The Laser Bug hit me ... now I want one! But which?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently got my hands on a used Kono Stainless 210 mm Gyuto. Good entry into Lasers, but not what I ultimately want and need. But I know that I want a true Laser in 240mm.

I know that the Kono HD2 is somewhat an obvious and ubiquitous recommendation, but quite often it's not available.

Any alternatives, preferred Carbon ...?

there are a few Gesshin Ginga, Sakai Yusuke, Suisin Inox Honyaki, Ikkanashi Tadatsuna, if you don't mind not carbon and only 210 the Takamura is definitely a laser

The best value is probably Sakai Yusuke from Blueway Japan.

Currently, Blueway has 210mm, 240mm and 270mm Gyutos listed for anyone who's interested.

I have the 300mm sujihiki in White #2. Nice fit and finish. Not super reactive. Gets super-duper sharp. Fairly stiff for how long it is. Thinness behind the edge is good, but not as thin as my 270mm Extra Thin gyuto from Yusuke.

If you can afford the stainless extra thin/extra hard gyuto he has up there now, I do not think you will be disappointed. It is a great knife.

I have the 300mm sujihiki in White #2. Nice fit and finish. Not super reactive. Gets super-duper sharp. Fairly stiff for how long it is. Thinness behind the edge is good, but not as thin as my 270mm Extra Thin gyuto from Yusuke.

If you can afford the stainless extra thin/extra hard gyuto he has up there now, I do not think you will be disappointed. It is a great knife.

If you would pick a Laser, would you go for Gyuto or Sujihiki?

Gyuto 1st. Push cuts, tall (relative to suji) blade to push through product. A laser can be useful but (IMO) trades off food release.

I have a Devin suji that prob fits the definition of laser but don't know how important that is when most cuts are pull or draw cuts. Do like being able to portion a tenderloin in less time than it takes to read this. But can do about the same with a Shig suji. I don't want a suji that flexes, thin is good but less important.

Sharpen your gyutos often enough and soon you will have four sujihiki ..

Good answer for either Gyuto or Suji.

My "short" suji is a 240 Tad Inox. Read somewhere (Gator's site?) that Tad's Inox was Ginsanko. Mine sharpens well and has no discernible flex when using. Readily slices/portions meats up to beef tenderloin size.

Back