Yoshikane Shirogami 2 Nashiji Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am considering purchasing a Yoshikane Shirogame 2 Nashiji Gyuto 240. I would appreciate comments from those who have experience with this knife. Thanks in advance.
motivational just do it GIF

Had one from KnS a while back. Very good cutter with a very flat profile, like all Yoshis. I prefer the nashiji finish, which feels very grippy and robust, to the hammered/KU version. Would recommend one with a burnt chestnut handle vs. KnS ebony handles for balance purposes.

I'd take the SKD version over white 2 any day, but that's just me.

Very good knife. Flat profile. Not ideal for rock chopping. Thinly ground wide bevel. Not quite a laser but close. Glides through hard foods. Sticks a little in wet foods. Bevels almost flat. Stainless clad. White2 steel is easy to sharpen. Ordinary edge retention, worse in acidic foods.

If you can get the SKD version, it has better edge retention, much better acid resistance and is not much harder to sharpen.

Like everyone has said they’re pretty great for the price. I’d take a good look at that profile and make sure it makes sense for the kind of cutting you do.

I have one from KnS as my big knife (home user) and recommend it.

They have a reputation for a hard stop at the heel, so don't be afraid to work on it to add a curve at the very end.
Mine had a grind defect there so I needed to work on that area anyway which helped with hesitation to modify a new knife.

I love mine. I think Yoshi is kind of the platonic ideal of Japanese knives. Amazing cutter, crazy thin behind the edge, looks good. Its not exactly a laser but has that laser feel without feeling flimsy or delicate. I have only used SKD not White but I wouldn't expect much of a difference.

Yoshi's SKD can cut tomatoes a lot longer than White because of how white steel has terrible corrosion resistance. It's good to note if you plan to get it for a lot of acidic foods.

I've both SKD and white versions of the nashiji 240. Both great cutters, my favorite "off the shelf" Japanese knife. I have a slight preference for the SKD because I don't have to wipe it down so often while working. Other than that I have to look at the handle/saya to tell them apart.

At this price range, it's hard to get something better than a Yoshi. Great f&f, very good grind, feels like a laser but is definitely a lot less fragile than one, good looks. I own a SKD 240mm Gyuto and it is my favourite knife on my roll. If I had the option, I'd go for the SKD version just because of the better edge retention and less dedication on making sure the knife doesn't rust. SKD will form a very light patina over time but you would have to be really negligent to let it rust. Also, sharpenability wouldn't be that different from the W2. But you'll definitely get an amazing knife no matter what you choose

I have one from KnS as my big knife (home user) and recommend it.

They have a reputation for a hard stop at the heel, so don't be afraid to work on it to add a curve at the very end.
Mine had a grind defect there so I needed to work on that area anyway which helped with hesitation to modify a new knife.
Is it really a problem to use it as such? Does it really feel like a hard stop? Most people seem to be okay with it.
I really like my bunka and thinking to go for a 240 gyuto also.

I've both SKD and white versions of the nashiji 240. Both great cutters, my favorite "off the shelf" Japanese knife. I have a slight preference for the SKD because I don't have to wipe it down so often while working. Other than that I have to look at the handle/saya to tell them apart.
You're not too bothered by the flat profile?

I bought the Yoshikane SKD 240mm off Japan woodworker years ago. Used it at work really liked that blade. Excellent for peeling fruits like pineapple. Flat edge profile light & nimble for speed cutting.

I sold it to a culinary student after I retired. Kind of regrited it. Last year picked up a 210 skd from K&S for home use the skd is semi stainless at best. Great knife

I bought a 240mm in white #2 a couple of months ago, and it is by far the best cutter I have. It arrived extremely sharp out of the box, and I have yet to sharpen it. Although you might have to sharpen a white #2 blade a little more than SKD, the sharpness is worth the work. Just buy the white #2 if that's what you want.

Is it really a problem to use it as such? Does it really feel like a hard stop? Most people seem to be okay with it.
The problem is that whether a Yoshikane 'works' for you is very hard to predict. For almost every person who loves their Yoshi, you'll find someone else who sold it on because it didn't work for them.
I'm in the latter camp... but it's hard to put my finger at why it didn't work for me. I generally like knives with low blade height so that's not really the problem... but the profile just didn't really work for me, and even after using it for a while it was still giving me a lot of accordeon cuts.
Why that is? It probably has something to do with the interaction between your body height, arm length, counter-top height, etc.

Generally speaking if you are getting a Yoshi I'd always get the SKD version. Same knife, less reactivity, more win!

I have SKD and love the knife. I mirror all the above comments. Lasery and quite thin behind edge but not flimsy. Glides through hard veg. Some sticking to wet product that isn’t great, but not enough to not like it. No comments on edge retention or sharpening (SKD) because it’s to new to me, but again the above comments have already said everything I think. I’d buy with confidence.

When cutting with the flat section I use a push cut motion so don't notice it as much, but the slight relief at the heel makes it feel like a more natural motion if you start closer to the tip and then push the handle down as you go.

I have a feeling that how much it impacts you is dependant on your cutting style.

Back