Best bang for the buck?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SailorJ

Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm looking to get buy the cheapest knife that will still perform well with reasonable aesthetics. I hardly know where to start. I'd like to keep this knife under $50 since I will primarily be using it to learn sharpening techniques (up till now I have only honed razors and my fishing knives). I'll just try using a format I have seen in other posts to give as much info as possible.

So.... I used to live in a house with the single most amazing kitchen knife I've ever seen.

It was so sharp it could slice through still warm fresh bread.

Since I moved out of that house I've been craving something even half as good, but my efforts to find one like it have all failed dismally.

It was maybe 50 years old, and had no markings on blade, tang or handle. It was definitely not stainless steel and showing signs of its age, with lots of black marks and the like.

It kept an edge for quite a while, and would come up a treat after a quick run over a sharpening rod.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in? I need a general purpose chef's knife.

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? Maybe something like an 8" blade...? I am open to suggestions, but something around that length seems the most versatile.

Do you require a stainless knife? No.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? I am not really sure. I see a lot that looks like it might be good for around 40-$50

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home/domestic kitchen exclusively.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? Probably about 80% will be slicing and chopping vegies, 15% slicing meats, 5% all other things that happen in a kitchen.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? An old high carbon steel kitchen knife.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? Hammer grip.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Mostly slicing.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? $6 kitchen knife from costco...

Better aesthetics? I prefer the Japanese style blades something two toned where the bevel is clearly differed from the meat of the blade. But aesthetics are not a deal breaker by any means.

Comfort? Secondary

Ease of Use? More concerned with the honing

Edge Retention? Edge retention would be nice, but I would mainly like something easy to sharpen and touch up as this is what I hope to practice before getting a nicer blade.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? Bamboo

Do you sharpen your own knives? Yes

Any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks!!!

That price point is really low. What knives did you see for 50$?
I would try

- metalmasterjp on ebay for a tojiro kurouchi white#2 santoku or small gyuto for around 50$ plus shipping.
- bluewayjapan on ebay for a tadafusa nashiji blue#2 santoku for around 65$ plus shipping. ( this is clad in stainless if I'm not mistaken)

I haven't tried these knives personally but I've read they are decent.
They will probability be a little thick behind the edge and with poor fit and finish but will be fun/easy to sharpen since they are carbon.

I don't think you will find many good full-sized knives for that price. Those two Charon mentioned are probably the best you would find. Since you're in CA, go talk to Jon at JKI, he has a 165mm Zakuri for $65 in blue #1 which I purchased recently.

Otherwise you'd probably have to spend around $100 for a cheap-but-good gyuto. Or possibly look into the B&S section? Could probably pick something up there for cheap... maybe not quite $50 but you never know.

[IMHO] Here's the problem with your criteria....the knives "we" might sell for $50 end up being given away to friends/family /coworkers...so usually no good options on the BST forum. The knives "we" might buy new at your price point are made with the lowest quality materials, manufacturing process and fit & finish.
Two possible solutions though - in your price range look for a Chinese Clever, something like a CCK 1303 or a Dexter Russell Connoisseur, but you will want to try to avoid the $15 versions of cleavers you'll come across. Second choice is to take your budget up to $100 +/- and look at something like a Carbonext 210 (8") gyuto. No matter what, welcome...

Tojiro kurouchi can be total crap; hard to learn to sharpen a wavy edge.

Best advice has already been given--go see Jon at Japanese Knife Imports or just go for a CCK or the like. For a gyuto, you'd be better off throwing the fifty out the window :justkidding: or up the budget to 100 and we can give you some decent options.

The Zakuri mentioned is a very nice knife but at only 165mm or so you won't but cutting any loaves of fresh bread.

agreed on Tojiro Kurouichi, it can get sharp, don't get me wrong, but have heard some terrible F&F (fit and finish) issues as well as reactivity, don't have to go that HIGH, for the likes of a Fujiwara FKM or Tojiro DP

Like so many things, "you can get it good OR you can get it cheap", applies to knives. Your budget is going to be a constraint to a good knife.

An approach I've not seen mentioned is to look on the bay for "vintage carbon". With a little shopping an 8 inch Forgecraft Chef (or other quality vintage) will set you back 20 to 30 bucks. The handle may be a little wonky but check the blade for excessive corrosion. Good knife for learning sharpening on as carbon sharpens relatively easily (and it's soft enough it will need some love frequently).

agreed on Tojiro Kurouichi, it can get sharp, don't get me wrong, but have heard some terrible F&F (fit and finish) issues as well as reactivity, don't have to go that HIGH, for the likes of a Fujiwara FKM or Tojiro DP

Great info guys. I did not know Tojiro kurouchi is that bad. Sorry for the misinformation.

Great info guys. I did not know Tojiro kurouchi is that bad. Sorry for the misinformation.

Some may be fine, but the 2 examples I've seen (I own a petty that gets use as a steak knife) have been horrible. It's a roll against loaded dice.

Dave B's advice makes the most sense.

Most importantly, Welcome!

some things you can cheap out on, and knives are one thing chose not to, of course it's always a good idea to find the best deal, but Dave's suggestion is good, forgies are a good find, if you can find one

An approach I've not seen mentioned is to look on the bay for "vintage carbon". With a little shopping an 8 inch Forgecraft Chef (or other quality vintage) will set you back 20 to 30 bucks. The handle may be a little wonky but check the blade for excessive corrosion. Good knife for learning sharpening on as carbon sharpens relatively easily (and it's soft enough it will need some love frequently).

This is good advice. You can look to Ebay for a carbon western style chef knife and learn to sharpen on that. $20-30 is correct for a decent vintage chef knife that will be fun to use. You can even grab an old Cutco French chef knife for $30 or less. Not a bad knife at that price. Old Hickory 8" chef knives are uncommon, but are a good starter.

Until you can up your budget a little, I would go this route and then start saving for a quality Japanese chef knife when you get the hang of things. That's actually what I'm doing right now.

Very well said KitchenCommander, there are a lot of vintage knives on the bay, Sabatier is another good one as well, to learn on

I agree with the advice to look for an old carbon steel knife, but another option that will do better than your $6 costco knife is a $35-40 Victorninox Forschner 8 inch Chefs knife. It's a decent knife to get you through everyday home kitchen tasks that fits your budget.

Hope you have a good time learning about high quality knives on this forum and perhaps you will consider raising your budget!:wink:

If you are looking for chefs knives to use out of box, go to costco and buy the tramontino pro 8, 10" chef combo, sort of a victorinox clone, for $14 - they are an insanely good buy.. = $7 a knife for perfectly useable kitchen knives, reasonable grind etc. Or, online they will sell you a whole "kit"including a cutting board for about $60:

http://www.costco.com/Tramontina-Pr...Sets-%26-Cutting-Board.product.100143788.html

If you want to learn sharpening, while a used forgie or other old dirty carbon is great, we have driven the price up alas.

To practice on, I've become quite fond of those insanely cheap Korean rustic knives, they form a burr very easily and they come so unfinished you have to do everything from clean the edge of knicks via "breadboarding" to sharpen them. AT $8, what do you have to lose? When you are done sharpening they make a really good, crappy use on anything, knife :- )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HwaSeong-Ca...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4d1dab2e7e

Oops! Just realized I hadn't blanked out all the information from the post that I copied.

Thank you for all the information! I appreciate it, I realize the knife won't be that great, but I figure anything nice will be destroyed in the learning process.

You say you currently sharpen your own knives. With what?

I currently have a collection of stones used on razors and utility knives, Synthetic water stones DC8/1k/4k/8k/12k as well as a Coticule and Thuringian hones.

Tojiro kurouchi can be total crap; hard to learn to sharpen a wavy edge.

Best advice has already been given--go see Jon at Japanese Knife Imports or just go for a CCK or the like. For a gyuto, you'd be better off throwing the fifty out the window :justkidding: or up the budget to 100 and we can give you some decent options.

The Zakuri mentioned is a very nice knife but at only 165mm or so you won't but cutting any loaves of fresh bread.

Thank you! That bit about bread was an artifact I accidentally left on in the copy paste. But point well taken.

Thank you!

I have every intention of shelling out more money for a quality knife once I am confident that I can care for it properly. Also xmas budget has already been met with my other hobbies, of which I have too many.

Cheers,

Julian

Gic (or anyone else) , have any idea about the steel composition of those Korean knives? Hrc?

If you are looking for chefs knives to use out of box, go to costco and buy the tramontino pro 8, 10" chef combo, sort of a victorinox clone, for $14 - they are an insanely good buy.. = $7 a knife for perfectly useable kitchen knives, reasonable grind etc. Or, online they will sell you a whole "kit"including a cutting board for about $60:

http://www.costco.com/Tramontina-Pr...Sets-%26-Cutting-Board.product.100143788.html

If you want to learn sharpening, while a used forgie or other old dirty carbon is great, we have driven the price up alas.

To practice on, I've become quite fond of those insanely cheap Korean rustic knives, they form a burr very easily and they come so unfinished you have to do everything from clean the edge of knicks via "breadboarding" to sharpen them. AT $8, what do you have to lose? When you are done sharpening they make a really good, crappy use on anything, knife :- )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HwaSeong-Ca...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4d1dab2e7e

i don't know if he is saying that is good or bad, just that it looks like a deba (a specialized Japanese knife for breaking down fish), and they are known to be VERY THICK knives that's all

I don't know much about vintage knives, but I know enough, that knife looks eerily similar to a forgecraft

Looks good but a little pricey. I've read here that the seller (Ralph) usually sells good stuff but he's proud of it.

A few makers from that time period look like Forgies. Or maybe Forgies look like them. Don't know Echo but some of esteemed scholars will.

A Gyuto might be best as all around. Since you have stones already why not get a good knife? Buying second hand or cheap knives you can find some good buys, however if you don't really know what you are looking at, could end up with some real dogs that don't cut well at all.

If you want to step up be willing to pay more. At 100.00 some good choices. !50.00 you can actually get some very nice blades that cut well.

Latest posts

Back