• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Beginner Stone Set

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clsm1955

Reaction score
If you haven’t started hand sharpening yet and want to give it a try, this is a great way to dip your toe in the water without spending much at all. I bought these stones from Sharpening Supplies about one year ago when I was first getting into hand sharpening. Now they can be yours for about half what you’d pay for them new.
The set consists of two Naniwa Economical Sharpening Stones – 1000 grit and 3000 grit – and a Norton Flattening Stone. The sharpening stones originally measured 175X55X15 mm, thought each have lost about 1 mm of thickness from use and flattening. The flattening stone measures 230X77X14 mm. It was probably originally 21 mm thick.
The 1K stone cracked through in two places, but I mended it seamlessly with epoxy. There are no missing pieces and you cannot feel the crack at all. It will not affect the sharpening. The stone is intended to be soaked before use, but I would try to limit the soaking to about 5-10 minutes to prolong its life. The photos should show the cracks.
The 3K is in perfect shape. It is also a soaker.
The flattening stone works well and comes with instructions. It can start to dish over time, but can be re-flattened by rubbing it on 220 grit sandpaper, or, as I do, concrete (I use a 12X12” paver left over from a patio project).
The price for the set is $54, which includes shipping within the US. Original boxes included.
So if you are new to all this, grab these stones and your knives, watch a couple of Youtube videos, and join us down the rabbit hole!

O8bE9It.jpg
[/IMG]
9sB1MGY.jpg
[/IMG]
V0Yqal3.jpg
[/IMG]
Lz9FZrp.jpg
[/IMG]
uOGz3yl.jpg
[/IMG]

Price drop - $50 for the set, domestic shipping and PayPal fees included.

Back