Sharpening an F.Dick knife with a Global ceramic sharpener?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nortagem

Reaction score
Hi all,
About a year ago I've decided to upgrade my cooking implements and purchased my first chef's knife. I've chosen the F.Dick Premier 8-1/2".
A friend had advised my to buy a sharpener too, as the blade will become dull, and so I've bought the Global MinoSharp Ceramic Wheel Water Sharpener.
The sharpener works - as the blade becomes a bit dull with use, I'll run it through it a couple of times and it will indeed sharpen the blade.
Only recently I've discovered that Global knife blades (and Japanese knives, in general) have a different angle than European knife blades.

My question is - should I use a different sharpener/sharpening methods?

Thanks

Last edited:
F Dick makes some pretty good knives. All the butchers I know use them. They are somewhat softer steel and not designed to sustain the 15 degree angle of that sharpener. If you're happy with the results however, that's ok. I thin them over time, but I finish their F Dicks at 18 to 20 degrees, usually finishing with grits between 1000 and 2000. There are plenty of option for devices to sharpen with. Most guys here will suggest sharpening by hand on stones. Probably the most rewarding and possibly the most cost effective in the long run.

Thanks for your reply, 'Mrmnms'.
In that case, what set of stones would you recommend (grits, brand)?

Plenty of good choices from forum venders, including a 400/1200 combo stone from Dave Martell pretty cheap. I used to use Norton oil stones for this kind oil steel. I haven't had them in a long time. I'm sure other guys have good options. I would check out our vendors out of loyalty. You can expect great service from all of them. Worked for me.

zische offers its "Missarka" stones that are specially designed to be used with stainless knives. Here is a German website with the white (medium) and orange-brown fine stones:

http://www.feinewerkzeuge.de/kuns.htm

I have and use the orange fine stone and they work very well with european steel (I have quite a few Dicks and Wüsthofs).

Thank you all for the help, I will get on selecting my future sharpening stones right away!

Back