Old Mezzaluna's

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was at the Washington DC antique show this weekend and came across these. The dealer said these were popular in the mid 19th century. The price ranged from 1,500 to 2.500:bigeek: The big cost driver was condition and rarity of the animal. I wanted a pig which is a rare one, of course! Mezzaluna knives.jpg

The horse was the most common with the fish being the most rare.

Interesting. what function(s) are they meant to serve?

The dealer mentioned they were popular with butchers and as gifts, but that they were meant to be used. The flatter profile on some of them was due to sharpening and 100's of years of use, so the pig on the bottom was the least money (of the pigs). He said all of them would of had the same big belly to start.

I wanted the pig second from the top on the right. It was listed at 2,400 and he dropped to 2,00 pretty quickly but since I was thinking they would be 400 to 600 I didn't bother haggling - we were just to far apart.

I have done a little research since the show and the 2,000 was actually a pretty fair price. I was thinking 3 of them grouped together would be really cool, but not that cool:D.

I was definitely wondering why the profiles were so different, thanks for that.

Cool find, thanks for sharing!

Back