Shapton Pro 30k Stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul:

Stone is on its way to you.

Have shipping info for you but can't send it because your mailbox is full.

Hmmm...thinking...thinking....

Michael,
Thank you very much for this opportunity.

Wish I could post photos but it'll have to wait until I can get them to another site. It appears that that I have to link a URL instaed of direct upload.

Anyway, the stone is totaly different than what I expected. Based on other reviews of Shapton stones this one was really smooth and "silky" feeling not at all glassy or scratchy. It cuts really fast as you can see swarf after 3-5 strokes on all alloys put on in. I ran S-35-VN, CPM 154, VG-10, Cruwear, O-1, Cowrey X, S-110-V and whatever the Harner is...I think 52100??? I washed the stone after each use and looked for loading and there was vitually none. There is also no wear to speak of after 10 long blades. I did not mic it but based on the visual there were no deep scratches or gouges. I really wish I could post a picture of the stone after all the work I put it through because it came out looking new. Usually after running 5 blades over a splash-n-go I can see where i worked the blades....on this one, NOT near as much...very impressive. Very little mud came up without nagura but just enough to keep it from loading.

Michael...I'll sent it back w/o lapping just so you can see it and maybe get some pics posted. I'll PM you two pics I did get.

After putting the Harner on it I took the it back to the board and cut some stuff and the knife took on a totally different personality that I could actually feel. I've tried this with a bunch of other stones and this was quite different. This stone also excelled as a stropping stone. After washing the stone the fifth time I realized it was going to out live me. I can only imagine what a straight razor would feel like after a few light passes on this thing. I will be adding this one to the stone corral soon.

PZ

I would like to propose a change in order of delivery.
Since I am sending the Harner back to Pensacola Tiger and he gets the stone after EdipisReks I can ship both to PT and then he could send the stone to ER to finish out the passaround. Would that be acceptable to y'all??

PZ

I agree with Pablo, this stone still has my attention.

Paul, what was your progression to get to the 30k?

Paul, what was your progression to get to the 30k?

Chosera 1-5-10k then the Shapton. Basically that's what I've got besides the SS line and a Kitayama 8k.

PZ

Chosera 1-5-10k then the Shapton. Basically that's what I've got besides the SS line and a Kitayama 8k.

PZ

when i get it i imagine my progression will be Chosera 1k, Shapton gass 4k, then Gesshin 8k or Kit. i have a SS 10k, as well.

when i get it i imagine my progression will be Chosera 1k, Shapton gass 4k, then Gesshin 8k or Kit. i have a SS 10k, as well.

My usual QUICK routine is 1200 Eze Lap then 8k DMT with a run on a Cr3O2 strop. FAST and clean.

from the website,

"Honing with the 30,000-grit stone goes quickly when the edge has been properly prepared using a series of progressively finer stones. Normally one starts with the 1,000-grit stone (orange), and then works up through the 2,000 (green), the 5,000 (wine or "burgundy"), the 8,000 (melon) and then gives the blade a final honing with the 30,000-grit (purple) stone"

there is a ton more to read about it here too.

http://www.fine-tools.com/G-shapton30000.html

Pretty much I went after my kitayama then I tried a couple of blades back to the kitayama.

from the website,

"Honing with the 30,000-grit stone goes quickly when the edge has been properly prepared using a series of progressively finer stones. Normally one starts with the 1,000-grit stone (orange), and then works up through the 2,000 (green), the 5,000 (wine or "burgundy"), the 8,000 (melon) and then gives the blade a final honing with the 30,000-grit (purple) stone"

there is a ton more to read about it here too.

http://www.fine-tools.com/G-shapton30000.html

Pretty much I went after my kitayama then I tried a couple of blades back to the kitayama.

ooh goody, i should be fine, then. :)

As fast as as it cut for a ultra fine stone I would think that once a 30k edge is established it would be really easy and quick to maintain simply by touching up on a daily basis. I don't believe it would need the full progression if done very regularly. It would also stand to reason that if done more frequently, that in the long run, less metal would be lost over the life of the knife. This is only speculation on my part as I have not invested alot of time doing frequent maintenance, but I was really impressed by how fast it cut. I can say that once I get a 8 or 10k edge set it is very easily touched up on the last grit used if done once some resistance is felt.

What say some of you high volume knife users...is this true for your routine as well.

PZ

This is just an FYI for the other members who have messaged me about joining the passaround. We have a few additions.

After Pensacola Tiger, it'll go to EdipisReks, then to the following members:

Mainaman
Brainsausage
Kalaeb

And, I just wanted to thank you guys for being really good about keeping the stone moving. I'm glad you're all getting a good opportunity to use it.

If there are any issues with the order above, please PM me. Thanks.

The Shapton and the Harner left to Pensacola Tiger this morning. Should get to him by Thursday.

Michael,
THANK YOU again, very much, for this opportunity.

PZ

I like this very much. I used 3 knives on it and was very impressed with what I could see on the stone for cutting. The stone is very hard and light. I am not a person with too much experience with stones so I couldn't say if all stones over certain grit is hard, but this one is.

Now the other question I have is what is the difference between the "glass" stones and stone. I am just asking cause looking at prices the "glass" one is a few hundred cheaper.

This will be off tomorrow to Pablo. Ty for letting me try it out mhlee.

I am about to get kicked out of the house after I drop a paycheck or two on stones here within the next couple of weeks, so Id like to know how this stone compares to the glass stones as well please.

Awesome! I'm looking forward to your thoughts on how it is for knives and razors!

The stone will be on its way to EdipisReks on Wednesday.

I haven't got my writeup done, but it will be posted presently.

Thanks for the chance to use it!

Rick

i chipped my tall Takeda a bit taking a chicken apart today, and that was the perfect excuse to finally flatten out the front half profile a bit (it chipped in just the right place), which was the perfect time to use the Shapton 30k. it didn't seem to take a lot of metal off, but after 6 hours of thinning with the Shapton, and an awful lot of purple mud everywhere, it did the job. not much stone left, though. just kidding on that, of course. i went Beston 500 to Chosera 1k to Shapton Glass 4k to Gesshin 8k to the Shapton 30k, and the edge is off the hook. if i had this stone, it would completely replace my strops. i used it for perhaps 10 light strokes per side, after the Gesshin. can't wait to use it on all my knives! the Shapton cut better than i expected, but it's a very smooth, and slow stone, as one would expect. really, really nice.

LOL @ using the Shapton for 6 hours!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you're using it!

Ya I am def. missing the stone. Not sure how I am gonna swing a 500$ price tag but am looking at scoring one some time next year.

Okay, here's the promised report, after using it on both razors and knives.

My usual routine for straights is to finish on a Shapton Pro 15k, and then strop on a CrO loaded balsa strop. I hoped to be able to shave off the 30k without anything other that a linen and leather hanging strop. I used the 30k as a finisher on three razors, a Wacker, a Le Grelot and a Harner. The results were very similar to the edge that I usually get, but I felt the loaded balsa strop added a bit of smoothness that was lacking coming off the 30k directly.

I polished the edges of three knives, a Rodrigue CPM154 gyuto, a Masamoto KS wa-gyuto and a Nenox suji, all finished on a 6k Gesshin. There was improvement in my perception of sharpness in all three cases, most noticeable on the Masamoto.

My impression of the stone is that I'd love to have one, but the pricetag is hard to justify.

My thanks to Michael for making this passaround possible.

Rick

Back