Quantcast
Shapton Pro 30k Stone - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Shapton Pro 30k Stone

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    Paul, what was your progression to get to the 30k?
    Chosera 1-5-10k then the Shapton. Basically that's what I've got besides the SS line and a Kitayama 8k.

PZ

Quote Originally Posted by Pabloz View Post
    Chosera 1-5-10k then the Shapton. Basically that's what I've got besides the SS line and a Kitayama 8k.

PZ
    when i get it i imagine my progression will be Chosera 1k, Shapton gass 4k, then Gesshin 8k or Kit. i have a SS 10k, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    when i get it i imagine my progression will be Chosera 1k, Shapton gass 4k, then Gesshin 8k or Kit. i have a SS 10k, as well.
    My usual QUICK routine is 1200 Eze Lap then 8k DMT with a run on a Cr3O2 strop. FAST and clean.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    from the website,

"Honing with the 30,000-grit stone goes quickly when the edge has been properly prepared using a series of progressively finer stones. Normally one starts with the 1,000-grit stone (orange), and then works up through the 2,000 (green), the 5,000 (wine or "burgundy"), the 8,000 (melon) and then gives the blade a final honing with the 30,000-grit (purple) stone"

there is a ton more to read about it here too.

http://www.fine-tools.com/G-shapton30000.html

Pretty much I went after my kitayama then I tried a couple of blades back to the kitayama.
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    from the website,

"Honing with the 30,000-grit stone goes quickly when the edge has been properly prepared using a series of progressively finer stones. Normally one starts with the 1,000-grit stone (orange), and then works up through the 2,000 (green), the 5,000 (wine or "burgundy"), the 8,000 (melon) and then gives the blade a final honing with the 30,000-grit (purple) stone"

there is a ton more to read about it here too.

http://www.fine-tools.com/G-shapton30000.html

Pretty much I went after my kitayama then I tried a couple of blades back to the kitayama.
    ooh goody, i should be fine, then.

As fast as as it cut for a ultra fine stone I would think that once a 30k edge is established it would be really easy and quick to maintain simply by touching up on a daily basis. I don't believe it would need the full progression if done very regularly. It would also stand to reason that if done more frequently, that in the long run, less metal would be lost over the life of the knife. This is only speculation on my part as I have not invested alot of time doing frequent maintenance, but I was really impressed by how fast it cut. I can say that once I get a 8 or 10k edge set it is very easily touched up on the last grit used if done once some resistance is felt.

What say some of you high volume knife users...is this true for your routine as well.

PZ

This is just an FYI for the other members who have messaged me about joining the passaround. We have a few additions.

After Pensacola Tiger, it'll go to EdipisReks, then to the following members:

Mainaman
    Brainsausage
    Kalaeb

And, I just wanted to thank you guys for being really good about keeping the stone moving. I'm glad you're all getting a good opportunity to use it.

If there are any issues with the order above, please PM me. Thanks.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

The Shapton and the Harner left to Pensacola Tiger this morning. Should get to him by Thursday.

Michael,
    THANK YOU again, very much, for this opportunity.

PZ

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    I like this very much. I used 3 knives on it and was very impressed with what I could see on the stone for cutting. The stone is very hard and light. I am not a person with too much experience with stones so I couldn't say if all stones over certain grit is hard, but this one is.

Now the other question I have is what is the difference between the "glass" stones and stone. I am just asking cause looking at prices the "glass" one is a few hundred cheaper.

This will be off tomorrow to Pablo. Ty for letting me try it out mhlee.
    I am about to get kicked out of the house after I drop a paycheck or two on stones here within the next couple of weeks, so Id like to know how this stone compares to the glass stones as well please.

Quote Originally Posted by Pabloz View Post
    The Shapton and the Harner left to Pensacola Tiger this morning. Should get to him by Thursday.

Michael,
    THANK YOU again, very much, for this opportunity.

PZ
    Could you PM me with the tracking number?

Thanks!

Rick