Working Part Time Off Site

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My motives could be considered selfish. I'm doing it for me.

It's amazing how some people devote so much of their time to helping those less fortunate. And many times they are ones who are not that much more fortunate then those they are helping. It didn't take you long at all to see how not matter how misguided some of their operation may be that does not distract from the mission. Different priorities are at work there. And you may be able to eventually help them understand some of the things they are doing may be hampering their overall productivity, and with some small changes they may be able to reduce their burden a little bit.

I think it's admirable that you chose to help out, but IMO you should help out somewhere outside kitchen. I think you're set in your ways and know exactly how something should be done, so this will likely frustrate you. I would also say, do something that has nothing to do with kitchen. For me, since I work with computers all day, it's sharpening and cooking.

Cheers

I respectfully disagree. You see, I was born to cook and work in a kitchen. It's still my first love. However, It's been tainted over the years because of chronic stress.
I get to go there and do something I love with zero stress.

On a side note, things got more interesting today when I met Don, husband of another volunteer. He's a retired metallurgist, does some blacksmithing and had a sharpening business for 17 years.

Life is weird.

I walk in this morning and there is dude with sharpening stones. Blew my mind.

Ozarks.

crazy world we live in man, sometimes out of nowhere life just smacks you in the face, like wake the f up, in good ways and bad ways

I respectfully disagree. You see, I was born to cook and work in a kitchen. It's still my first love. However, It's been tainted over the years because of chronic stress.
I get to go there and do something I love with zero stress.

On a side note, things got more interesting today when I met Don, husband of another volunteer. He's a retired metallurgist, does some blacksmithing and had a sharpening business for 17 years.

Life is weird.

well,

if you have that attitude, then it would def work for you... I just know that for me, when I am in the similar field observing, for example, I often start to say something before shutting up. It's good to give back ;)

I learned right away not to "offer opinions" to the 75 year old matriarch. She flat out quashed any idea of input. God bless her.

It would definitely be hard for me not to say anything, especially after how long u have been doing your OWN thing ITK, but I keep my mouth shut most of the time, only give my input on things when needed, and feel its needed

Good for you Salty.

I've tried this myself, doing some shifts in a canteen that tries to help homeless people in London. (It is a disgrace by the way that we allow people to sleep on the streets in London which is one of the richest cities in the world). I think the challenge in this kind of environment is a immense. I just do it for a couple of weeks (night shift) approaching Christmas, when it is manic and at Easter and Harvest Festival and for special find raising events. One of the volunteers there has been doing it for 17 years and every few days he goes round the nearby big supermarkets and gets some freebies and otherwise buys the most budget food he can find. I have been helping out in a really small way for 5 years but have the selfish luxury of dipping in and out when I feel like it. None of the kitchen crew really has any training - they are in the hot volume game. Staff turnover is very high as they are of course unpaid. Much respect to you for doing this and I am sure your skills will be picked up by some of them, including the matriarch.

Here in Hawaii a lot of people work two jobs including all kitchen work. For me liked working nights so could surf in the daytime. As my freelance Ice Carving business grew was working all the time. Hotels paid me by check so had to put part of income at Kahala in 401K & Ice carving money in Roth & Regular IRA's

I spent money on toys Surfboards, Kayaks, Motorcycles. But was able to save. Now retired have to find ways to keep myself busy. Still love to cook & eat, it's in my blood. Most of my friends are in the industry or retired from it.

in that you have been lucky and running your own ship, the realities of how most kitchens function is not on your radar.
I hate to say this, but what you experienced is the norm and not the exception. The only time I see a good kitchen is when it's an owner/chef situation. Period! I'm 50 and seen more kitchens than I can remember.
friends that have worked at Michelin starred outfits say that it is better. But how many kitchens does that include? That leaves us in this unbelievably dire reality of incompetence.
My personal favorite is, as you bring up, the Plastigloves from hell. Clowns take out the trash, clear the drains and go back to prepping or plating.
There is a good reason I don't frequent restaurants as a diner... Lol

That was interesting and a little frustrating.

The crew is very territorial.
They misinterpret the health codes.
Too many people working.
No definite boss.

So I got to cut stuff up today but........I'm not exaggerating.
Meat has to be cut on a glass cutting board.
You have to wear those cheap clear plastic gloves when touching food. Whether it's going to be cooked or not. On both hands. So yes, I'm cutting on a glass cutting board (I used a house knife) wearing cheap plastic gloves.
So everyone is wondering around the kitchen with these gloves on touching everything else and then go back to touching the food. IT DEFEATS THE PURPOSE!
Hot water quick thaw. (Standing water) They pretend to be very strict with the health codes but they're clueless.
Little Generals and ghosts. (People who disappear)

I took orders like a good soldier.

Good to be back home wearing my crown.

How's it going now Salty? you a part of the crew yet? finding a way to get your Zen or help them get theirs?

Status Quo.

Decided to give them a monthly donation and do more "specific" volunteering rather than wash dishes. With the warmer weather it's slower and they ended their over night sleep program. We were literally bumping into each other.

Not to mention I have three menus to write and introduce.

Heh...that was not among the anticipated answers. Sounds like you're better with where you are now though, cool.

Back