20cm sauce pan/ cooking pot recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a 20cm 2.5-3l sauce pan and occasionally as small saute and cooking pot, preferably heavy bottomed, I have an All Clad Saucier that is doing good but bottom diameter is just too small for certain tasks, currently narrowing down to these two, Demeyere one is just too expensive, never had WMF and I don't know if their base works as well as Fisslers (as in extend all the way to the edge)
https://www.knivesandtools.com/en/pt/-wmf-gourmet-plus-0726206030-saucepan-20-cm-with-lid.htm

https://www.knivesandtools.com/en/pt/-fissler-original-profi-collection-20-cm-casserole-1.htm
https://www.knivesandtools.com/en/p...-20-000-0-cooking-pot-20-cm-32l-glass-lid.htm

Last edited:
I bought the fissler original profi for exactly that role and I’ve been extremely satisfied with it. A little deep compared to a traditional sauté, but only a little, the tradeoff is that the extra depth makes the pan super versatile. As a bonus it has just a great lid.

If you can find it try to get the saucepan with a stick handle. The two loop handle casserole you linked to is difficult for such a small pan, every time you want to give the pan a shake you have to grab a pot holder. Limits its usefulness as a sauté imo.
image.jpg

Last edited:
I bought the fissler original profi for exactly that role and I’ve been extremely satisfied with it. A little deep compared to a traditional sauté, but only a little, the tradeoff is that the extra depth makes the pan super versatile. As a bonus it has just a great lid.

If you can find it try to get the saucepan with a stick handle. The two loop handle casserole you linked to is difficult for such a small pan, every time you want to give the pan a shake you have to grab a pot holder. Limits its usefulness as a sauté imo.
View attachment 322971
Thanks, sadly seems they no longer makes single handled large sauce pan and saute pan anymore, that’s why WMF is kind tempting to me

Crate and barrel sells larger all clad pots 23-24cm in d3 line.

I have two 4.5qt all-clad pots with two loop handles that are excellent for boiling, soup, pasta, etc. They are about 20cm diameter. i really like that size but that size is discontinued to my knowledge. I highly recommend them if you can find one on ebay. I prefer two loop handles over one long handle but thats preference. My pots are D3 and MC2 variants and it doesn’t matter for my uses other than the D3 has a curved lip.

I'd just get a bigger saucier. Real pans have curves!
The 24 cm sauciers are probably my most used size / pan after my 28 cm frying pans.

Personally I'd always get something with a stick handle over 2 loop handles; makes it much easier to manipulate the pan with 1 hand.

I'd also never get a disk-bottom saucier... doesn't make sense. If it's going to be conical it has to be clad...

The 24 cm sauciers are probably my most used size / pan after my 28 cm frying pans.

Personally I'd always get something with a stick handle over 2 loop handles; makes it much easier to manipulate the pan with 1 hand.

I'd also never get a disk-bottom saucier... doesn't make sense. If it's going to be conical it has to be clad...
Same philosophy here, curve pan all clad straight pan disc, tho this time I’m looking more for a flat wall sauce pan just for extra bottom space within the same top diameter

Last edited:
Crate and barrel sells larger all clad pots 23-24cm in d3 line.

I have two 4.5qt all-clad pots with two loop handles that are excellent for boiling, soup, pasta, etc. They are about 20cm diameter. i really like that size but that size is discontinued to my knowledge. I highly recommend them if you can find one on ebay. I prefer two loop handles over one long handle but thats preference. My pots are D3 and MC2 variants and it doesn’t matter for my uses other than the D3 has a curved lip.
I had one of those 4.5qt All-Clad D3 soup pots and it was a fantastic and very useful size. I used it a lot for pasta.

I sent it in to All Clad for warranty return due to rim erosion and they have replaced it with a 4qt soup pot, since the 4.5qt is NLA.

Side note: I have noticed that for some years, All-Clad seemed to be coming out with new shapes and sizes of pots all the time. My theory is that it was a way for them to sell more pots to people with a lot of pots already. "You need this pot that is similar to but different from all our other pots. It's perfect for weeknight cooking when you have to get to soccer lessons!" Now, they seem to be contracting their lines quite a bit, focusing on fewer pieces, and a lot of that older stuff is NLA.

I have a 28cm Demeyere Atlantis conical pot on the way as well. I'm hoping it will take the place of the 4.5qt All-Clad as a utility player.
https://berondi.com/demeyere-atlantis-conical-dutch-oven-28-25328-40850-935.html

If only they made that 28 cm saucier with a stick handle... it'd be the perfect do it all pan.
They actually do, but only in the Apollo seriesz so neither flared nor encapsulated rim.

If only they made that 28 cm saucier with a stick handle... it'd be the perfect do it all pan.
They actually do, but only in the Apollo seriesz so neither flared nor encapsulated rim.
Falk has one

That said I might be go for the WMF, seems like the one fits my need most, just there’s very little feedback I can get on their stuff…

Last edited:
Falk has one

That said I might be go for the WMF, seems like the one fits my need most, just there’s very little feedback I can get on their stuff…
Yea but the Falk is like 300 euros. So is the Mauviel one...
There's limits to how much I want one. ;)
I think the Falk one is also so heavy that it becomes rather hard to use.

But still it's IMO the perfect do it all pan shape. Basically all the advantages of a wok, frying pan and a saucier in one pan, but with enough surface area that it works well on any type of stove.

I'd get the Falk except for my fears that it'll warp on induction. Or the gorgeous 6 qt pot au feu. Same fears.

I'd get the Falk except for my fears that it'll warp on induction. Or the gorgeous 6 qt pot au feu. Same fears.
The classic copper + stainless interior version is very unlikely to warp at all ever... because it won't really work on induction.
They do have a newer copper core line... but it has thinner copper...and they didn't encapsulate the rim so dishwashing is dubious. Biggest problem is that its empty weight is 3,25 kg. Good luck tossing with that.

It's the copper core line I'm looking at. I suspect that copper will fare much better than aluminum in a dishwasher, but am willing to try, eyes open.

WMF enjoys a very high reputation in Germany. It's quality stuff.

Also found this, only 0.9mm of copper and some aluminum but I guess for a saucepan it works? All clad has some stuff one sale
https://homeandcooksales.com/index.php/3-qt-sauce-pan-w-lid-copper-core-second-quality-3.html
I really think the paderno I linked above is promising. I never used it but they sold it at dean and deluca (a high end Italian grocery in soho) for years. Here’s an old review

https://www.centurylife.org/in-dept...s-2100-11-inch-paella-pan-skillet-frying-pan/

The sauté pans have different construction, similar to a demeyere Atlantis.

Last edited:

Back