Who wears a neck knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the kydex, warm it up in your oven at about 200F, watch to see when it gets malleable, pull it out, insert your knife and squish the crap out of it with hard foam, or tea towel (pressing all over). This will tighten it up and make worthless useful.

Well I got in on the fake dogfish bandwagon too!
Never worked with kydex so I'm glad to know that kydex can be reformed using heat!

Don't really where it as a necker anymore, but did at one time. Now it's normally in my pocket.

CRKT F4-02 Carson Design. Little guy, 2.5" blade, 5.5" total. AUS-6M stainless. Takes a screaming edge, and holds it nicely. Nice plastic sheath, still hold good after years of service, but did break the belt clip. She's been through a lot, and still always comes out strong.

Was litterly an impulse buy at an outfitter store just off the AT in upstate NY after a week hike in 2002, and lost my other. Cant remember the price, but was well worth it. Is now discontinued I think.

lz0aIHO.jpg

I don't know why I keep weighing in, but the Carson CRKT reminded me that the best necker I've used is the Minimalist. Tiny, light, strong and a fantastic sheath. It clips in tight, comes out with a push of the thumb, takes up little roo in the pocket and is a tough little bugger. However, it still lost out to a Spyderco folder.

I have a Minamilist too, but lost the sheath somehow. I keep saying I'm going to make a new one, by I never do. It is a great little knife

I have an ESEE Izula that I carry on occasion. I think neck knives are super cool but in practice I don't like a knife hanging around my kneck.

So this weekend I finally got around to wrapping the Izula handle with paracord which helps the grip of tremendously. I also ditched the paracord I was using to keep it around my knock and got a dog tag style chain. Both of these little improvements make the knife much nicer to carry around my neck.

My EDC/necker rotation. Neckers: Del, Randy and Ryan Weeks. Pocket knives: Ryan Weeks, CRKT Sampa and a ZT 0350.

Here's a pic of my ESEE Izula with new paracord wrap. It's a cool little knife, but I'd like to get a kydex sheath for my Benchmade Snody 210 and carry that instead.

photo.jpg

I got my CRKT Dogfish today, took longer for Best Service Store (through Amazon) to ship it from Kansas City, MO to me than it did for Koki to ship my Hiro AS from Seki to my house during the same time.

The sheath was not loose as many seemed to have issues with, it was too tight for the first draw from sheath, actually. Seems just right after removing the knife a few times. It came with a kydex belt clip that is a bit small for my thick or wide belts, can be mounted to the sheath in a few positions.

The blade is a bit smaller than I expected, but a nice size for neck carry. There is a slight recurve near the heel, which I don't like, factory bevel was a bit uneven and not sharp (but that is expected). The tip came slightly blunted. I gave it a quick touch up on Chosera 1k, sharpened easily enough but I need to do some more work to get the edge acceptable to me.

I am satisfied, so far, for $15 and it opens bottles!

I got my CRKT Dogfish today ... for $15 and it opens bottles!

I just got mine as well.
2w70lg6.png

If they'd made it 1/2 inch longer on the blade and 1/2 inch longer at the handle,
would have been much better.

It's a really soft steel. Something like AUS or 8cr13mov?
To be honest, I found the soft steel to be a bit of downer.
For me, I definitely prefer a necker with hard steel (60+ rockwell).

But of course, the bottle opener is really kind of nice.

EDIT:
So I just looked it up.
The CRKT version:

STEEL:.......... 3CR13
Blade-HRC:...... 51-53

Good lord! :eek2:

Pretty loose, and rattles like a diamondback.
I'm not even sure if this is a kydex or just some cheap molded plastic.
But at this point, I don't think it's gonna fall out while I'm jogging or anything.
I'm not going to mess with it until the detent gives out.

Back