Why do you love your Shig?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reactivity, microchipping, and easy to bend (on thin knives) are the things that make it a less than perfect knife, but folks find these a manageable trade-off compared to other things the knife offers.

How reactive is the Shig steel compared to, say White #2?

How reactive is the Shig steel compared to, say White #2?

It's not the core steel that's super reactive, it's the cladding. I actually never thought the cladding was all that bad for reactivity, on the two Shigs I've owned, as long as one wipes the blade down regularly. I also found that the reactivity calmed down, as the knife was used.

I have been experimenting a lot with Shig. And just to clear up all confusion about reactivity and stuff.
I will say that reactivity people experience from Shigefusa knives come from Jnat finish ! and how knife is polished.
It is nothing to do with steel ! in fact the cladding Shig uses is used in many other knives that you guys think is not reactive :D

The hazy finish Jnats gives will react much quicker then buffed finish. Also many makers buff knives witch lives grassy and shiny finish that is much less reactive.

But for me i never funded them that reactive i clean my knife and wipe it as i do with all other knives, i never had to adjust my routine to Shig knives

I have certainly noticed that Shigs are a lot less reactive after I've refinished them, for sure.

Core steel reactivity is comparable to white steel reactivity.

Once the soft cladding patinaed, it becomes less reactive, but you still need to watch it, as leaving a knife wet (often it's near the handle) is likely lead to discoloration or rust spots. But that can be said of any carbon steel that doesn't have any chromium in it.

Another point of caution is air humidity. Definitely need to watch for that, particularly if knives haven't built up patina.

M

For those of us who like patina - once that forms there is no reactivity or smell whatsoever. Even after I sharpen it, I run it through some warm meat right away to build it up again and have no issues.

For some reason I could never get myself to like the custom handles I saw on the web. The original handle looks massive, yet perfectly balances the blade at the point of pinch grip. The knife is simultaneously large and agile in your hand, giving you a sense of control. The kitaeji is just pretty. I can stare at it for a long time and not get tired. There is a pattern, but not quite an order, that reminds me of percolation. I like it much more than those damascus blades with highly ordered patterns. It seems the kitaeji is not as hard as blue 2, and does not give a burr as easily, but the blade goes through green onions without stressing them, and easily passes the tomato skin test. Really a joy to use.

I think it's that beautiful swedish steel that produces such a slippery edge - and just hard enough - yet not so brittle that you can sharpen them to a really acute point that might crumble if the steel where just a bit harder. It's a balancing act and a series of choices - not all of which seem to make sense at first - and as you use the knives you keep coming back to them because, though they may require a little more frequent sharpening than some, they work so well when cutting and feel so right, you want to sharpen them just to feel them at their best. Personally I enjoy sharpening my Shigefusa's because they are easy knives to sharpen and I actually feel they give more feedback and conform to my "intention" more easily than most other knives.They don't fight the stone and wear so smoothly that I always feel relaxed and at peace sharpening a Shingefusa. For me the magic of these knives is that they may not be first place in any single category but the choices made and the priorities chosen are evident in every knife: exceptional finish, balance, blade stiffness and a solid feel, ease of sharpening, a slick edge, harmonious geometry, and fine grained steel hardened just to the point of perfection - at least perfect for this knife.

Back