Ridiculous cutting board question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a fair amount of left over figured walnut from a table i built awhile back. There are kindof two end grains.. the "true" end grain and a mix of quasi end grain and feathering from the figuring. I am in the process of turning 2"x2" blocks into a butcher block cutting board but im very torn on which end grain to use as the board face. The true end grain is the safer bet but the grain and feathering of the figured grain is far more visually appealing. Would there be any performance issues of one vs the other? A mix of both Thoughts? Thanks

Same block of wood in both pics

1499303633989.jpg

Don't worry about making a pattern that looks cool.
pay attention to how well the wood pieces fit together.

Probably good advice.. thanks..in. general i can get them to fit well enough with some elbow grease and a hand plane. Thoughts on using end grain or the figured grain? Btw that bottom pic they are just thrown together. Nothing squared ir glued etc...just showing an example of how i expect it to kinda look

To answer your question given the material you have pictured I would go END GRAIN .

Only use the square pieces in the center .
Take the longer rectangular pieces and make a small cheese board, or serving boared
Use Titebond 2 glue("food safe")
clamp everything down let set for 24 hours or so.

*disclaimer *I am not an expert this is just what I would do*

The longer darker pieces of wood you have look nicer ,IMO ,but seems like you have less of it.

Back