yes I can or another damascus Blade

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say go Kramer-esque, to prove you can make one just as nice (or nicer?) Go with mokume/or dammy bolster, and ironwood scales. How do you feel about brass bolsters and pins?

I don't mind Brass at all, I use it for most of my hunting/pronghorn style knives. I do like the idea but whent ahead with the damascus bolsters today, but I can still go with Iron wood.

Don, I Have never actually Had One of Bob's knives in My hand so don't really have Much to say about it. It is possible that the hollow is there to help reduce weight in the blade and thin things out behind the edge. I can see a possible need for this with Bob's wide blade style.

These are just some random thoughts though.

That makes sense - I didn't think about the height of his knives.

But wow, 2.5mm thickness convexed to a zero edge. The edge doesn't get too frail when it gets so thin? Do you have to go absurdly slow on the grinder (or even by hand) when you get close to thickness? Even on slowest setting on the KMG it seems like steel can still get very hot with thin cross sections.

That makes sense - I didn't think about the height of his knives.

But wow, 2.5mm thickness convexed to a zero edge. The edge doesn't get too frail when it gets so thin? Do you have to go absurdly slow on the grinder (or even by hand) when you get close to thickness? Even on slowest setting on the KMG it seems like steel can still get very hot with thin cross sections.

It can get hot but if you use new belts and a slow speed it is not too bad. I grind by hand with no gloves so I feel the heat build up before it gets hot enough to affect the temper of the blade. My "normal" grind is not very fragile but I have ground some very thin cross sections that I thought could be.

Hey Bill
Thanks for directing me to this forum
Looks like I may have found a new eCave

Pattern and control is spectacular
Look forward to seeing this one completed
Congrats

Did you ever take photos of the finished knife?
I bet it turned out great.

Finished article :bigeek:

91519_1_b.jpg

The skill that goes into making that pattern always impressed me, but astetically i never got that excited because its difficult to ballance a pattern like that with the rest of the materials, so most times the end result is too busy. However, that knife (astetically) is perhaps the closest to (imo) a perfectly balaced and executed example as I've ever seen. Great choice on the bolster and handle material, proportions, angles, etc.
Very
Very
Impressive

stunning knife ..an artisan in command of his medium ...Perfect

I like yours a lot better than Kramers. Not sure why the difference, but then I am not going back and forth looking for differences. I agree with the choice on bolster, and handle.

The finished knife with several additional photos is now posted on Epicurean Edge. You can see it here:

http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=91519

I especially love how Bill alternated images in light and dark tones. Really nice coke bottle shaped handle. The ziricote wood has a walnut-like tone with a really nice, convoluted figure.

-daniel

Did you ever take photos of the finished knife?
I bet it turned out great.

The finished knife with several additional photos is now posted on Epicurean Edge. You can see it here:

I especially love how Bill alternated images in light and dark tones. Really nice coke bottle shaped handle. The ziricote wood has a walnut-like tone with a really nice, convoluted figure.

-daniel
Daniel, I've been ogling the photos on your site all morning!!! I'd love to see a short video of the knife if it was possible.

-daniel

Prettier than a Kramer, better profile, and fewer 0's in the price... what a deal!

Im Happy That its sold..The torment was becoming unbearable
Hope somebody here snagged her and will put it through the paces..Bills Knives are Beast!

Finished article :bigeek:

91519_1_b.jpg

I don' know how I kept missing this. I was looking around for pictures and finally found them...not sure why it was so hard, but still.... This knife looks virility ally perfect! I love the mild, yet stunning handle paired with the damascus. Gorgeous, Bill!

I don' know how I kept missing this. I was looking around for pictures and finally found them...not sure why it was so hard, but still.... This knife looks virility ally perfect! I love the mild, yet stunning handle paired with the damascus. Gorgeous, Bill!

thanks all. this was a fun knife to do.

Haha. I swear I wasn't drunk at 10:45am....

I believe this is the mosaic damascus knife I bought on BG last month. The high light of my collection. I really really love this knife.

cool, BG means somthing totally dif. to me. (battle ground) To much a wow nerd.

This is one knife I don't often bring to work. To risky. If you let me know in advance I'd bring it in though.

Back