Your go-to stainless knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IsoJ

Reaction score
It would be fun to hear what are peoples goto stainless/semistainless knife? Just one. Why have you chose it, what are the qualities that makes it work for you? Or havent you got one yet but have one in particular in mind to have? Interested in hearing both pros and homecooks opinions.

My current go-to stainless/semi stainless is the 260mm Konosuke HD2 Ho wood handle. I choose it because it is the only stainless/semi stainless knife I have for now😅, I’m very interested to try the Gesshin Ginga stainless in the near future, expect them to be very similar.

Last edited:
It would be fun to hear what are peoples goto stainless/semistainless knife? Just one. Why have you chose it, what are the qualities that makes it work for you? Or havent you got one yet but have one in particular in mind to have? Interested in hearing both pros and homecooks opinions.
At the moment, a Wusthof Pro 🤷‍♂️
Have something on order though.

The only stainless ones I kept and still use are a Misono 440 180mm petty (they call it a slicer) and K-Sabatier 200 250mm chef's made of 14C28N — AEB-L on steroids.
In general, I'm hardly interested in stainless any longer, as I'm likely to miss the direct feeling I get with carbons, and the fun when sharpening.

Are people excluded if their favourite/primary knife is already stainless?

I'm a crappy home cook, who just got a nice carbon steel knife, and I keep the very basic stainless 6" utility knife (let's call it a "Hey, make it look like Henckels but sell it cheap, people will buy that") nearby, for when that prissy carbon steel says (again) that it doesn't want to do acid with me. New knife is beautiful but apparently it's not up for adventure. :)

I have top three that share the number 1 spot. I would be perfectly happy with any of them as my only knife.

Tanaka ginsan nashiji 240
Itinimonn semiSS kasumi 240
Yoshikane SKD tsuchime 240

Itinomonn and Yoshi are very similar with all the same strengths.
Profile, grind, edge taking, feel on stones.

Tanaka is a bit more substantial, with better edge retention and not quite us fun
on the stones. Still decent though. Superb grind, but a bit more curvy edge profile.

Can't beat the convenience of a good SS knife

Last edited:
Don't have a stainless gyuto (and don't need one), but we use a lot Yoshikane SLD petty and my Toyama nakiri is stainless clad (what I have learned to appreciate).

Sukenari hairline zdp-189 k-tip 240mm gyuto is both my go-to stainless and one of my go-tos, period. It's good at everything. I got a few micro-chips in the OOTB sharpen, but once my own edge has been on it, it's a razor that keeps on razoring.

What is this "just one" nonsense?
Shibata Kashima 220 gyuto - stainless clad SG2/R2 It is a laser with the accompanying pro and cons, excellent edge retention. It is very light to the point of feeling a bit insubstantial and fragile, but has not proved fragile in use. Slightly numb board feel.
HSC/// 186 gyuto - Z-Wear mono Even better edge retention than the Shibata but also slower to sharpen (with Shaptons). Better tactile feedback than the Shibata. A very nice knife.
Kippington 207 work pony gyuto - Nitro-V mono Easier to sharpen than either of the above knives but less edge retention although still markedly better than Shirogami. I have nothing but praise for my Kippingtons.
Yoshikane 212 k-tip gyuto - stainless clad SKD12/A2 This is the least stainless, although still more than adequate, of this group of knives. It has slightly poorer edge retention than the Nitro-V Kippington but still noticeably better than Shirogami knives. The fastest and most pleasant to sharpen of the above knives. Great value

Last edited:
Shun Hiro 210 mm. Not too short, not too long. Reasonably thin behind the edge, but not so that I have to baby it. Not too flat, so it works well for rocking. Great edge retention.

It’s a good every-day allrounder.

Heiji SS-
210mm petty
225mm gyuto
270mm gyuto

Yoshikane SKD Amekiri 240mm gyuto

Before these knives my only kind of stainless knife was my Kono HD2, which has been sold.

Yoshikane 240 skd. Love it although it misses just a few grams and mm on the heel to be perfect for my taste.
True that!
That would push it to the #1 spot of my top 3.

A fairly venerable Konosuke Swedish Steel 210, purchased in an era when HDs were actually pretty difficult to get hold of. Slightly depressingly, despite the wealth of outwardly more impressive blades nearby, it’s probably been my most used daily driver in recent years - two small kids walking about and phone distractions aplenty mean that the meatier carbons tend to get reserved for more considered occasions and meals not quite so geared towards toddlers.

Can’t really complain - it’s a low-maintenance, fun knife to pick up and use. Very similar to the HD, it’s a monosteel light enough <120g) to straddle the controversial laser boundary and yet feel stiff enough to inspire trust in cutting pretty much anything, It’s a decent blade for the home - reasonable edge retention and easy to sharpen, not quite in the league of the HD but an acceptable trade off with keeping it fully stainless.

It does have some obvious shortcomings too. To use a pained automative analogy, this feels like something like a (beautifully Kono‘d finished) kit car best reserved for Sunday-drives. It feels quick, nimble, really responsive and live to the touch, but also strangely liable to flip unforgivingly if you really pushed it. It’s basically ludicrously undersized at 195ish, with a dangerously low heel height of 43mm , precipitating rapidly downwards with little flat spot. Add in a fair bit of stiction and this isn‘t the one for confident speed chopping

But for the few cloves of garlic and some some soft veg of a swift midweek meal, or a quick sandwich or slice of something on a crowded countertop it‘s still the first blade I’m likely to reach for, despite repeated attempts to replace or substitute in other options over the years

Strangely fond of the old thing and suspect I’ll still be hanging onto it when I’ve whittled it down to even more of a suji/petty/icepick profile.

Then there is also the Tanaka R2 Ironwood.
Boy can that cut.

This is the one that I most regret letting go, selling it onto a chef mate at cost (when they were still reasonable in price)

In mitigation, I was increasingly moving towards Wa Handled blades and carbons at the time, plus I already had one other R2 Yo-handled stainless to act as reserve, And that other stainless gyuto seemed a better counterpart to the aforementioned Kono Swedish, feeling far more substantial in the hand than the ‘tweener‘ Tanaka.

So reluctantly I sold on the Tanaka and kept the other blade. Which - facepalm alert ahead - is a Mr Itou gyuto. Probably not my smartest or coolest move in hindsight, albeit I still have the Itou (a comparatively rare, soberly handled one) and keep underestimating it)

Right now this is the stainless knife I reach for the most. 242mm CPM S45VN.
045FF900-7357-4B67-8239-60968AC3B62F.jpeg

Back