Wish me luck guys! It's time to get a job

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The offshore industry is the a huge problem for Norway, as employees in public sector uses the offshore industry as a key factor for their own income. The public sector is about to kill the private sector in Norway, and the income keeps rising. Norway is about to become uncompetetive compared to other contries.
Last week some unions went to strike (put down work) and wanted more. People in Norway with 15 days of educations earns 400 000 a year, that is 66 840 USD a year! While my GF getting a Master degree (5 year study) gets 70 000 a year, its insane that people is not rewarded for education here up north.

But also: we got insane incomes, and thats a bad thing for us. The price of living is also pretty high in Norway, where we pay 14 dollars for a bottle of budweiser on a restaurant. Where a the corse meal without drinking is 84 USD on a mediocre restaurant. When me and my GF goes out we use to end up on 350 USD, and thats why we go out only 6 times a year. Welcome to norway where everything is expensive. I can't even afford a vacation this year :(

Do take in account that working at an oil rig is both dangerous and you have to spend lots of time away from home, that's why you earn so much at oil-rigs.
But yes, norway is expensive as hell, but Stavanger is a nice place. But again, expensive as hell.

That's why i would work in norway, live in Sweden

Oil Rigs are one of the safest workplaces, being a farmer in Norway is considered more dangerous :)
And a lot of occupations is being away from home.

The problem with overpaid Off shore industry, is that it is compared to the public sector, who then again kills private sector.
Anyway, come to Norway, its fun here :)

Oil Rigs are one of the safest workplaces, being a farmer in Norway is considered more dangerous :)
And a lot of occupations is being away from home.

The problem with overpaid Off shore industry, is that it is compared to the public sector, who then again kills private sector.
Anyway, come to Norway, its fun here :)

Well - there is always the possibility of it catching on fire (like the one in mexico) and that you'll be caught there if the chopper can't get take everyone or don't have time to get back.
That's something they have to keep in mind, for people to want to work there, and as said the time spent away from home.
Workplaces that need you to travel or stay away from home usually pays more

Do tell me more about the public sector killing the private, it sounds interesting

Public sector got to high income, to many special good offers and a much greater retirement plan.
Private sector is where the real value making is, and there are as much employees in private and public sector things are not going that good.
Its also a far more relaxing day in public sector, meaning they attracks lots of dead meat. Its an evil spiral, making the whole country uncompetetive.

Been a while since I had a relaxing day in the public sector :)

DarKHOeK

Awesome Candlejack! Hope you enjoy the work, I am sure you will do fine! :doublethumbsup:

Cheers

You will do fine. Just don't be to nervous. Ask questions you will not know everything. I know these are easier said than done. Good luck hope it is a fit.

You will do fine. Just don't be to nervous. Ask questions you will not know everything. I know these are easier said than done. Good luck hope it is a fit.

Oh, i ask questions.. i ask lots of questions.. too many i would say
I'm not the best with garnishes and picky stuff like that, that's why AG's more rough style fit me better.. but they were filled now, and i'll use this as a chance to learn to be better at plating and garnishing.
One of the things i really need to learn to be better at!

Sounds like you will do fine. Just pay attention, and let them know you want to learn more about it.

Offshore pays in avarage monthly income of 61 000 NOK i 2011 (that is 10 139 USD a month or 71 638 SEK a month).
I regard this to be an ok income :) You should consider. You also work 2 weeks on and got 2 weeks off, so you can work on land as well (the 2 weeks off) to make a respectable income :)

Yes. You should also tell about the other side of the story.

Some time agoo, when I lived in Stavanger, Ive met a chef-girl who actually worked at rig. True is she worked two weeks and had two weeks off.

BUT

from 61 grand she paid 50 percent tax.

You have to pay for a flat, I wouldnt like to leave all my belongings in a rented room for that long. And Stavanger ic very expensive.

And then you have 14 days off...thats loads of time to do spending, so basically she saved less than me.
And If I worked 350 hours a month, my salary was better.

Candlejack, great news you get a trial shifts at decent place :) Photos looking good so if you get employed, stick to it as long as you are learning new stuff.

50% tax isn't good to know... The rest, are life choices. Where to live (like with parents, or hot share with a sibling/mate who is also in this line), live smaller, live simpler whatever. That is still manageable I think. But once you put 50% tax in, then the pay is effectively 5K a month... which isn't that hot for working 14 days on (but I'm talking to Chefs who work like 30 days on sometimes so...)

Except that I think in the US, where you earn 5K a month, the tax is still pretty high. So the rigs might still be a great way to get capital.

My only input is, you're happiest doing what you want, regardless how much you earn. The earnings part should come later, when there is a need, or when the passion isn't enough.

"My only input is, you're happiest doing what you want, regardless how much you earn."

That's the deal right there.

Tax is not 50%

Your Tax depends on lot of factors, like where you live, how much you need to travel in work, if your married or not, if you have children, how much loans you got, how high salary and so on. And apartments in Stavanger is no more expensive than apartments in Oslo.

Its also in the news today that offshore workes average at 1 000 000 NOK that is 167 923 USD a year. Rather insane figures. The norwegian off shore industry is more than twice the average offshore salary world wide. However Im unsure of what a chef would make on a rig, but it pays good - no doubt.

Norwegian offshore is imo overpayed, and its not good for the rest of our country :)

Back