Why mono steel bladed knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGC8

Reaction score
What is the appeal of a mono (honyaki) steel knife? No cladding. Is it just for looks? Is there a functional reason? Making them the preferred choice over a san-mai blade??

To to clarify mono and honyaki are not the same thing. Most mono steel knives are in fact not honyaki.

And some prefer the feel of mono when cutting, less muted feeling.

They don't warp or take bends. Can sometimes feel more "direct".

1 - Agree, they have better "hand" feel (some people call "feedback").
2 - ALso, they are typically "less reactive" ie, they don't rust as much as iron-sided knife

The second point is a bit subtle, because you can san-mai with stainless cladding. But the benefit to carbon is its alot easier to shape iwth stones or absrasives. So thinning a Mono carbon is easeier than a stainless+core type constructction.

One might say that a decent mono knife tends to be a middle ground with better than iron san-mair reactivtivty with easeer than stainless sain-mai lifetime sharpening/thinning.

People wanting to use honyaki vs san mai are probably a different market than "typical mono" as discussed above. Note that honyaki is typically very hard below the hamon. Honyaki are reknowned for good "feel" but not easy thinning.

I find that softer cladding scratches easily, so if it's a migaki finish it will show. Nashiji and hammered finishes hide this better. But, mono steel is hardened throughout, and isn't so impervious to scratching. Also, monosteel carbon takes a wonderful patina, whereas iron cladding just turns shades of orange.

Compared to soft San mai they can't bend, they aren't as reactive and don't scratch as easy. Also with San mai there's the possibility to more or less decarb the middle layer with forgewelding.

Pros for San Mai: you can create a neat looking contrast with stones. ;)

But tbh, for me personally I wouldn't want anything else than a mono steel (or honyaki) blade as my main tool in the prokitchen.

1 - Agree, they have better "hand" feel (some people call "feedback").
2 - ALso, they are typically "less reactive" ie, they don't rust as much as iron-sided knife

The second point is a bit subtle, because you can san-mai with stainless cladding. But the benefit to carbon is its alot easier to shape iwth stones or absrasives. So thinning a Mono carbon is easeier than a stainless+core type constructction.

One might say that a decent mono knife tends to be a middle ground with better than iron san-mair reactivtivty with easeer than stainless sain-mai lifetime sharpening/thinning.

People wanting to use honyaki vs san mai are probably a different market than "typical mono" as discussed above. Note that honyaki is typically very hard below the hamon. Honyaki are reknowned for good "feel" but not easy thinning.
They're also hard to find. And the cost of hinyski forgedf blue. Heh. Kitchen knives that look like Katana's.. sort of. Maybe that's part of their appeal too.
I find that softer cladding scratches easily, so if it's a migaki finish it will show. Nashiji and hammered finishes hide this better. But, mono steel is hardened throughout, and isn't so impervious to scratching. Also, monosteel carbon takes a wonderful patina, whereas iron cladding just turns shades of orange.
Part of it is about the aesthetics.. personal thing. Shine live the rustic look. Some the soling or hammered edge. I prefer the clean look of Honyaki forged knives (like myself).

Back