Media YouTube Knuckleheads

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you know when you knife not sharp? When you can't cut sumpin wid it!

My dad has that exact same Sabatier knife. Sharpens up like a dream. I took it from never-sharpened-in-25-years to fresh face shaver in about 15 minutes a few months back, and it's still that way(my dad doesn't cook a lot).

I really wonder why these cooks live their whole lives, well into their 40s, and NEVER question why the stupid rod rubbing nonsense isn't working--why the tomato is smashing and why onions make you cry till you can't see, and why herbs go black in 20 minutes. That is what led me to the forums, the nagging insistence that somewhere, someone had to have figured it out, because scraping a $20 knife on a $5 rod just wasn't making a bit of difference. Gordon Ramsay is a brilliant marketer, and has a great sense of insight into how a restaurant is run and staffed--but he knows, as he would say, f***-all about knives.

HOW DO THEY STAY KNUCKLEHEADS THEIR ENTIRE LIVES?!?!?!

I'm nominating this guy for being a clueless knucklehead who's clearly nothing more than one of those teenage instant internet expert/product tester/reviewers (aka - product shill) with nothing to do on summer school break but to make YouTube videos. Bought first knife a month ago, made video, made another video, made more videos, then retailer sends him knives to evaluate, now more videos, then sharpening equipment is sent for evaluation, more-more more videos and even a t-shirt makes an appearance. One moth later - instant expert is made. Enjoy the commercials.....

MrKnifeFanatic aka Soulfly711

Low blow. Some things shouldn't be talked about.

I can't tell you how many members videos I've bitten my tongue on.

Yeah you're right but while I'm at it here's another low blow, I nominate Mark's Sharpening for Noobies series as knucklehead worthy too but this really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who's seen these videos. :slaphead:

Last edited:
I'm nominating this guy for being a clueless knucklehead who's clearly nothing more than one of those teenage instant internet expert/product tester/reviewers (aka - product shill) with nothing to do on summer school break but to make YouTube videos. Bought first knife a month ago, made video, made another video, made more videos, then retailer sends him knives to evaluate, now more videos, then sharpening equipment is sent for evaluation, more-more more videos and even a t-shirt makes an appearance. One moth later - instant expert is made. Enjoy the commercials.....

He does seem a quick study, I must say. I didn't know my a$$ from a hole in the ground a month after getting a good knife. The constant Nike-style "this product is the ULTIMATE" mentality drives me nuts though. I spent 3 months at work and home sharpening my knives exclusively on nail buffers from a beauty supply shop earlier this year just to learn from it. People have been cooking since prehistory, and detergent based CBN paste on a magnetic horse leather strop has been around less than a decade. Good? Perhaps. Worthy of filming on Youtube? Probably not.

He does seem a quick study, I must say. I didn't know my a$$ from a hole in the ground a month after getting a good knife. The constant Nike-style "this product is the ULTIMATE" mentality drives me nuts though. I spent 3 months at work and home sharpening my knives exclusively on nail buffers from a beauty supply shop earlier this year just to learn from it. People have been cooking since prehistory, and detergent based CBN paste on a magnetic horse leather strop has been around less than a decade. Good? Perhaps. Worthy of filming on Youtube? Probably not.
I do not even get the point of that video, to me the knife does not look that sharp after all the posing for the camera. I have always wondered what exactly is the use of super fine compounds other than make super sharp edges for showing off, compounds like that are no good for functional cutting edge IMHO.

When people post videos of them cutting things just after sharpening a knife it is kinda useful because it makes you realise how far you can go. However, in many of the videos people post, the actual products they cut would be totally unusable if you wanted to cook with them. I'd rather see someone post a video of them cutting an onion slowly and superfine and actually seeing how fine the dice is, than someone going crazy and hacking it to death. Just a little something I had to get off my chest. Not that my knife skills are perfect, but sometimes these videos could be a little more functional. In many of them people try to be flashy and go fast and I can barely watch they are so close to cutting themselves

When people post videos of them cutting things just after sharpening a knife it is kinda useful because it makes you realise how far you can go. However, in many of the videos people post, the actual products they cut would be totally unusable if you wanted to cook with them. I'd rather see someone post a video of them cutting an onion slowly and superfine and actually seeing how fine the dice is, than someone going crazy and hacking it to death. Just a little something I had to get off my chest. Not that my knife skills are perfect, but sometimes these videos could be a little more functional. In many of them people try to be flashy and go fast and I can barely watch they are so close to cutting themselves

you need to watch them without sound in slow motion. :)

Ok i just have to post this one here :)

[video=youtube;BH6c4GnR9pc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH6c4GnR9pc&feature=player_embedded#at=33[/video]

If he finish all his knifes like that then he have a problem :rofl2:

Ok one more from same guy

[video=youtube;5APdXK9-0V4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5APdXK9-0V4&feature=related[/video]

Ok i just have to post this one here :)

[video=youtube;BH6c4GnR9pc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH6c4GnR9pc&feature=player_embedded#at=33[/video]

If he finish all his knifes like that then he have a problem :rofl2:

Hmmmmm....a "Giotto" design, eh? Now that explains the crappy geometry. It was created by an Italian Renaissance artist who's been dead for 674 years!

Looks like just the tool for preparing yakisoba 'phone book style' though.

I was checkin' out his g'friend's butt during the mushroom cutting bit. Not Bad!!! :wink:

[video=youtube;5APdXK9-0V4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5APdXK9-0V4&feature=related[/video]

This thing reminds me of Nordic Track workout machine. Can this type of "sharpening" be considered exercise? It's certainly not sharpening :)

I was checkin' out his g'friend's butt during the mushroom cutting bit. Not Bad!!! :wink:

I never saw the mushroom butt bit - damn it - no way I'm sitting through them again though....not even for a nice butt shot.

Hurumph. Where is your dedication?

Isn't it interesting how complex idiot proofing can make a simple process?

That guy definitely said JEEOTOE.

I don't know what the stupid machine contraption is that he used to sharpen that knife but it scares me. It looks way more confusing and time consuming than just sharpening freehand. What is wrong with people? Develop a skill!!! Don't be scared of learning how to do something yourself!!!

Insane, that really set my teeth on edge watching him wave those things around near that tiny flexy little edge. I bet you could see the whole edge distort moving things sideways across it. And that is easier than honing it flat on a stone how?

"Stropping takes a lot of skill". hoo boy. That would be a major pain in the B with that gizmo.

How come you didn't leave a comment for Mr. Mumbles, like he asked?

I've forgotten my password, annoying because I have a forging channel. And there's me calling him a knuckle head:laugh:
Go on... you burst his bubble. With some blunt scissors.

Latest posts

Back