Gesshin 4000 ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grunt173

Reaction score
Has anybody used this stone? Just wonder what it is like,the good and the bad.I have the 400 and it is the thirstiest stone in my collection,even after an all night soak.

Coarse stones tend to be very thirsty. Use Google to search for the stone you are curious about. It is a very popular stone.

site:kitchenknifeforums.com search term

I like it very much. It's a soaker, but it is very fast for a 4k stone and it leaves a toothy edge. I like to use it for good stainless steel, like R2/SG2, that is not as easy to sharpen on naturals as aeb-l.

Coarse stones tend to be very thirsty. Use Google to search for the stone you are curious about. It is a very popular stone.

site:kitchenknifeforums.com search term

Thanks. The search worked for me this time and it took me to a lot of good info.

I like it very much. It's a soaker, but it is very fast for a 4k stone and it leaves a toothy edge. I like to use it for good stainless steel, like R2/SG2, that is not as easy to sharpen on naturals as aeb-l.

That's what I want,nice and toothy. Thank you.

+1.
It’s really really fast. Leaves a nice toothy edge. If these 2 attributes mean the most to you then this is the stone to get.

I have the stone and use it since quite a while. It is hard to compare it to the 400 (which I also have). I permasoak it and do not have the problem with it to be thirsty, but I have glued it to a 10mm thick hard PVC support which of course eliminates the largest part of the surface the stone can loose water through.

Depending on steel the stone may clog a little (it will get darker), but it does not seem to have much effect on the cutting speed or feedback. It is realtively hard and does not create much mud. In comparison the 2000 is a little softer, though not much. It is MUCH harder than the 400 (which is the softest stone I have used thus far).

It leaves a very toothy/bitey edge that works great around the kitchen. Also a good last synthetic stone when switching to natural pre-finishers or finishers.

It is also very fast for a 4000 grit.

Thank you all.I think I just might get that Gessihin 4000 to go with my Gesshin 400.I see the 2000 grit is out of stock but I do have a pretty nice 2000k Kohetsu that feels that bill quite well.It is also a very nice stone,one I enjoy using a lot.

Let me just mention one another stone you may want to have a look at - the Gesshin Synthetic Natural. That stone is not as crazy fast as the 4000 (still fast though), has very different (smoother) feel while sharpening and thanks to the fact that it is a blend of different grits (details are not known) it leaves in my opinion a more balanced edge - it has bite, but it feels smoother. To me it is the best synthetic finisher I have used to date. Check it out and maybe drop Jon an email if I managed to make you curios about it :)

IMO gesh 4k can clog somewhat but it’s very manageable and not a big deal. Feedback isn’t like chosera amazing either. On a scale from 0 to 10 I’d rate it a 6. The polish isn’t special either. Just to reiterate my earlier point: gesh 4k cuts really fast, it also leaves a great toothy edge. If those 2 characteristics are your priorities then it’s a great stone.
Basically it’s a blue collar, working man’s stone.

IMO gesh 4k can clog somewhat but it’s very manageable and not a big deal. Feedback isn’t like chosera amazing either. On a scale from 0 to 10 I’d rate it a 6. The polish isn’t special either. Just to reiterate my earlier point: gesh 4k cuts really fast, it also leaves a great toothy edge. If those 2 characteristics are your priorities then it’s a great stone.
Basically it’s a blue collar, working man’s stone.

Funny you mention Chosera. While pondering a new stone,the Chosera 3000 was on my mind and one I had been considering also.I read much about people having problems with their cracking.Other then that,I have also read how great the feedback is on them.I don't know as I have never tried one.I am still kicking the idea around though.I haven't heard much about Choseras for quite sometime.I think the 800 and the 3000 Choseras would be my only consideration out of the line.

what are people's thoughts on JKI syn natural vs chosera 3k?

(what kinds of use case /user would 'fit' best with each)

what are people's thoughts on JKI syn natural vs chosera 3k?

(what kinds of use case /user would 'fit' best with each)

I'm all ears cause I was wondering that myself.Even though I never experienced the Choceras,I am of the belief that the 3000 is the best stone in the whole line up based on what I have read.It is not easy having three stones bouncing around in your head at the same time,such be the case of the Gesshin 4000,JKI Syn Natural and the Cho 3k.I'm getting a headache.:dazed:

I’ve never used a chosera 3k. But I own and use both the gesh 4k and gesh synth nat. AMA.

Labor,
You and Matus seem to be the only ones that are familiar with the Syn Natural stone that I can find so,
out of those two stones,the natural and the G-4k, which do you like/enjoy to use more. I can't justify both ( or should I?) .

So synth nat and gesh 4 are almost opposite stones. The synth nat will leave a nice polish, have nicer feedback and the edge seems to be more refined than 4k. Synth nat isn’t as hard as the 4k and it’s splash and go.

The G4k is faster, less smooth to touch, leaves edge with more bite. The stone is so fast, that with not too abrasion resistant steels it can be used to fully sharpen the knife if it was not too dull.

The GSN feels more silky, leaves more refined, yet still bitey edge that feels to me more balanced.

I tend to use GSN if I stop there and G4k if I continue to natural stones (though sometimes I go to natural stones from AI#1000 or G2k depending on the mood).

I also use G4k as a finisher for good quality pocket or outdoor knives - I just finished sharpening of my new GiantMouse GM3 pocket knife (m390 steel).

It is a luxury to have both of course. If I would have no natural stones or would not sharpen other knives then I would pick the GNS for the edge it gives on kitchen knives. I have to admit that the G4k ‘fell to my lap’ thanks to Jon’s generous customer support.

Thanks Labor and Matus,
Your explanations give me a clearer picture of those two stones.Thanks for taking the time to explain the differences to me.

But, but, but, don't forget the JNS synthetic aoto. I added that to the mix cause you didn't seem quite confused enough yet.[emoji41]

I also used the G4K to finish gyuto and the syn nat to progress to finer nats.

JNS has two synthetic aotos red (soft) and blue (hard). The blue is also mixed grit AFAIK and I would love to try it out one day. It should be a great stone, bur we do not hear about it much around here.

Oh and I forgot - one thing tbe GSN is not particularly great with is kasumi finish as it does mot give much contrast between hagane and jigane. This is also part of its description on JKI webpage.

The G4k is better in this regard, but since it is a fairly hard stone that creates little mud it requires more experience to get even finish.

But, but, but, don't forget the JNS synthetic aoto. I added that to the mix cause you didn't seem quite confused enough yet.[emoji41]

Geez,thanks a lot buddy.lol

SAFE! JNS is out of stock on the red Aoto......ha! ha! ha!

Back