Your Favourite Wines...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still thinking about sweet wine. So, I drink some German white wine mainly kabinett but they have spatlese, and auslese. The later 2 are on the sweeter side. Do you drink spatlese and auslese by themselves or do you have them with food? What food?

Reactions: JDC
I quite like Ice Wine, though it's fearsomely expensive! I assume in the US that wines made with freezing / cryo-extraction aren't allowed to label themselves 'Ice Wine'...? (They certainly can't in Europe or Canada.)

I googled it and it seems Californians can freeze grapes and call it ice wine. I read a lot wineries are using the term iced instead of ice.

I think I am ready for a sauterne wine to buy next. Any recommendations?

Maybe
Chateau Guiraud Sauternes, 2013

Chateau Doisy-Vedrines Sauternes, 2017

Chateau Guiraud Sauternes, 2011

Chateau Suduiraut Sauternes, 2017

Chateau Guiraud Sauternes, 2017

Last edited:
I am still thinking about sweet wine. So, I drink some German white wine mainly kabinett but they have spatlese, and auslese. The later 2 are on the sweeter side. Do you drink spatlese and auslese by themselves or do you have them with food? What food?
Some options: cheese platter, foie gras, asparagus, flaky savoury pastry, cake, creme caramel.

This is a tough one. It depends on the wine. Not all Auslesen are the same. I would happily have a Mosel auslese with some pork and apple or something mildly spicy. Some people really struggle to pair off-dry wines with food, at all. Other versions are more clearly into dessert territory -- I'm thinking of the Pfalz. Alsace is even more confusing. You really have to know the individual wine. You can get a clue by looking at the alcohol level, to figure out just how sweet it's likely to be, but it is imperfect.

So I went to my local wine store actually 3 stores. I did not like what they had at the first 2 stores. I went in with the idea to buy a sweet wine. I don't normally drink sweet wine and it has been a couple of years since I have bought any. I found a couple of nice sauterne wines not the one I had a couple of years ago. I bought some German wines a few spatlese, and auslese and 1 kabinett. I had to pay $43 for one of the German wines which seems excessive for a German wine, any way the cute wine girl said it really was good.
I bought a case to get the discount. There are a few ports and 2 Bordeaux not sweet. She said they were really good. It filled out my case. I don't buy Bordeaux any more as they have gotten expensive and I find I like California wines better but I was feeling I wanted something not normal this trip.

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

Last edited:
i'm biased. i live in Sonoma wine country.

right now it's Merry Edwards Pinot. not too expensive and i think its spectacular. i dont like whites as much, but ME's SavB is my favorite by a long shot.

So I went to my local wine store actually 3 stores. I did not like what they had at the first 2 stores. I went in with the idea to buy a sweet wine. I don't normally drink sweet wine and it has been a couple of years since I have bought any. I found a couple of nice sauterne wines not the one I had a couple of years ago. I bought some German wines a few spatlese, and auslese and 1 kabinett. I had to pay $43 for one of the German wines which seems excessive for a German wine, any way the cute wine girl said it really was good.
I bought a case to get the discount. There are a few ports and 2 Bordeaux not sweet. She said they were really good. It filled out my case. I don't buy Bordeaux any more as they have gotten expensive and I find I like California wines better but I was feeling I wanted something not normal this trip.

View attachment 134447

View attachment 134448

That looks like a nice interesting selection!

$43 doesn't sound too bad tbh... I don't know this for a fact but I'd guess the most expensive white wine in the world in terms of $/L would probably be some kind of sweet (TBA) German Riesling.

[Edit - Here we go... you got off lightly ;) Riesling | Most Prized Grape on Earth ]

Last edited:
i'm biased. i live in Sonoma wine country.

right now it's Merry Edwards Pinot. not too expensive and i think its spectacular. i dont like whites as much, but ME's SavB is my favorite by a long shot.

California reds are my favorite also. I was on a quest to buy something different than I normally drink.

I will see if I can find Merry Edwards Pinot next. I think Saintsbury is one of the better Pinots I had. I like the Lee's area which matches my name.

When I go to NAPA I find some really nice wines. My brother-in-law lives in NAPA. Covid has me shutdown still. I am limited on what I can find in Austin Texas. I forget sometimes that I don't have access to all the wines I like.

What year for Merry Edwards Pinot 2017 or 2018?

Last edited:
For Pinot, I like Rhys and Dumol. For Chardonnay, I like Dumol, Rhys, Ramey and Hudson. For Zin, I like Rafanelli and Turley.

For Bordeaux, the list is vast, but my fav is Angelus. I just cant afford it! Value Bordeaux I like Canon La Gafferiere, Grand Mayne, Malartic La Graviere and many others.

I like Cloudy Bay for sau blanc.

I had a nice 2012 Sojourn Cab the other night. It surprised me it was so good. About $70 retail I think.
Big fan of good Zin and a have been on the Turley mailing list for decades. Have you had Hendry before?

For PN try Archery Summit from the Willamette vineyard.

California reds are my favorite also. I was on a quest to buy something different than I normally drink.

I will see if I can find Merry Edwards Pinot next. I think Saintsbury is one of the better Pinots I had. I like the Lee's area which matches my name.

When I go to NAPA I find some really nice wines. My brother-in-law lives in NAPA. Covid has me shutdown still. I am limited on what I can find in Austin Texas. I forget sometimes that I don't have access to all the wines I like.

What year for Merry Edwards Pinot 2017 or 2018?
My last bottle was 2018 bud. I love Austin Tex!

As Michi and Cliff said, they go well with cheese, lighter meat dishes of chicken and pork, and some desserts.

I have found they can also go pretty well with some Asian food. The combination of good acid and residual sugar stands up well to ginger, chilis etc.

I drink more Oregon Pinot Noirs than California but the cooler climate California are very good. For California, I like anything from Walter Hansel, $40 - $50.

A lot of the California Pinot Noirs are overripe to me. For instance, Belle Glos is usually near 15% ABV. If I want an alcoholic ripe wine I drink Zinfandel, usually something from Ridge.

did anyone mention Italian (Puglia) Primitivo with it's rich tannins and stew-y blackberries and red fruits yet?
(just put one in the fridge)

This is absolutely *stunning*:

IMG_1885.jpg

It's the best release of this wine I've ever tasted, including the "Vintage of a Lifetime" 2016. They're not dissimilar, but the '19 is more nervous and sappy; really, really gorgeous.*

I actually visited Produttori and a number of other Piemontese producers toward the end of the summer in 2019, maybe 4 to 6 weeks before harvest. There was cautious optimism about the vintage, but I don't think anyone was thinking it'd turn out as good as it did.

* TBH I don't know if PdB bottled the Crus in 2019. I assume they did, but if they didn't - then that would probably explain some of the exceptional quality here.

Last edited:
I'm on a bit of an Italian wine kick at the moment. Picked up the Alchymia at Aldi which supposedly scored 98 by Luca Maroni. For 9 Euro worth a punt. The 2019 Jorche Primitivo Reserva is highly rated on Vivino scoring 4.4 and has a crazy 16% abv content vs 14.5% for the Alchymia. I got the last 2 bottles in the store on sale for 21 euro each. Expecting great things for the Jorche.

IMG_6870.jpeg

This is absolutely *stunning*:

View attachment 290085

It's the best release of this wine I've ever tasted, including the "Vintage of a Lifetime" 2016. They're not dissimilar, but the '19 is more nervous and sappy; really, really gorgeous.*

I actually visited Produttori and a number of other Piemontese producers toward the end of the summer in 2019, maybe 4 to 6 weeks before harvest. There was cautious optimism about the quality, but I don't think anyone was thinking it'd turn out as good as it did.

* I don't actually know if PdB made the Crus in 2019. I assume they did, but if they didn't - then that would probably explain some of the exceptional quality of this wine.
These guys make some of the best barbaresco out there

These guys make some of the best barbaresco out there

Yep! And I'm certainly going to be buying more of this vintage. The '19 Langhe Nebb was superb too if ever you see any last bottles of that anywhere.

Gaja and maybe Giacosa are the only producers I'd put (marginally) ahead, and both are obviously 5x the price. I love Produttori more than I love Gaja.

A really really good wine for a delicate palate! 👌🏻

Attachments

• IMG_1068.jpeg
    IMG_1068.jpeg
    866 KB · Views: 0
I checked my cellar and found a few more bottles of the most controversial wine ever made. I haven’t tried it in a while but it tastes like a good old bordeaux.
IMG_0115.jpeg

For reference, two prominent critics nearly came to blows over it:
Parker and Robinson in war of words

Anyway, no surprise - Parker was right.

I thought this would be interesting for discussion but probably long forgotten.

Back