Work in Progess

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is not koa))) Guess what wood it is?

I agree, some of it is on par with best koa I have seen.

M

Tasmanian blackwood? Looks really nice.

Glad to see you still around, Marko.

Refurbished 240mm MT gyuto in 52100. The knife has been thoroughly thinned, the maker mark was re-applied, the blade was brought to the original hand-rubbed finish, the handle was buffed.

Before
MT Before.jpg

After
DSC_1300.JPG

looks very KSish profile, digging it

Having seen some of my early work recently, I think I am slowly turning back to the profile I started with, less of a workhorse and more of a precise cutter, but I will continue producing knives in different profiles, suited for the work intended (i.e. workhorse will have more metal near the tip).

Some of these are sent out already, some are going out this week (saya finish is still curing)

DSC_1330.JPG

DSC_1323.JPG

DSC_1328.JPG

DSC_1325.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_1324.JPG
    DSC_1324.JPG
    813.1 KB · Views: 150
And forgot to include this picture of a 240mm tall gyuto and a 165mm funayuki

DSC_1332.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work indeed. I in particular like the funayuki (way too few those kind of knives out there) and the gyuto handle in the last photo. And am I seeing a honesuki up there?

Yup, it's 135mm honesuki in AEB-L. Funayuki is a fun knife, I use one at home and it is growing on me. I will make some in 180-225mm range.

I agree funayuki is a very practical design. For me is a sort of 'free-style' small gyuto/santoku cross-over. I have one in about 167mm from Carter, love it to bits.

Your work looks immaculate as usual Marko. I still sometimes take out your knife just to admire the saya.

Boning knives. A couple of scimitars are being finished, as well as a filleting knife.

IMG_0013.JPG

These are about 135mm on the edge, and 23mm at the heel. Full distal taper, convex. AEB-L

Some new work. I think I more or less finalized the boning profile, and kind of like the filleting profile (see picture). Oversize, ergonomic handles.

Octagonal handle with a taper on a gyuto, and with the radius on the a parer.

Handle material - walnut burl (boning, filleting), cocobolo (gyuto), AD ironwood (parer)

The gyuto is S-grind, the other knives - convex grind.

DSC_1345.JPG

DSC_1344.JPG

DSC_1343.JPG

DSC_1342.JPG

I need to work on Christmas sets next, maybe after those are done, I will do some Western boning knives.

M

I want that little paring knife with the beautiful handle!
I have an open slot in my block!

Back