Your Dream (Home) Kitchen

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get more fridge/ freezer space then you think you need. Wish we would have ponied up for large fridge and freezer during our project last year. At the time, the Maytag seemed plenty big, plus it was only a couple years old. It seemed silly to drop a few thousand $. But we now are constantly short on freezer space, and often need more refrigeration space (leading up to dinners, etc.). Will probably wind up w/ installing a fridge/ freezer in the basement to get more space.

More then 1 sink is great, and make one as friggin' big as you can fit into the space. And go single basin only -- no two or three compartments, as it makes it tough to wash bigger pots and pans, etc. A high faucet is helpful as well.

Run more electrical circuits then your electrician says you need, so you can use various applicances, etc. without danger of popping circuit breakers. And put in a ton of ceiling lights! Hanging a couple pendants over an island does not make for proper working light. We consulted a real lighting designer and wound up with 3x the amount of fixtures the architect put on the plans. Oh, and undercabinet lights can help if you will be prepping below wall cabinets.

+1 on the single basin sink. my apartment was barely updated since the 50s, before I moved in, and I was pleased when the owner put in a big and deep single sink.

I personally like double basins, but they have to be big. I really dislike small basins or when they throw in that token tiny vegetable basin that is completely useless. Something like this is my preference.

k.

dornbacht.jpg

Hmmm, looking at that pic the basins are too small for washing decent-sized pots/ pans, roasting pans, baking sheets, etc.

Hmmm, looking at that pic the basins are too small for washing decent-sized pots/ pans, roasting pans, baking sheets, etc.

They might be. I don't know the exact specs, but they look bigger than mine and I can fit an 8 qt all-clad stock pot in the both of my sink bowls. I have an Elkay that is similar to this one in size. Regardless, in the end I would rather two separate sinks. One with a pull-down faucet like in restaurants (that is what I have now), and another large-bowled regular sink with a foot pedal to turn on the water.

Btw, I also like the stainless drainers attached to the sinks. They are all over Europe, but they are hard to find here in the US.

k.

elkay.png

Dude, I bet you guys my left nut I have the smallest kitchen of anyone here. 76"x90", that has a double basin sink, full sized fridge, cruddy electric stove, and some cabinets. I am the kitchen island in this one. You cant have the stove door and the fridge door open at the same time, and I have to move the stove to open one of the cabinet doors on the bottom all the way. The cabinets hold my BlendTek, KitchenAid Mixer with a gazillion attachments, dishes, a surprising array of spices, rice cooker, pots, pans, a large collection of honey, waffle maker, krumkake maker, blend stick, cookie and pizza sheets, crock pot, and cereal boxes. I am pretty sure that I pump more food out of this kitchen than anyone on the block as I have people over for dinner almost every night. Wish I could just stop my knife/ razor/ fountain pen/ watch/ hoodie/ book ADs and save up a simple $1000 for a Big Green Egg and toss the beloved barely working BBQ out so that my "kitchen" space could grow just a little bit.

Some great ideas here, but since Hawaii has no lottery, they don't really help me much :(

I was always wondering about a modular work surface that would hide some appliances underneath it, e.g. you push a button and your slicer comes up, push it again, it disappears and you have work surface again. Easier than shlepping the things there every time you need them. Of course, I would need a coffee station with water hook-up. A friend had a rolling wooden (cherry) cabinet custom made that I love. On one side he has a reasonably powerful wok burner with a propane bottle below, on the other side he can cool beer kegs up to 50l and there is a tab on top. Talk about a party station :) walk in wine storage would be great, but a few wine fridges with different temperatures would also be o.k.

I love open kitchen concepts, so a bar that opens into the dining area would be a must - and since we have one, an extra sink, fridge, ice maker etc for a functioning bar would also be nice. And the open kitchen also requires a powerful hood - powerful enough to roast coffee without starting the sprinkler system... And I like the idea of having a pc station with web access in the kitchen - especially if I can also use it to monitor or control the temperature of my woodfire pizza oven outside :)

Stefan

I have always had a thing for dyed concrete counter tops. If I had my choice...and I don't that is what I would get. I would couple that with walnut cabinets and LOTS of lighting, a center island with a produce sink and a pot faucet over my 6 burner/one center grill stove with a quiet hood vent that vents to the outside. (why the heck do they make vents that vent back inside)

+1 to whoever said they hate electric stovetops. Our new house has this hightech digi Bosch stovetop...I hate the damn thing. It is either too hot or too cold, never perfect. Miss my stand alone gas unit.

The double decker electric convection ovens are pretty sweet, though...

I personally like double basins, but they have to be big.
k.

To some people a 240 gyuto is big, huge. My sink is adequate at 29" x 16 x 10.

Why are double basins important to you?

To some people a 240 gyuto is big, huge. My sink is adequate at 29" x 16 x 10.

Why are double basins important to you?

It has to do with how I hand wash dishes. I keep one basin half filled with hot soapy water in the morning and again while I cook in the evening -- so I wash as I go. With one basin I can't do that, as you just end up rinsing food, protein juices, etc into the dish water. I also find that there are circumstance when having segregated wash bowls is handy (when dealing with proteins for instance). But mostly, it is related to hand washing dishes that can't go in the dishwasher. I've become very efficient in use of water, and when I have to hand wash in single-basin sinks, I end up using a lot more water.

k.

Back