Who I am, what I'm about.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, it looks very santoku-ish, certainly not meant for rock chopping. From the few shots here I don't see anything that would make me think it wouldn't perform.
I originally labeled this a "mini-santoku" at 6.5" long, but somehow settled for herb chopper when I advertised it online.

I originally labeled this a "mini-santoku" at 6.5" long, but somehow settled for herb chopper when I advertised it online.

Mini-satonku, ko-santoku or something similar is what I think of immediately on seeing it. I too like some belly for a herb-centric knife so I could see there being some "push back" to that.

Mini-satonku, ko-santoku or something similar is what I think of immediately on seeing it. I too like some belly for a herb-centric knife so I could see there being some "push back" to that.
That's fair.

I offered a full refund at any rate. We will see.

Quite literally 😆
20220817_145936.jpg

That's fair.

I offered a full refund at any rate. We will see.

That's very cool of you but I will say, that to me, a person should study the profile/size of a knife and decide if it fits their style and use regardless of description.

You could label that "herb chopper" but clearly a few of us would look it over and know that for us, personally, we wouldn't use it for that.

The buyer owns some responsibility there.

That's very cool of you but I will say, that to me, a person should study the profile/size of a knife and decide if it fits their style and use regardless of description.

You could label that "herb chopper" but clearly a few of us would look it over and know that for us, personally, we wouldn't use it for that.

The buyer owns some responsibility there.
I provided the above pictures plus a few others and a video panning over the knife, but I agree. I was surprised.

I was just unsure if I was completely missing something.

I provided the above pictures plus a few others and a video panning over the knife, but I agree. I was surprised.

I was just unsure if I was completely missing something.
Doesn't seem like you missed much, if anything, especially given the info you seem to have provided. Wouldn't worry about it too much. People can be difficult.

Knife critique.

I was recently given a review of this knife that wasn't what I expected.

I considered this a small herb/vegetable knife. Low point, flat profile with a faux shinogi that lead to a slight convexed geometry. It worked really well with vegetables in testing and it chopped cilantro and parsley with ease and no damage. It felt legit to me, but sometimes I get things wrong.

If anyone reads this, what are your thoughts? Avoid the pattern and just comment on the shape. Reflections can show geometry as well.

Note: I shortened the handle some after these pics.

View attachment 194048View attachment 194049View attachment 194052
Looks good to me unless you're rock chopping. In which case, the knife would be to short in my opinion anyway.

This steel is ~1.6% carbon. The white lines are clouds of teeny, tiny spheroidized cementite. The steel is around 25% Iron carbide by volume. Cementite (iron carbide) has a hardness of around 72rc. The steel itself is tempered back to around 65-66rc. It was nearing 70rc out of the quench.

I formulated the composition of the steel and forged and HT'd for maximum hardness with as little hit to durability as I could. It contains traces of Vanadium and Chromium and also Manganese to achieve deep hardening characteristics but not too much that would effect the pattern (Manganese in high amounts reduces visibility of the pattern).

This steel differs from normal knife steels that have alloy banding. These lines are made up of very small cementite particles that all remain small, uniform and round. Whereas alloy banded knives contain oblong chunks of various carbides made up of other elements but including cementite. Alloy banded composition physically lends to a more brittle microstructure than wootz because of the varying large, chunky carbides present throughout the banding. However, the comparison is still difficult to draw because one is present in a normal high carbon steel, and the other is present in an ultra high carbon steel. Much higher density of carbides in wootz.

Last edited:
Wootz. 1.5-1.6%C

I have been getting the urge to forge more so I recently changed my ingot formula to be very pure and made a new ingot. There's very little trace elements present (0%-trace Mn even). This offers a hardening challenge. Very good for hamon, but future examples from this ingot will be prepped differently for HT, to get hardening a little deeper. This is sandpaper to 3k and then etched. After it was etched, I knocked off the oxides and dipped in coffee.

The blade pre coffee dip after oxides were knocked off.
20231222_211029.jpg20231222_211031.jpg20231222_211101.jpg20231222_211107.jpg

Then after coffee.

20231227_143440.jpg

20231227_143500.jpg
20231227_143510.jpg
20231227_143431.jpg
20231227_143403.jpg
20231227_143128.jpg

Back