Who's in Your Family?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do any Japanese makers count as "custom"?

I'm not a huge collector of knives. I've only got 5 that I ever use, one of which is a bread knife (which doesn't count.) Of them, the Nakiri is a luxury. I'm pretty happy with my Takeda Nakiri and Watanabe Petty too, so I doubt I replace them with customs any time soon.

To date, all I've got is a Shigefusa Gyuto that Marko put a handle on.

I'm on the list for a Marko and a Rader. Beyond that I'd really like to get my hands on a Burke or a DT. Or a Kramer, if I strike it rich some day.

I've tried to buy a DT straight razor in the past, but missed out because I dithered. Please make more razors Devin. Pretty please?

I currently have an Ealy petty and a carter gyuto as far as customs. I have also owned a Rader but it was his semi-custom line. I am all about supporting the custom knifemakers, my ealy and carter are probably my favorite knives. The problem for me isn't the money, its the wait. I would love to get my hands on a Pierre Rodrigue and a full custom Rader, but when i want a knife, i want a knife. When i get the itch to buy a new one its a bummer to hear that you cant see it or get your hands on it for 8 months plus. I am not saying that they aren't worth the wait, i just don't like to. When i told Del Ealy what i wanted, i think i had it in a week or so.

Mike

Rodrigue, with more coming
Carter x 2
Does a WC count? Hahaha

Nothing spectacular, mostly just a bunch of worker bees w/custom handles.

Masahiro/Fish
Carter/Keller
Moritaka/Keller x2
Takeda/Keller x2
Watanabe/Keller
Unknown/Keller
Yoshikane/Keller
Korin/Keller
Masamoto/Marr
Unknown/Marr
Sabatier/Martell
Glestain/Martell
Kanemasa/Martell
Harner
Martell (WIP)
Thomas

I only listed the ones with "family" ties.

Dave, if I had kids, you would pay their way through college ;) I hadn't even realized how many of my wood pieces you had collected. Thanks! We clearly need a picture gallery :)

Stefan

Ecchef, I want to see a pic of that Sab!

oh, oh! i have two knives with Keller handles, so i get to play too. :)

Kramer-1
Carter-2
Rader-1
marko- 1 on order
pierre- 1 on order
Burke- 1 on order
takeda- 2
fish handles- 3
takeda- 2
shigefusa- 1
gil cote- 1
haslinger-1
devin-1 + 1 on order
broadwell- 1 on order

Didn't even think to add my Carter or others :p

Carter 1
Watanabe 2
Takeda 1
Konusuki 1
Kochi 1 :)
Butch 6
Stephan handles 2

Can already tell I need another knife but I'll wait till I get a bit more caught up. Lucky for us we have very few bills and never went under, just skipping the surface for a couple years.

Kramer-1
Carter-2
Rader-1
marko- 1 on order
pierre- 1 on order
Burke- 1 on order
takeda- 2
fish handles- 3
takeda- 2
shigefusa- 1
gil cote- 1
haslinger-1
devin-1 + 1 on order
broadwell- 1 on order

Dang Matt, those are some nice knives on deck. You are going to be having a nice year.

3 Carter
2 Watanabe
2 Devin + in line for 1
In line for 1 Pierre
In line for 1 of Dave Martel
Shig + Stefan handle is in there somewhere
1 of Jons

As many have already said, over the next few years, when $$ gets better, I hope to get 1 of all!!

Dave, if I had kids, you would pay their way through college ;) I hadn't even realized how many of my wood pieces you had collected. Thanks! We clearly need a picture gallery :)

Stefan

Here ya' go...:)

RIMG0250.jpg

RIMG0251.jpg

RIMG0255.jpg

Cool, thanks, Dave. Some old familiar faces ;) I hope they are all holding up well. Man, that license plate sure makes the blue handle look small...

BTW, in my own family list I forgot my 5 Watanabes, that shouldn't have happened. I really like Shinichi's knives, have yet to be disappointed.

Stefan

Pierre - paring, petty and suji
Devin - petty, gyuto (both ITK)
Fowler - gyuto on order

Couple Hiromoto gyutos w/ Dave Martell handles

DT spoon and Del fish tweezers

i do believe a Murray suji is heading my way soon, so there we go. yay!

Some of these be on order:

Forums:

Dave Gyuto
Hiromoto rehandle - Dave
Del Gyuto
Gesshin Ino SB Wa-Petty
Butch Laser Petty

Other:

Tojiro's
Sakai-Ichimonji Yanagi
Masahiro Mishirobi deba

Back