WIP.... custom carbon Sabatier

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rough handle pic.

002.jpg

...About these knives, the blanks I got were rough forged and trimmed. They had to be fully annealed, straightened, rough ground, hardended and tempered, straightened, finish ground, polished. The tangs needed a lot work also. These blades are heavy when they come and need a lot of grinding and straightening. It is easier to make a new knife from scratch...
Sounds like a heckuvalot of work!

I dunno, man, that last pic looks a little clunky......

tradegy at the tip.

While rounding the spine, I got the tip into the wheel and busted off about 3/8 of an inch. Major bummer. I started to reprofile the blade but I thought that I better wait until tomorrow. Some times you have to put things down and start again the next day.

Hoss

028.JPG

Ouch! Glad to see you are human though; lately I've been doubting it :biggrin:

Looking forward to seeing the finished project. Thanks for posting all the WIP pics!

Now, THAT is a beautifully clean, classy-looking knife.

I like the Thomas tip you put on it. Good solution!

That is really cool. These sabs are nothing but fun. I would have been so excited to buy one back in the day, you had to know it was going to be a useful gem even half a century and half a dozen owners later.

+1

Not impressed by the bolster either .)

For those of us that do like the shape of the bolster and really don't mind the heel, this is an incredible knife. If I had some money and were looking for a "sleeper" type knife that you could use in a pro kitchen w/o someone walking off with it, this is probably it!

Exquisite knife
But a closed heel and a thin handle makes me melancholy
That's the reason I do not like knives Sabater

You don't have to like it, you just have to think it's cool.

Hoss

:doublethumbsup: It is very cool. I wish it would have been easier to make then it turned out to be, but I'm still interested in hearing the pricing once you get that worked out. I know a couple people who really love those knives, and snub their noses at gyutos.

Devin has a few more of these, so I am sure you guys can talk him into making one without 'closed heel. Don't forget to ask for detailed pictures - more is always better!.

This way he gets to work out the kinks and I will just copy him. :)

M

Awesome work Devin. You turned a classic back into a classic. Great work!

I'm not currently taking orders on these but thought I'd bump this WIP because of the thread in the main forum area.

Hoss

Back