Wok

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, first welcome to the Knut House! Second, it it's old, just send it over to me and I will dispose of it for you! Nonstick is the last thing I would want in a wok, the hi heat that they specialize in would make such a thing a death trap!
Plain steel or iron is the thing that you want, if the size works for what you want to cook, and it fits in your kitchen, it is a good thing.

I don't think they are still around but "great wok of china " hand hammered wok from the old infomercial is great!! I would love a new one myself if anyone finds one, or knows who made it.

Assuming he wasn't kidding (and it doesn't sound like he was), if Chef Niloc thinks you not only have a good wok but a great wok (key word being "Chef" in his username), it will probably get the job done.

Very interesting. Is Chef Niloc still around to get their opinion as well?

I received a "great wok of china" wok in college and must not have seasoned it correctly because it always gave my food an off tinny flavor. I ended up throwing it out in a move about four years ago. Kind of wish I had held on to it and tried to season it again. I guess we learn as we age though.

I have never even seasoned a wok. I really need to research that and learn how regardless...

From what I have seen - you do a normal oil seasoning in the oven and then cook a couple rounds of green onions / pungent greens in it and that's pretty much it.

I have never even seasoned a wok. I really need to research that and learn how regardless...

I season mine with peanut oil just like cast iron using lard or bacon fat. Just keep in mind no detergents when cleaning other wise you need to re-season afterward.

Just sent you a pm
BTW if you don't want it dont eBay it I'll pay you 5x what you payed for it:angel2:

Just sent you a pm
BTW if you don't want it dont eBay it I'll pay you 5x what you payed for it:angel2:

ARRRRRGHHHEEHHH!!!:curse::curse:

Now I really feel bad about getting rid of it. Thanks Chef.

Thanks Chef for the PM!

One just hit eBay recently again but it isn't mine if anyone is wondering, lol.

I haven't decided just yet. I may keep it if he stands behind it so strongly. I'm not sure if I "need" it though, lol.

Back