2018 Takedas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
75ED4FE9-939A-444A-B870-348C793CD295.jpeg
ACAFC525-2EAD-4550-BB7A-FF3ED5BE93E8.jpeg
495C5BB5-8F6D-4BFE-B95D-008153971F9D.jpeg
Oops, forgot about this thread! So here it is. Nowhere near like what Dave or Jon would have done with it, but functionally it doesn’t split carrots. I’m thinking of giving it another session or two; this should perhaps be considered the bare minimum of what needs to be done to a new Takeda.

View attachment 41324 View attachment 41325 View attachment 41326 Oops, forgot about this thread! So here it is. Nowhere near like what Dave or Jon would have done with it, but functionally it doesn’t split carrots. I’m thinking of giving it another session or two; this should perhaps be considered the bare minimum of what needs to be done to a new Takeda.
So it seems, but it looks good still. I thought the new ones are concave aren't they? Or was that just the old ones?

I own his large suji, 240 gyuto, 210 bunka and ko bocho in natural AS as well as his 170 bunka stainless clad. They've all been purchased over the last 3 or so years. I'm happy to report I've had no problem at all with any of their grinds. The 170 clad bunka was purchased this year.

Each of the knives I purchased new benefited from a sharpening of the OOTB edge. Nothing crazy but there was some initial microchipping --- which hasn't recurred.

I'd like to make a vigorous recommendation to anyone who purchases a Takeda new. Take some time, research the intstructional videos and learn how to sharpen these properly.

It's a very flat edge grind and extremely easy to start turning the edge convex --- which seems to degrade these knives' performance to a proportionately greater degree than any of my other knives. That said, when sharpened properly.... very nice.

Good luck...

Back