Yanagi is not 100% straight, ok?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have corrected bends on several of my knives quite easily. You should at least give it a try before deciding it's something you can't do yourself.

Paying $300 for a bent yanagi is just not reasonable, which also cannot be replaced with a proper one. I think this Watanabe guy is overrated.

Paying $300 for a bent yanagi is just not reasonable, which also cannot be replaced with a proper one. I think this Watanabe guy is overrated.

Yeah I have heard the same... the steel gets wicked sharp, but I did have the warping issue. I was able to straighten mine and it cuts very well, but what he needs to do is let those blades sit for months, even years before he finishes them. This way they will have moved all they are going to (at least 95% of what they are going to) and the finished product would not need additional repairs. On the other hand you can just go and get a Masamoto KK series and be done with it... BEST YANAGI FOR THE MONEY.

Yeah I have heard the same... the steel gets wicked sharp, but I did have the warping issue. I was able to straighten mine and it cuts very well, but what he needs to do is let those blades sit for months, even years before he finishes them. This way they will have moved all they are going to (at least 95% of what they are going to) and the finished product would not need additional repairs. On the other hand you can just go and get a Masamoto KK series and be done with it... BEST YANAGI FOR THE MONEY.

Have you used a Masamoto KK series knife? Why is it the best bang for bucks?

I use Masamoto KS series knives but has never used any other brands of traditional Japanese knife. I always wonder how it matches up and in what way is it better or worse.

A little update on this.
I returned it back, had to swallow $80 shipping (Canada Post sux). Since Watanabe says he does not see what is wrong with the knife he would not reimburse any shipping (here or back). I am definitely not purchasing anything else from him.
And with such variety of knives, nothing much is missed.

Now, I am back in to square one for my first Yanagiba pursuit.

BTW thanks all for giving your ideas, suggestions, support and sharing the knowledge.

A little update on this.
I returned it back, had to swallow $80 shipping (Canada Post sux). Since Watanabe says he does not see what is wrong with the knife he would not reimburse any shipping (here or back). I am definitely not purchasing anything else from him.
And with such variety of knives, nothing much is missed.

Now, I am back in to square one for my first Yanagiba pursuit.

BTW thanks all for giving your ideas, suggestions, support and sharing the knowledge.

I'd check in with Koki at JCK and see what he can do... The Masamoto KK for "cheap" user Yanagi is great buy

I think you will have trouble finding a knife if you spend time scrutinizing the visual imperfections of a hand forged blade. If you insist on checking for straightness of the blade use a piece of tuna and see how it cuts :)

I think you will have trouble finding a knife if you spend time scrutinizing the visual imperfections of a hand forged blade. If you insist on checking for straightness of the blade use a piece of tuna and see how it cuts :)

This is true as I have seen very high end knives that aren't perfectly straight as well. However in this case, this seems to be an ongoing issue with the maker. I have seen this type of post before and I have had a Watanabe do the same to me. I've also had a Mizuno Tanrenjo (2 actually) do the same. The makers I've never seen this from are Shigefusa, Doi, and Masmoto (though with the volume of masamotos out there, there are bound to be a few). The only solution here is to hand inspect the knife before you buy it, or if buying online ask the seller to make sure the blade is dead straight. Other than that it can be a crap shoot.

Not like I have a huge collection, but this was the first knife that is not straight and I have items from various makers. If the knife would be little bit shorter or longer, or machi gap is not completely as advertised that's fine on a hand forged blade, some other minor imperfections are fine with me. But common, its not damn straight.
It looks like the main point why I returned gone lost in 7 pages, its not just because yanagi was not 100% straight, it was because of Watanabe's attitude when I incurred about this "issue".

I'd check in with Koki at JCK and see what he can do... The Masamoto KK for "cheap" user Yanagi is great buy
If I go with Masamoto I will most likely end up with KS series. I kinda bumped my budget to ~$400

Not like I have a huge collection, but this was the first knife that is not straight and I have items from various makers. If the knife would be little bit shorter or longer, or machi gap is not completely as advertised that's fine on a hand forged blade, some other minor imperfections are fine with me. But common, its not damn straight.
It looks like the main point why I returned gone lost in 7 pages, its not just because yanagi was not 100% straight, it was because of Watanabe's attitude when I incurred about this "issue".

If I go with Masamoto I will most likely end up with KS series. I kinda bumped my budget to ~$400

KS will be easier to sharpen... KK needs to be "opened up" a little more... same knife though

I feel the same. Longer / shorter or inconsistent handle gap is just fine. But saying "it's just a kitchen knife" just sux, if the Yanagi is a cheap one like Yamawaku, then it's completely fine, for the price. Boycott this Watanabe.:no:

Its problem always afflicts us.

Although I am not a blacksmith, when I sell them, in order to avoid a foregin customer's disappointment, I am inspecting them one by one.
There are very few knives which I picked up.
Furthermore, they has a risk of turning by time progress.

Then, are the knives which I did not pick up defective product?
I don't think so.
In fact, they are sold in Japan as a genuine product.
I think that a slight bend does not affect the usual use, and since the pro-chefs knows those characteristics, it is fixed by themselves(expect HONYAKI).

Not almost all knives are for $3000 and a blacksmith is making as not for a collection but a tool.

I agree with bluebird... the knife is designed to be used and not looked at. it sounds like you've not made any effort to try to use or sharpen it and have no idea if there is any impact. no vendor or smith here has been able to offer you solid advice whether you should spend to fix it or leave as a result of that either.

the knife is designed to cut well and not specifically to sit flat on a table... if it really cannot cut straight or cannot be sharpened then there's a real issue.

wabi sabi, anyone

I personally believe that when your making a real big cut, you know, the time when you really need to use the whole length for the slice. A bent yanagiba like that will not cut a straight line perfectly. I believe..:dontknow:

Maybe that crooked yanagiba can be used for removing fish scales as well.:hungry:

no vendor or smith here has been able to offer you solid advice whether you should spend to fix it or leave as a result of that either.
Ummmm, I think it was quite clear after first two pages that it's better to fix it. Did we read the same thread?

it sounds like you've not made any effort to try to use or sharpen it and have no idea if there is any impact.
Live thought me that if something is ought to be return you better no use it, or alter in any way. That's why the post here to understand things better.

I feel the same. Longer / shorter or inconsistent handle gap is just fine. But saying "it's just a kitchen knife" just sux, if the Yanagi is a cheap one like Yamawaku, then it's completely fine, for the price. Boycott this Watanabe.
Yep, we are on the same page :plus1:

Bluebird814, looks like you understand the foreign market quite well. Kudos!

I totally feel you coz I returned such bent yanagiba back to Metalmaster some time ago and he said he already sent a new knife to me, I asked him about the tracking number, he didn't reply for a few days. I think I'm screwed, I'm crossing my fingers and wait.:dontknow:

I totally feel you coz I returned such bent yanagiba back to Metalmaster some time ago and he said he already sent a new knife to me, I asked him about the tracking number, he didn't reply for a few days. I think I'm screwed, I'm crossing my fingers and wait.:dontknow:

Metalmaster often doesn't reply for quite a while, don't worry about it.

You know I just checked my Watanabe, and it had moved AGAIN...lol. I did manage to straighten it, but only probably because it's a 240 Takohiki, the longer blades are a little more difficult. Mind you this knife had been sitting for about 2 years...

You know I just checked my Watanabe, and it had moved AGAIN...lol. I did manage to straighten it, but only probably because it's a 240 Takohiki, the longer blades are a little more difficult. Mind you this knife had been sitting for about 2 years...

does keeping the knife in a good-fitting saya or place some heavy weight on it help at all? sorry, probably an ignorant question ... :scratchhead:

does keeping the knife in a good-fitting saya or place some heavy weight on it help at all? sorry, probably an ignorant question ... :scratchhead:

You know tight fitting saya would probably help... this one doesn't have one. As far as placing something heavy on it... yeah that would work too... but you also risk damaging the blade with that. I wonder if putting it in the lower end of a large phone book (or any large book) would work? Though honesty this shouldn't have to be done. My masamoto has been just as dormant and it is still dead straight. I imagine the jigane Watanabe uses may be the culprit here.

You know tight fitting saya would probably help... this one doesn't have one. As far as placing something heavy on it... yeah that would work too... but you also risk damaging the blade with that. I wonder if putting it in the lower end of a large phone book (or any large book) would work? Though honesty this shouldn't have to be done. My masamoto has been just as dormant and it is still dead straight. I imagine the jigane Watanabe uses may be the culprit here.

I checked my masamoto KS and HA yanagiba and they are dead straight as well. you maybe right about the jigane that Watanabe uses ...

yeah my Masamoto is the KK.... and even that has never budged an inch

:(
I hope your situation will get resolve soon in favorable manner.

You know tight fitting saya would probably help... this one doesn't have one.
Yep, does not come with one. A matching saya from him would run another $100

For what its worth, ALL clad knives have a tendency to warp (honyaki knives are much less likely, except during the making process)

here are factors that effect warping:
-ni-mai knives are more likely to warp than san-mai
-the type of cladding that is used can effect the speed of warping
-the post hot forging handling of the steel can effect warping
-the cold forging of the steel can effect warping
-how long the steel rests post forging and post sharpening will effect warping
-local environmental conditions (i.e. weather, humidity, etc.) can effect warping

Correcting warping is a normal part of knife maintenance. Also having one blade that hasnt warped is not a sign that an entire series does not warp.

Back