Why Paula Deen should be banned

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a great read. The biggest benefit is learning somethign about what is happening in our food chain and who is controlling it. The other huge benefit is now that I buy far fewer processed foods my knives get a lot more use. :D

I have received several emails reassuring me that Paula Dean has not been dropped from the 2013 Metropolitan Cooking and Entertainment Show circuit. She apparently is a big draw, as attendance at the DC show dropped about 20% last year supposedly because she cancelled (I think she wanted more $ then they were willing to pay her). Not sure why the organizers think people around here want to see her so badly. I've been to the show the last 2 years, and I'd say the demographics are working against them. I think they will alienate even more than the 5,000 people who theoretically did not attend in 2012 because Paula was not there... Besides, the people who show up to see Paula seem to have very little interest in anything at the display booths; they only want free food samples and to hit up the steak and cheese vendors

now that I buy far fewer processed foods my knives get a lot more use. :D

+1

I have yet to see any real science on HFCS being bad for you...or even distinguishable from cane sugar in human biology. Now...I have all kinds of problems with the politics that have lead to HFCS being the sweetener of choice. (and that's about all I can say on the topic here w/o pushing the mods ;) )

Oooooh! Aaaaaah! You got the high-end generic beer in the bottle. We only had this stuff:

View attachment 16868

Saw generic beer for the last time in College Station, TX in 2001 or 2002. Can looked different but it was that same idea. Tasted like water and sadness.

Ever since PD came into the public zeitgeist I have thought of her not as a Southerner, but the comical depiction of what the corporate interests at the Food Network think of Southerners. Having her as the mascot for "Southern Cooking" is offensive.

Saw generic beer for the last time in College Station, TX in 2001 or 2002. Can looked different but it was that same idea. Tasted like water and sadness.

Ever since PD came into the public zeitgeist I have thought of her not as a Southerner, but the comical depiction of what the corporate interests at the Food Network think of Southerners. Having her as the mascot for "Southern Cooking" is offensive.
+1
also, plenty of fantastic southern chefs that emphasize seasonal ingredients and doing things from scratch. i too resent the assertions found in much of her food and cooking.

There has been story's of how bad her restaurant treats their black employees for years. It's nothing new. She also doesn't make any real food. It's all processed crap. She was the spokeswomen for smithfield for godsake. She is a disgrace to all us southerners who make reel food from scratch. I is what I is my ass.

But she IS what she is. Take a look at her -- she IS totally processed. Her face is covered with pounds of additives and has had a preservation treatment or two (or 10). There is almost nothing real about her. She's turned into a chubby Joan Rivers.

When cycling backroads, I often see cans on the side of the road that just say "Beer" in big letters, these cans are usually red, white, blue.

My teeth hurt reading all of the sweet stuff in that, that being said I would still try it. I have been prooven wrong in the past.

Back