Why do we continue to cook professionally?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK guys, sorry. "Retarted" was the wrong word to say. It was meant in a very fecitious manner. I didn't mean that BOH people are mentally incapable at all. I think BOH people generally have great work ethic, work skills, and they understand what it really means to "work".

I meant "retarted" in that despite being fully capable of doing whatever, you are STUCK. You are simply stuck in your profession that also represents a certain lifestyle. Despite being fully capable, you are Stuck in your position and simply don't know how to do anything else. It defines you as much as your race, religion, or heritage. Even a lawyer would be completely retarted to stay in the kitchen for too long, and I wouod say people like that never last a good 10+ years cooking. They simply have better options. You've been around a guy that's been doing it for 10+ years, you know he's stuck and has no better options in life.

You can glamorize it all you want by saying things like "masochists", "passion", "challenge", but at the end of the day, the vast majority of people are just STUCK. And as a BOH guy myself, I absolutely stand behind what I say. The simplest most honest reason why MOST keep keep doing what they do is because they are stuck. And that's absolutely OK.

I have a history degree from UNC. I worked for American Express as a financial forecaster. I have worked as a developer and have owned a successful construction supply company. Maybe you're right about people being stuck in this business. Fortunately, most of the people I know in this business prove you're point is wrong. Innovation and creativity sees no boundaries and I have met many people who have had successful careers as lawyers or entrepreneurs like myself and just like to cook. The difference is now is that I do it on my own terms. Will I be doing this in 2, 5, or 10 years? I will if I still enjoy it. If not I'll be doing something else.

I'm a high scholl graduate. It was cook or be a bum. I've gone full circle. Now I'm a bum that cooks.

I meant "retarted" in that despite being fully capable of doing whatever, you are STUCK. You are simply stuck in your profession
You can glamorize it all you want by saying things like "masochists", "passion", "challenge", but at the end of the day, the vast majority of people are just STUCK. And as a BOH guy myself, I absolutely stand behind what I say. The simplest most honest reason why MOST keep keep doing what they do is because they are stuck. And that's absolutely OK.

You are only "stuck" in your mind and have no goals. You can take it only as far as you let yourself. But with your attitude, I really don't see that happening. I feel sorry for anyone around you if or when you lose it.

Save your money, open a lunch wagon, or get your food out into the swap meets for people to try. My big brother is a wealthy restauranteur taking that route with his wife. It just seems to me that you do not enjoy this business. There are many other entry level positions in other careers you can seek, but you will see when you start from the bottom of anything, your struggle, and uphill climb will be no different, just you don't get to eat everyday, and with your attitude, you will find yourself "stuck" wherever you are. You need to change your mentality first!

I knew I was going to take a lot of heat fo being realistic, but it's worth it. You tell me about doing it for the pure joy and passion of cooking, and I will show you countless kitchens that are entirely made up of Mexican workers working 2 jobs (at least) and 80 hour work weeks to feed their families. I don't think they do this because they F'n love to cook. Now it doesn't mean that they come in with bad attitudes and work ethic, and it doesn't mean they don't enjoy what they do. But If these guys aren't stuck, then why don't you tell me what they should go out and do? Because if you got a better paying profession in mind, any of these guys would pick it up in a heartbeat. "Free will"? Are you kidding me? BOH jobs are teetering more towards slave labor now more than ever. I'm not living in culinary school fantasies here people.

Now it doesn't mean that passion, a willingness to learn, and ambition don't matter. It matters a lot. But to answer the questin "why do we continue to cook?" without any fluff, the answer is "that's how you make a living for yourself". That's the bottom line, and at the end of the day, I'm a bottomline type of guy. The question was not "Do you like to cook?" or "Why do you enjoy cooking?".

hmmmm, cooking beets the $hit out of landscaping.

I don't say that to be flip. Think about it.

Exactly. That's like asking someone if they would like to "choose" between $100 and $10. BOH jobs offer many people the opportunity to advance in life with no real education. It's simply the best option for many people, and that's why they continue to cook.

I started cooking at the age of 14, out of necessity. I have worked my way from the bottom to the top of many a craphole. After decades, I have made a name for myself, in my city as being a no-BS kinda guy. Today, I consider myself a chef, not because of schooling, but because I paid my dues. Today, I am approaching 40, and I still cook on the line everyday. Not because I'm stuck; I am co-owner. I cook because it is what I love. It IS challenging, and it IS my passion.

AND, in my life I have been handed nothing. Cooking has helped my wife obtain two masters. We own a four bedroom home, and two new cars. Being at the top of your game will pay off in any profession. To some, hard work is rewarding.

You're only "stuck" if you wish you were doing something else and you can't. If your goals and aspirations are in the industry, regardless of what your other skills may or may not be, you aren't stuck.

Ok so bottom line is most of us HERE sorta ENJOY cooking. That's why we continue to cook. Does that make sense?

I think we have a drunk cat on are hands.
drunkcat.jpg
[/IMG]

I think we have a drunk cat on are hands.
drunkcat.jpg
[/IMG]

For a second I thought that was Salty! But the missing DT damascus cimeter gave it away

BTW did you know that 'cimeter' is a registered trademark of Forschner/Victorinox?

[video=youtube;zH-dQVvLJ_8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH-dQVvLJ_8&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

One word: Recession......
I think cooks are crazy underpaid, and don't get nearly the time off they deserve. They work all the hours when everyone wants to be enjoying a meal, are responsible for producing something we put INSIDE OUR BODIES and don't deserve to get minimal treatment like some kind of office or factory worker.

I remember back when 20+ years ago, cooks were very well paid, treated with great respect and admiration as those in uniform. I was making 10$ hr. But oh, did that dollar buy so much more. I had a beautiful 2bdr. townhouse with my girlfriend, immaculate views for $850 mo. profit margins were 30-40% at your average restaurant. Now that average pay is still 10hr, that same townhouse goes for $3,500mo, and profit margins are from 3-10% (sustainable businesses) What went wrong?

I remember back when 20+ years ago, cooks were very well paid, treated with great respect and admiration as those in uniform. I was making 10$ hr. But oh, did that dollar buy so much more. I had a beautiful 2bdr. townhouse with my girlfriend, immaculate views for $850 mo. profit margins were 30-40% at your average restaurant. Now that average pay is still 10hr, that same townhouse goes for $3,500mo, and profit margins are from 3-10% (sustainable businesses) What went wrong?

What went wrong? Take your pick: Inflation, stagnant earnings, foreign competition and ownership, jobs and manufacturing moved overseas, free trade, lower taxes for the rich from the era of Reagan onwards, changing values like excessive materialism, increase in immigration legitimate or not, lack of respect/rewards for the working man/woman, banking deregulation and securities legislation that's a joke, easily available credit but often at excessive interest rates.

I often consider the lifestyle my parents and I had in the 70's: They owned their own house with a mortgage that was a manageable percentage of income, kept both of us kids in clothes and sports equipment, had two cars, Mom only worked when she wanted to, yearly vacations, always had plentiful and nutritious food on the table and still had enough money left over to save for retirement.

Then, it all went wrong and now we're the generation less well off than our parents with a shorter expected lifespan.

I have a history degree from UNC. I worked for American Express as a financial forecaster. I have worked as a developer and have owned a successful construction supply company. Maybe you're right about people being stuck in this business. Fortunately, most of the people I know in this business prove you're point is wrong. Innovation and creativity sees no boundaries and I have met many people who have had successful careers as lawyers or entrepreneurs like myself and just like to cook. The difference is now is that I do it on my own terms. Will I be doing this in 2, 5, or 10 years? I will if I still enjoy it. If not I'll be doing something else.
Go Duke!!! :)

What went wrong? Take your pick: Inflation, stagnant earnings, foreign competition and ownership, jobs and manufacturing moved overseas, free trade, lower taxes for the rich from the era of Reagan onwards, changing values like excessive materialism, increase in immigration legitimate or not, lack of respect/rewards for the working man/woman, banking deregulation and securities legislation that's a joke, easily available credit but often at excessive interest rates.

I often consider the lifestyle my parents and I had in the 70's: They owned their own house with a mortgage that was a manageable percentage of income, kept both of us kids in clothes and sports equipment, had two cars, Mom only worked when she wanted to, yearly vacations, always had plentiful and nutritious food on the table and still had enough money left over to save for retirement.

Then, it all went wrong and now we're the generation less well off than our parents with a shorter expected lifespan.

Jesus christ, the 20-somethings among us like myself are just now coming to grips with all of this. I'm starting to wonder if the economy will ever turn around.

But, back when our parents were raising us, it wasn't the norm to have internet phones, HD cable, $100 sneakers by the dozen, cars that park themselves, $1000'S IN KITCHEN KNIVES, ;) wives with multiple Coach purses, kitchens with granite, hot tubs, etc, etc.....

Not only do our dollars not go as far, our "norm" is much different....

I think it's more supply and demand. There's just too many people that can do the work for a lot less. Too many people want to cook from the Mexican immagrant to the occasional accountant at your bank. Even with a good economy, I don't think cooks would be making more. The number of jobs would increase, but the pay would be the same. Until the dreams of being a "chef" falls out of favor in America, you can expect to have compete and earn every nickel and dime that comes your way.

I cheered on the crashing market in '08. I wanted it to hit the bottom. I am not upset that it is floundering.

It is the nature of life...seasons come and go, markets go up and down, things happen in waves. To ignore this fact is to throw your life on the whim of your birthdate. When I was a kid, life was pretty sweet for young folks. By the time I hit young adulthood, it started sucking. Then I get a family, and it full-on crashes in to dirt. So I live in the hard times, struggle and stress and work while I am still young and able. When my daughters are 18-25, their life should be pretty sweet, and before that, I will have teenagers during an economic growth period.

I'm not upset about it. I'm playing the long game. You gotta hop on the board before the wave comes, when the water's pulling down. If you get on when the wave hits, you're already too late.

I remember 10 cent beer nights and 25 cent tappers all the time. I mean damn! You could get a nice buz on for a buck!

Funny, I always took the bus. Ended up getting a ticket anyway. I passed out at the stop.

I can't imagine doing anything else in my life right now. Plus there is the added satisfaction of coming home exhausted after a crazy night and passing out. I was an insomniac when I worked 9-5. I can't imagine working the line until I'm 50 but I would love to continue in this industry long after my best line cook days are done.

I can be who I am working in the kitchen. It don't feel comfortable in other environments. My father was a chef as well, It's who I am. I work with the Smartest, most Talented, Accepting incredible people on this earth. People can think they know what you are doing better then you do because when you work with or cook for people who know their s**t it more then makes up for it. With all the frustration, Blood and Sweat, It's who we are.

I've given it up. I used and abused myself, seriously affected my health. Lived like a hermit except for my' working' family. It took me until I was 49 y.o. before I got married, and everyone was suspicious, whats wrong with a guy wo is 50 and never married. My Mom told me my Dad thought I was gay!

I did it because the act of eating wonderful food thrilled my soul. I enjoyed the adrenaline high, I am a social misfit and there I barely fit in. I was good at it, I had an affinity for cooking.

In the end, I burned out. I no longer can stand for 12 hours without my back freezing up. The stress might induce a heart attack. I have arteries like an 80 y.o. and they loaded me up with stents so I could walk more than a (short) block. I have chef's block - everything has been done and I can't think of something different to make my own. I draw a blank when I see Top chef like challenges.

I dearly want to send in a tape to Top Chef, but my wife would kill me if I left her for 6 weeks. I used to dream about cooking now I have nightmares.

I don't know anything else that makes me happy. I am sick and tired of the crap that goes on.

I am Chef, have pity on me, and envy me!

Man, thats some heart felt story telling...

why is it that everyone thinks chef's make more than they do?? And hell, i don't even eat as good as i should. I'm making prime cuts of beef, the nicest game, and the freshest fish. But after the end of my shift you'll find me and a couple buddie eating disco fries and drinking beer. What a life.

+1 I work two restaurants on the same block and after working the whole day around mouth watering brisket, escargot and frog legs, boar sausages and Coq Vin hens, I get off work, eat half a plate of fries with my whisky drink and go find a hole to crawl into. Im not sure why so many people on the line rarely eat, but it's kinda sad. All of my friends think I eat damn well and they're wrong because most days I just forget to eat a meal period. I don't want to eat the food Ive been cooking all day long. I don't know why. I already know what its gone taste like. Its flavor is infused in my brain.

I love this experience. This cooking experience. Its weird, but I enjoy getting yelled at one day by a red faced chef because you were never taught to do something and you messed it up and by the next day doing that something 10 times better and quicker than what the chef told you to do. I enjoy watching the rise and fall of new cooks and dishwashers. I enjoy people making it past the FOH into the kitchen to say -thank you-, I enjoy the conversations and history that come out of recipes. I don't do this for the money even though the money that I make while doing it pays all of the bills, buys the toys, and sometimes even goes to the needy in my neighborhood. I enjoy the silent anticipation of the whole kitchen before a promotion/ firing of someone. I don't know why I have so much adrenaline, I don't do drugs anymore. Working in the kitchen on drugs sucked. I am a teacher, I am a provider and I am one mean looking, but super caring SOAB. I would not fit in "at the office", I can out perform the ladies in FOH, but I don't care much for that job and it's gonna take a lot more than that to make me shave my beard off. I am an entertainer, come to my party and Ill make sure you get taken care of and leave full and happy. Come to my restaurant and Ill make sure you'll get bang for your buck. Step into my life, my kitchen, my house with respect, and Ill return that to you sevenfold. I love art, this is my way of expressing myself. If it was gonna be all about the money, I'd go back to drug dealing, pimping, and stealing. Its about respect for myself and for my neighborhood. Its about having a clear conscience, a solid attitude, and about putting smiles on peoples faces. Kitchen work is a mental challenge, and the cool part about is you can go for that challenge at your own pace, and set that bar as high or as low as you want to. Setting it high and going at it like a rhino is my style, whats yours? Do you love what you do? If not, why are you in it? Legit hard work is good for the soul and is one of those things that will promote healthy, robust relationships in your life no matter what your job is. Nobody likes a slacker. Don't waste my time, I won't waste yours. Respect yourself. Stay sharp.

Back