Your Family Meals

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no more staff meals! majority of wait/bar staff don't appreciate, some even have the gall to complain about free food... drives me nuts. i have no problem sharing kitchen staff grub thrown together from scraps(when time allows) with dishwashers though.

holy **** is this spot on! seriously then they come to me or another line cook and ask for this or that.

So for about a year straight, Sunday nights were burger nights. It's just the way it was. There was always a surplus from brunch. Fresh ground Hanger, house made buns, and I or somebody else would take advantage of the slow business and really go balls to the wall with condiments. Guys from other restaurants started to hear about it, and ask what we'd done for sides that week. The kitchen crew would come in on their nights off to join in. We'd wait all week just to finish service, have a beer, and enjoy THE BURGER. It became legendary. The waitstaff loved it.

Except for one highly annoying server. They started complaining about how every Sunday they had to eat the same thing. And her crap started to poison some of the new front of house hires. And all of sudden the fun was gone. Just like that. No more burger nights.

No more burger nights...

So for about a year straight, Sunday nights were burger nights. It's just the way it was. There was always a surplus from brunch. Fresh ground Hanger, house made buns, and I or somebody else would take advantage of the slow business and really go balls to the wall with condiments. Guys from other restaurants started to hear about it, and ask what we'd done for sides that week. The kitchen crew would come in on their nights off to join in. We'd wait all week just to finish service, have a beer, and enjoy THE BURGER. It became legendary. The waitstaff loved it.

Except for one highly annoying server. They started complaining about how every Sunday they had to eat the same thing. And her crap started to poison some of the new front of house hires. And all of sudden the fun was gone. Just like that. No more burger nights.

No more burger nights...

**** man! ******* burger night man!

You forgot the part where they load up 2 to go boxes to take home for later before people on the floor actually working can get any but then they just forget about it and leave it in the service fridge overnight only to be thrown out the next day.

Yep they just act like it's theirs for the taking

No more burger nights...
Why would you grind hanger steak for burgers.

holy **** is this spot on! seriously then they come to me or another line cook and ask for this or that.

Yes. It is the same every where. I've heard of restaurants charging waiters $5 a day for family. I am thinking of instituting this. I had one complain tonight that she only made $300 on her double today. A waiters double is only ten hours. I haven't worked less then ten hours in years and I have never made that much in a day.

Btw- we don't grind the useable steaks, just the the cuts that are under 8 oz. Which with hanger is usually a considerable amount.

ground hanger steak, wow that sounds delicious, how about mixing it with some ground short rib too? btw the one time i ate at the grill room in old port, ordered the hanger steak, NOT impressed. the roasted beets side however were fantastic! :D

Latest posts

Back