Shapton Pro 30k Stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since there's been a lot of positive feedback and interest from people to use this stone, I've gotten the OK from the head honcho and original owner (Mr. Dave Martell) to have an extended length passaround for this stone. So, for those of you who were interested in using this stone for an extended period of time, you'll be able to do so.

I was thinking of at least two weeks to a month for each member; if there is limited interest, we can extend it longer for those members who want to use it. Please just post in this thread that you'd like to use this stone and we'll try and accommodate everyone depending on the interest.

wow I recommend everyone interested in sharpening try this out.

Hmmm when is Dave gonna have them for sale?????? :justkidding:

This stone is in my possession now, I look forward to some nice shaves in the near future.

Thanks,

Since there's been a lot of positive feedback and interest from people to use this stone, I've gotten the OK from the head honcho and original owner (Mr. Dave Martell) to have an extended length passaround for this stone. So, for those of you who were interested in using this stone for an extended period of time, you'll be able to do so.

I was thinking of at least two weeks to a month for each member; if there is limited interest, we can extend it longer for those members who want to use it. Please just post in this thread that you'd like to use this stone and we'll try and accommodate everyone depending on the interest.

Is anyone else interested in using this stone? Those of you who previously participated in the passaround are welcome to use it again.

Is anyone else interested in using this stone? Those of you who previously participated in the passaround are welcome to use it again.

i would totally like to use it again. would it be possible to keep it a couple weeks? i don't want to hit it hard, i just sometimes go a while when i don't have time to do knife stuff (grad school sucks for hobbies).

i would totally like to use it again. would it be possible to keep it a couple weeks? i don't want to hit it hard, i just sometimes go a while when i don't have time to do knife stuff (grad school sucks for hobbies).

Yup. That's the idea.

Kalaeb has it so just PM him and coordinate when you want to get it. If he still wants to use it, could you let him keep it until he wants? There's no one else who's after you so you can keep it as long as you'd like after he's done.

I can send it out in a bit. Pm me your info and I will get it in the post either Friday or Monday. Great stone, my razors have been spoiled.

I can send it out in a bit. Pm me your info and I will get it in the post either Friday or Monday. Great stone, my razors have been spoiled.

At this point in time, you guys could just send it back and forth if you want. There's no one else in line waiting to use it.

I'd love to try this stone! Lemme know hat I need to do, if it's still possible to get in on it. Thanks! mpp

I'd love to try this stone! Lemme know hat I need to do, if it's still possible to get in on it. Thanks! mpp

Just let Edipis have at least three weeks with it.

Other than that, please don't gouge the stone, try to sharpen evenly over the entire face of the stone so it doesn't dish because it's expensive and I would hate to have to constantly flatten it. (FWIW, I haven't seen the stone in several months). And $300 in insurance.

Besides the above, use it a lot.

For the people who previously used it, did you guys use it as a splash and go, or short soak? What worked best?

I used splash and go, just like my other Shapton Pros.

I'd take another turn with it, but I'm afraid I'd want to buy one if I did, it's that good.

Thanks for the passaround!

Rick

Thanks, Rick.

Just keep borrowing it. As long as you don't have to pay postage more than - about 20 times? - you'll come out ahead without having to buy one!

Other than that, please don't gouge the stone, try to sharpen evenly over the entire face of the stone so it doesn't dish because it's expensive and I would hate to have to constantly flatten it. (FWIW, I haven't seen the stone in several months). And $300 in insurance.

For the people who previously used it, did you guys use it as a splash and go, or short soak? What worked best?

i used it splash and go, worked great!

I used it pretty much as splash and go like the website I linked earlier said. Soaking it would change the color and the grit(?). It worked great that way. I def. fell in love with a stone.

Cool! I'll PM EdipidReks my mailing info. I'm in no rush, so whenever you've had enough with it...

Just to clarify - I should NOT flatten it, just sharpen on it? I plan on sharpening a couple of my SRs, and a couple of kitchen knives just to see what the edge is like on them with it.

Cool! I'll PM EdipidReks my mailing info. I'm in no rush, so whenever you've had enough with it...

Just to clarify - I should NOT flatten it, just sharpen on it? I plan on sharpening a couple of my SRs, and a couple of kitchen knives just to see what the edge is like on them with it.

For your razors, I understand that you have to use a flat stone, so go ahead and flatten it. I just do not want people to flatten it constantly because it's not a thick stone to begin with, it's expensive, and I would like as many people to use it as possible.

So please try to use the entire surface area of the stone, rather than just focusing on the center and don't flatten it more than absolutely necessary.

For your razors, I understand that you have to use a flat stone, so go ahead and flatten it. I just do not want people to flatten it constantly because it's not a thick stone to begin with, it's expensive, and I would like as many people to use it as possible.

So please try to use the entire surface area of the stone, rather than just focusing on the center and don't flatten it more than absolutely necessary.

I have (3) Shapton GS's - 1k, 4k and 8k, so I'm familiar with how thin they are. I find they dish very slowly, and I don't flatten mine very often, and as little as necessary. The higher the grit, the less use they get and the less they dish on me. I do try to use the entire stone AMAP to avoid dishing. I'm not expecting to a lot of sharpening on it, so it may not need any flattening at all. Thanks again - really looking foreward to it! mpp

I have (3) Shapton GS's - 1k, 4k and 8k, so I'm familiar with how thin they are. I find they dish very slowly, and I don't flatten mine very often, and as little as necessary. The higher the grit, the less use they get and the less they dish on me. I do try to use the entire stone AMAP to avoid dishing. I'm not expecting to a lot of sharpening on it, so it may not need any flattening at all. Thanks again - really looking foreward to it! mpp

This is a Pro, not a GS. It's different.

This is a Pro, not a GS. It's different.

oops - missed that. my bad. Didn't know there was a 30k pro, thought there was only 30k GS. No matter - still looking forward to trying it, and I'll treat it with tender loving care.

this just arrived to me again today, safe and sound. can't wait to use it!

i still have it, Mike was kind enough to let me use it on some other people's knives that passed my work table recently. i'll get it back on the road this week, after i get the last of those finished up.

Stone arrived today, safe and sound. Surface feels like glass. Looking forward to using it. Thanks ER & Mike!

sent back to ER today.

Really amazing stone. The highest grit stone I have i a Gesshin 8K. While there is a noticeable difference in edge polish and sharpness going form 8K, I think to really appreciate what it does there would need to be a couple of other steps in between, such as something in the 12k range, and then something around 20k. Been so busy I didnt' get tp play with it as much as I had hoped, but really enjoyed it while I used it. Thanks again! mpp

Back