Stone 6000/10000: J-TO6010 £82.50 from here:

http://www.classichandtools.com/acatalog/Toishi-Japanese-Waterstones.html

it came through the post ive received it now the 10,000 side is about a third of the stone and the 6,000 is about 2 thirds i guess this is because you would use the 10,000 less than the 6,000
any comments on the stone?
i will post some pics when i find my camera phone also i will post some more pics of the carter when i receive it

No experience of the stone, but 6k and 10k wouldn't have been the grits I'd have gone for. Let us know how you get on

I guess he's already got a 400/1000.

I'm of the school of 10k is way too fine for a gyuto, so I'm probably not well placed to comment, haha

I guess he's already got a 400/1000.

I'm of the school of 10k is way too fine for a gyuto, so I'm probably not well placed to comment, haha

yes ive already got the 400/1000 the 10k is just to give me a easier learners curve plus i have a cut throat razor to sharpen too so it wont go to waste

Back