woes adjusting to wa gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobby

Reaction score
I got my first wa handled knife and I'm having some trouble adjusting to it. This is a tanaka 240mm gyuto. Even though it's a nicer knife than my 240 tojiro dp, i still find myself reaching for the tojiro more often. I find it more comfortable. Some things I am noticing when I use the tanaka... To me I perceive it as being a much larger and unwieldy knife compared to the tojiro even though they are the same size (the tanaka is SLIGHTLY longer). I use a pinch grip and for the most part I do a push cut/chop, occasionally rocking. I am not sure if a 210 wa-gyuto would be more comfortable for me? Also, I am finding the handle rather large, and getting in the way. Maybe a wa handled knife with a shorter flatter profile would be more comfortable for me? Maybe WA just isn't for me? :( THEY'RE SO COOL!

52decc.jpeg

How high is your cutting board? I have a big block on a tall counter, sometimes the longer handles bother me. So I use the block on the dining table.

I got my first wa handled knife and I'm having some trouble adjusting to it. This is a tanaka 240mm gyuto. Even though it's a nicer knife than my 240 tojiro dp, i still find myself reaching for the tojiro more often. I find it more comfortable. Some things I am noticing when I use the tanaka... To me I perceive it as being a much larger and unwieldy knife compared to the tojiro even though they are the same size (the tanaka is SLIGHTLY longer). I use a pinch grip and for the most part I do a push cut/chop, occasionally rocking. I am not sure if a 210 wa-gyuto would be more comfortable for me? Also, I am finding the handle rather large, and getting in the way. Maybe a wa handled knife with a shorter flatter profile would be more comfortable for me? Maybe WA just isn't for me? :( THEY'RE SO COOL!

52decc.jpeg

Personally, I prefer 210mm wa gyutos, and those with octagonal/hexagonal handles only! I would probably have the same reaction to the Tanaka (not a fan of those pool cue handles).

My cutting board at work and at home sit pretty close to about waist level for me, which i find to be a comfortable height. I'm 6' tall if that makes a difference.

Could it be the height that's throwing you off? The Tanaka is a tall blade and even just a few mm make a huge difference.

Maybe adjust your pinch grip a little? You may be pinching too close to the ferrule so it is digging into the side of your pointer finger. If that is the case move the pinch up the blade a couple mms so the pointer finger is not in contact with the edge of the ferrule, and the 3 back fingers are really just supporting the underside of the handle.

Something like this

rwt06o.jpg

Also I have noticed taller blades and or higher cutting surfaces can feel weird, the handle comes a bit too close to your forearm. Perhaps also try a lower bench if possible?

Either a file or sandpaper will make the Tanaka much more comfortable...just need to ease the spine and choil a considerable amount. It is as has been stated a taller blade which makes a difference as well. The other thing that may take a bit of getting used to is the more blade forward balance--this is what will make it worth your while imo. A bit of mineral oil on that ho wood will give the wood a better feel as well.

You mention the Tanaka feeling more unwieldy? Perhaps you are used to the handle heavy western, rather than the blade heavy wa. Maybe a heavier custom wa? Bring the balance back closer to the heel.

You may be able to have a shorter, heavier wa if you go with stabilized wood.

Mowgs

A custom handle will do wonders for that blade.

What about switching it to a hidden tang western handle? It's more common than you might think, and to be honest, I find myself using them more and more often.

Don't give up, I like those tall heel Tanaka's and it does help to round the spine & choil.

+1 on rounding the spine and choil...did wonders for mine. The other thing to try is a hammer grip; it can be really good once you get use to it for 75% of cutting.

I second the idea of a new wa handle on the Tanaka. The stock handles they come with aren't the best quality.

I second the idea of a new wa handle on the Tanaka. The stock handles they come with aren't the best quality.
That is to say the least. Tanaka puts different WA handles on different lines of knives, but all the them in the range from OK to abysmal. A new burned chestnut handle or some custom made one would make a big difference in knife feel.

I'd go for the sandpaper (and/or woodcraft knives) solution on the handle.
If you make it fit better then it's good, if you totally mess it up then you have a good excuse for re-handle.

When you don't adjust to the handle, you make the handle adjust to your hand.
Soviet Russian style maybe. :)

It is not uncomfortable to me in terms of fit or finish. The handle itself is relatively comfortable in my hand and while the spine and coil arent perfect, they're not uncomfortable or sharp. I am finding that using a standard pinch grip, the handle sticks out too much and gets in the way of my forearm. Otherwise if i choke back on the handle, gripping it near the ferrule, it just seems like the blade is huge and I have no control. The height may definitely play a role, as i find the profile of the tojiro better.

I am finding that using a standard pinch grip, the handle sticks out too much and gets in the way of my forearm...

Its true that the wa handles can stick out the back of your hand quite far, but regardless they shouldn't be hitting your forearm. Perhaps your bench is a tad too high, causing your wrist to need to bend down more then normal.

Is your cutting surface above the height of your belly button? :p

Alright, in the spirit of this wonderful forum - to fix this, you need:

New shoes. I really like Sanuk, Reef, or Moccatomic (shout-out, what!?!).

A new cutting board, like a BoardSmith. There's a. New guy at the helm, but Dave is making sure everything goes smoothly, and that quality stays the same. SO, why not support the new guy, and help make a legendary (around here) company transcend generations?

A new belt, like those made by Stark Made.

Shorter forearms. Or is it longer forearms? I dunno. Anyways, I know a doc who can take care of that for you.

Its true that the wa handles can stick out the back of your hand quite far, but regardless they shouldn't be hitting your forearm. Perhaps your bench is a tad too high, causing your wrist to need to bend down more then normal.

Is your cutting surface above the height of your belly button? :p

I've had a similar problem recently with a new knife with a long wa handle--it smacks under my forearm. Measured the kitchen counter--3" above the belly button without a cutting board. I put the cutting board on the lower dining table and tested it out--no more handle problem.

Sounds like we need longer legs.

My cutting board at work and at home sit pretty close to about waist level for me, which i find to be a comfortable height. I'm 6' tall if that makes a difference.

I know where you are coming from, having used western handles many years before Wa's. It does feel different, would encourage to keep using it your brain, motor skills, will adapt to the blade forward Tanaka.

It is good at forward push cuts, even chopping. The Tanaka's have almost a cleaver feel not a bad thing at all. At 6' tall would think the extra handle clearance a plus too. Think it is just the different feel that you are not use too.

Just keep using the Tanaka, it may just grow on you.

I've had a similar problem recently with a new knife with a long wa handle--it smacks under my forearm. Measured the kitchen counter--3" above the belly button without a cutting board. I put the cutting board on the lower dining table and tested it out--no more handle problem.

Sounds like we need longer legs.
My counter is about 9" below my belly button.....3" above?? Are you 4'7

Nope, just short legged. An inheritance from my dad, who was 5' 8" with a 26 inch inseam.

Yeah, it's that Johnny Bravo look...

latest

Not so noticeable depending on the clothes. Dad used to be people he could put his hands flat on the floor without bending his knees. He won a lot of bets that way.

Does make it trickier to use the knife with a long wa handle on a normal kitchen counter. My Westerns are fine, but I really noticed the problem on a new wa 240.

Nope, just short legged. An inheritance from my dad, who was 5' 8" with a 26 inch inseam.

Not to derail this thread but...

My dad is 5'-10" with a 30" inseam. I'm an inch shorter with the same inseam. Our family seems to have short legs and long bodies.

Using a shorter cutting board helps some. I just picked up a wood board that's 1 1/2" tall, and may end up getting rid of it because I've found it's tall enough to be a problem. My Hi Soft at about 3/4" is much more comfortable.

Back