Butchering advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reede

Reaction score
So, just dropped off my first beef at the processors this morning to take advantage of the improvements I've made to my pastures. Anyway, meat will hang for a while, but then thought I'd get thoughts from folks here on any particularly advantageous ways to get things divided up. Thanks.

Reed

I'd want 2 whole tenderloins, 2 whole, boneless ribeye primals, short ribs, brisket, skirt meat, ox tails(great for soup). I'd try to get as many shanks as possible. You can use them for Osso Buco. Don't let your meat processor cut up the steaks. It's easy to do yourself and you can cut them as thick or thin as you like. There's also the section where the sirloin steaks come from. If I remember correctly there's several muscles, running in different directions and you need to be careful separating out the sirloin. I don't know how many T-bone/Porterhouse steaks you get, but your butcher will have to cut those since you need a band saw to cut them.

Obviously there's more meat to harvest, but those are the main pieces that you want to keep whole and butcher yourself. Hope this helps.

Look over Ryan Farr's book - "Whole Beast Butchery" for ideas of what cuts may work for you and how much butchering you may want to do yourself. The guy is great (been to his class at 4505 in SF) and book (IMO) is excellent (but there are certainly others out there). May even be able to find it in a local book store to review ... but it is an excellent resource. Also gives you great ideas in terms of butchering for end use of the product so you could break down one half one way and the other side another ... good luck and enjoy the hard work.

Latest posts

Back