240+ Knives and 1k Stones Are Hivemind Hype!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hang on a minute...

Just need to get this...

Almost readyyyyyy...😁

Okay. Ready.

armor.jpg

It's been slow around here so let's kick some tires. 😁

Understand, this is not a knock on the tools or your preferences, but rather the mantras that so often accompany them. The title is what the kids call click bait. ;) But, I do believe what follows and present my arguments for debate and discussion.

"You're going to find a 210 is too small and want a 240!" "For serious work, you need a 240." We see and hear some variation of these declarations often, especially when a new person asks for advice on choosing a new knife. My personal experience, and I know many others as well, this is simply not true and in fact in many ways the opposite. I suspect these types of statements are more a reflection of the declarer's personal druthers than genuine advice for the hapless noob.

I watch a lot of knife and cooking videos and these include a lot of cutting and professional cooks and a couple things are very common when you look for them. One, rarely is anyone cutting up multiple larger veggies at once and often when they are, they are roughly chopping them. So yes, a longer knife may be nice in those few instances but if you're rough chopping anyway, how much faster is it really? And if you're a home cook, how often does this even apply or become a need? Two, a lot of pro cooks outside of their pro kitchens routinely use smaller knives. I've seen this with vendors as well. They will repeat the oft-spoken "a 240 might seem big in the beginning but once you get used to it it's the best..." mantra but then scattered throughout their videos are comments about how much they use bunkas and nakiri at home. I don't think it is nefarious and trying to sell the more expensive knives, I think they are reflecting what they too see and hear all the time. I also think that people who have been pro cooks/chefs just naturally have the larger knife bias.

I submit that in terms of blade length, the advantages of going longer are much more an exception than the rule and especially so for home cooks. Further, I'd bet that the overwhelming majority of cutting tasks accomplished by home cooks are vegetables and probably not in bulk quantity. Does a 240 dice an onion any better than a 165? I mean, you're only dicing one at a time. A 165 has no issue with sweet or russet potatoes and how many of those are you cutting at one time? And I'm not talking about a poor substitute getting the job done. I'm saying the shorter knife handles these tasks just fine. I see a whole lot of people, even here on the forum, cutting lone carrots, maybe a couple celery stalks at once or both halves a zucchini, but rarely do I see anyone trying to plow through truly hefty loads. And again, as a home cook do you need to do that?

A 180 deba is considered sufficient for many larger fish tasks and 210's are large. So why does one need a 240+ gyuto for such tasks?

"240's are better at rock chopping." Granted. Sure the lever is longer but how often do you rock chop? And how often do you rock chop versus how often you use the tip? Tip control is easier on shorter knives.

"240's often have more weight and that helps cutting." Okay, again, granted. But this is a niche within the larger knife crowd. There's just as many who prefer thin lasers so it defies the "need" mantra.

I think this "240+ or die" mentality is some carry over from ham-fisted men with barrel chests strained against leather aprons, with scowls on their faces and sour dispositions, in dimly lit kitchens who were as much butcher as chef. How many of us have seen friends or family, hell our wives, prepare entire meals with paring knives? I've watched my prepare many a chef salad with one. No, they often aren't executing precise cuts but even so, would they need a 240 for that? ;)

"Master the 1k!" "A 1k is the best all around, one-stone starter." The late Ken Schwartz popularized the former and the latter is a common statement. The subscribers of this theory profess that a 1k can do a little cutting but still give a decent edge. That isn't great at any one thing but is good at most so it is a good one-stone starter. I submit that those attributes are exactly why it isn't. I'm a touch more serious on this subject than the previous one. As most of us know, the coarse stone is where the work gets done. We cannot grit our way into sharpness so we must be proficient with coarser stones. Might as well start early. A SG500 or possibly even a Shapton 320 are very good here. They can handle most all steels, save the exceptional ones and most new folks won't be going for those anyways. They can handle most edge work that will be needed and can do it quickly. Sure, there's an argument about higher girts being safer to learn on but I don't know that a 1k provides all that much cushion. A coarser stone will raise the burr quickly providing faster feedback and, just as importantly, get the knife off the stone sooner. Time on the stone increases mistake potential.

A low grit edge is fine in the kitchen. Most of us aren't slinging a ton of raw fish. I bet a whole lot of us stop somewhere between 2 and 4k anyway. No, a 320 edge is not as pleasant as those, but it is fully functional and while I know many don't like non-stone stropping, a light touch on some newspaper or denim can spruce that edge up pretty nicely. I wonder how many people who make this claim even use a 1k after a while?

When in doubt, and when choices are limited, default to coarser.

Okay, those are my arguments. What you got?

And keep in mind, this is all good natured and in fun. I'm not insulting anyone's lineage here so no need to get upset. :)

Attachments

• armor.jpg
    armor.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 0
Having now used ~200, 240, 270, I feel like my most comfortable width is somewhere between 200 and 240. Can't say exactly why, just what feels comfortable and functional. Probably 225-230 range but it requires trying more knives I suppose. My most commonly used knife these days is a 240, but it's much lighter than my 200 knife, so it's more about length than weight.

This is speaking completely as a home cook who never does large preps.

You wanna kick it up? How about this: anything shorter than 210 should be a santoku, not a gyuto., Why? Because as the knife gets shorter, the tip gets too high and the knife too curvy to be useful. The dropped tip of the santoku keeps the curve more like a longer gyuto.

The basic problem I find with shorter knives is that since I grab in the pinch, you just end up with not enough blade. I like a Sakai 210 (200mm) and work well with a Sakai 240 (~230mm). 215-225 on the edge are great lengths that give me enough blade to work with. I find for certain tasks (like slicing protein) I actually change my grip to give me more usable blade.

This is all of course dependent on the way the blade is shaped. The current trend of swept back heels make long blades effectively really short (as you lose more length under your pinch grip)

I've also had a 210, 240 and 270 by the exact same make (Kono MM in Blue 2). Weights were 170 - 210 grams, so nothing absurd. Balance on every blade was perfectly at the pinch and they felt like nice extensions of the hand. Moving up in length just got you more blade. You don't have to go beast mode to move up in size. The KS is a great example of this.

One could also comment on the whole exaggerated heel height that everyone is going for nowadays. 45mm tall 210s are super nimble fun knives.

I suspect preference for length is at least partially influenced by vertical distance from the cutting surface. If you have low counters and/or you’re tall, then it’s a longer distance from your elbow to the cutting surface so you need a longer blade. You’ll probably also rock chop or guillotine and glide more due to body mechanics with that height so a slightly more curved profile helps which also adds to the need for additional length.

And I will also bet that low counters (or tall people) are a factor in the tall heel height virus going around.

My counters are quite high so I push-cut a lot. And with push cutting I don’t need much length, so I’m perfectly fine with 180 nakiris and 180-210 gyutos with flatter profiles.

Here’s a visual of what I’m talking about - look at how straight my wrist is even at the bottom of a cut, and there’s only a slight downward angle to my forearm. This is a 210x55 I’m holding. Anything longer would have the some ergonomic issues. But if the cutting surface was a few inches lower than a 240 or longer would definitely work better.

As an aside, I used to be into woodworking and read ergonomic best practices on workbench height for different tasks. Basically for work involving low force and high precision, you want the surface to be just a few inches below your elbows. So I applied those principles when selecting this counter height (it’s a custom kitchen). It helps to reduce back, neck, and arm fatigue, and RSI.

IMG_0056.jpeg

Last edited:
I think the idea of the 240 reccomendation follows more of a “one size fits all” rule. MOST people will either be immediately comfortable with a 240, or they will become comfortable with a 240 after some use. It fits as a good generalized reccomendation. Definitely not perfect.
I say this largely in reference to Sakai 240’s, which are really 225mm knives. 🤷

At the end of the day, it's what you're used to, what kind of space you have to work with, and how much cooking you do. For me, a 240 is the best all around size. It's not too big for the finest detail, and it's not too small to throw down and get stuff done. That said, I entertain a fair amount as a home cook, and when I'm in the weeds, getting my prep done, I use 270's more often than not. I think learning on a full size knife also leads to better skills. I'll use a 180-230 if I'm just doing odd jobs or cooking for a small group.

At the end of the day, it's what you're used to, what kind of space you have to work with, and how much cooking you do. For me, a 240 is the best all around size. It's not too big for the finest detail, and it's not too small to throw down and get stuff done. That said, I entertain a fair amount as a home cook, and when I'm in the weeds, getting my prep done, I use 270's more often than not. I think learning on a full size knife also leads to better skills. I'll use a 180-230 if I'm just doing odd jobs or cooking for a small group.

Interesting. Two questions...

1. What does the 270 bring to the table that you feel helps you in those stressful moments?

2. What about larger knives do you think helps improve knife skills?

Sincere questions.

Well, this is fun.

"240's often have more weight and that helps cutting." Okay, again, granted. But this is a niche within the larger knife crowd. There's just as many who prefer thin lasers so it defies the "need" mantra.

Or maybe not. You just granted my position instead of dismissing it. How am I supposed to argue with that?

What I can add is that if I were recommending knife length to a noob, it would feel a bit patronizing to say the equivalent of "Well, I prefer lengths in the 240-300 range, but for you, I guess I should recommend a nice 210. It will do fine, for the likes of you." Why wouldn't I recommend what I like myself?

As for stones, I take your point that lower-grit stones can make serviceable edges in a short amount of time. But remembering back to my newbie sharpening days, what I remember is that I could make a whole lot of mess in a short time, and I'm grateful that I was doing that with a 1K, instead of something faster that made deeper scratches and fatter burrs that tear off in more consequential ways. Is a proper sharpening with a 320, including the deburring, really faster than on a 1000? I'd say yes, but only for the first time out, starting with a really dull edge. Maintenance after that, I'd think not.

I find a 270 more efficient. Part of it is just a question of leverage and geometry, but there is more blade to work with (easier to scoop up product and less flicking it off the blade and then transferring), and the blade stays sharp longer because less of it is in contact with the board. In terms of skills, I think the ability to do fine tip work with a 270 leads to more precision with other knives.

I find a 210 too short for full heads of lettuce, bunches of greens, etc - stuff that forms the foundation of most of what I cook. I rarely am using a 250+ gyuto and find myself wishing for a smaller knife. I do really enjoy small nimble nakiris though.

I agree that your edges should be sharpen from 300 grit and that a sg500 can make a very fine kitchen edge, but deburring on a stone that raises a new burr so quickly is not easy and I find deburring to be the thing newer sharpeners struggle with most. I think 800-1k is a better balance than 500 as the one first stone.

Well, this is fun.

Or maybe not. You just granted my position instead of dismissing it. How am I supposed to argue with that?

What I can add is that if I were recommending knife length to a noob, it would feel a bit patronizing to say the equivalent of "Well, I prefer lengths in the 240-300 range, but for you, I guess I should recommend a nice 210. It will do fine, for the likes of you." Why wouldn't I recommend what I like myself?

As for stones, I take your point that lower-grit stones can make serviceable edges in a short amount of time. But remembering back to my newbie sharpening days, what I remember is that I could make a whole lot of mess in a short time, and I'm grateful that I was doing that with a 1K, instead of something faster that made deeper scratches and fatter burrs that tear off in more consequential ways. Is a proper sharpening with a 320, including the deburring, really faster than on a 1000? I'd say yes, but only for the first time out, starting with a really dull edge. Maintenance after that, I'd think not.

For sure I wouldn't want anyone recommending a knife in that way. But I also don't think you need to. I like shorter knives but when I'm recommending stuff to other people I consider what they want, what their use case is and just denote what my personal preferences are while still trying to recommend something suitable for them even if it is different than what I like.

I think you can say what you personally like and still give legit recommendations. My point was the oft repeated "you're just going to want a 240 anyway" assertion.

I find a 210 too short for full heads of lettuce, bunches of greens, etc - stuff that forms the foundation of most of what I cook. I rarely am using a 250+ gyuto and find myself wishing for a smaller knife. I do really enjoy small nimble nakiris though.

I agree that your edges should be sharpen from 300 grit and that a sg500 can make a very fine kitchen edge, but deburring on a stone that raises a new burr so quickly is not easy and I find deburring to be the thing newer sharpeners struggle with most. I think 800-1k is a better balance than 500 as the one first stone.

That's an excellent point about deburring.

I use a 250 for brunoise half a carrot every morning/evening for the dog lol. Completely unnecessary but they're just comfortable for me. I don't like small gyutos for the most part, but I really enjoy 170-180 rectangles for my smaller knives.

That said, I just got a 200x53 gyuto from @Gshep91 that has been quite a bit of fun. If it was shorter at the heel I probably wouldn't like it half as much but the tall stubby profile is fun and enjoyable. Similar to what Eddworks just dropped.

I was always scared of 240s being too big but the bond/comfort with them was instant, and they usually have a larger sweet spot than a 210 of the same knife. Cutting board/workspace size is really the only limiting factor for me recommending them to everyone.

240 is the shortest I would consider for a gyuto for myself.
165-180 is fine for a nakiri or a petty but it is not appropriate for a gyuto. Unless your kitchen is in the back seat of a Smart Car or something.

Damnit Jayson. I'm disappointed!

I've been waiting for you to show up with a video of you plowing through carrots and peppers!

😁

Damnit Jayson. I'm disappointed!

I've been waiting for you to show up with a video of you plowing through carrots and peppers!

😁
Just because I wouldn't buy one doesn't mean I don't use them. There are videos of me using 180s and 210s. I use them at work too. I just don't enjoy it. Even for dicing an onion or a potato they feel too small. Which is weird that a 210 gyuto can feel too short but I'm fine with a 165 nakiri. But as Escoffier should have said, "there is no accounting for knife taste!" 😜

Just because I wouldn't buy one doesn't mean I don't use them. There are videos of me using 180s and 210s. I use them at work too. I just don't enjoy it. Even for dicing an onion or a potato they feel too small. Which is weird that a 210 gyuto can feel too short but I'm fine with a 165 nakiri. But as Escoffier should have said, "there is no accounting for knife taste!" 😜

Oh I know how much you like the longer knives and actually meant that. Said it badly. I was expecting one of your many videos of you slaying though your prep. I think you and @kpham12 might have the KKF record for videos using larger knives.

Hand size definitely plays a role too I think. Here is me holding a 230 gyuto petty.
175217-52CD5ADD-8322-4476-83C2-1F1256794A61.jpeg

I can pretty easily lose the rear 10-15mm just from pinch grip positioning and things just start feeling cramped for my personal tastes under 245 for triangle shaped knives. Don't have that issue with rectangle profiles.

But anyways @HumbleHomeCook, I agree, the "you need a 240" stuff is overblown. Plenty of excellent cooks work with smaller. I don't know anyone working in the highest levels of fine dining using a 240 and certainly nothing larger. But their prep looks very different from someone working a banquet kitchen or what I used to do daily in a quick service setting.

I don't discriminate in knife length. My general purpose knives run from 165 to 270 and I like all of them. Height is where I draw lines though, anything under 46mm I find more difficult to use. If I need to get the 240 to get the height, so be it.

For stone, I think recommending a mid grit for the first stone assumes that the person sharpening has knives whose apex isn't too far gone. Low grit stone would be overkill and likely lead to inconsistent burrs and frustration. That said, I think the SG500 is a good middle ground here. I recommend that as a first stone all the time, especially if the knives being sharpened are primarily soft stainless.

With length a lot of times also comes height. I like 50mm or higher. That being said I also have a 213x 52mm gyuto. I would like a larger say 240 x 55-60 though. Large cleavers are my preference. With height come comfort for me. So length can play a roll in that.

I agree that I tend to have common items of produce, cabbages, greens, large root veg, where I find 240+ are able to make all the cuts without having to adjust for the size of the knife during the prep. I prefer larger versions of most knife types because I find that the basic geometry at 180 or 210 is improved with elongating it, and also allows for the existing proportions in the smaller sizes to be "amplified" where the thicker parts can be thicker, thinner ones can be thinner, etc.

Hand size definitely plays a role too I think. Here is me holding a 230 gyuto petty.
View attachment 288807
I can pretty easily lose the rear 10-15mm just from pinch grip positioning and things just start feeling cramped for my personal tastes under 245 for triangle shaped knives. Don't have that issue with rectangle profiles.

But anyways @HumbleHomeCook, I agree, the "you need a 240" stuff is overblown. Plenty of excellent cooks work with smaller. I don't know anyone working in the highest levels of fine dining using a 240 and certainly nothing larger. But their prep looks very different from someone working a banquet kitchen or what I used to do daily in a quick service setting.

Freak.

😝

TLDR.. I have small hands and a tall kitchen.

I suspect preference for length is at least partially influenced by vertical distance from the cutting surface. If you have low counters and/or you’re tall, then it’s a longer distance from your elbow to the cutting surface so you need a longer blade. You’ll probably also rock chop or guillotine and glide more due to body mechanics with that height so a slightly more curved profile helps which also adds to the need for additional length.

And I will also bet that low counters (or tall people) are a factor in the tall heel height virus going around.

My counters are quite high so I push-cut a lot. And with push cutting I don’t need much length, so I’m perfectly fine with 180 nakiris and 180-210 gyutos with flatter profiles.

Here’s a visual of what I’m talking about - look at how straight my wrist is even at the bottom of a cut, and there’s only a slight downward angle to my forearm. This is a 210x55 I’m holding. Anything longer would have the some ergonomic issues. But if the cutting surface was a few inches lower than a 240 or longer would definitely work better.

As an aside, I used to be into woodworking and read ergonomic best practices on workbench height for different tasks. Basically for work involving low force and high precision, you want the surface to be just a few inches below your elbows. So I applied those principles when selecting this counter height (it’s a custom kitchen). It helps to reduce back, neck, and arm fatigue, and RSI.

View attachment 288799

Fully Agree.. Tall kitchen, Tall Board, Small hands = Sakai 210 comfort.... as seen below I don't really need the "extra clearance" or "extra cutting space." the Small 210s are perfect in terms of nimble / fine cutting. I think patina evidances almost full usage of most of blade length.

For reference both are Sakai 210's (190mm ish long, 45mm tall) Nakagawa Dammy / Kagekiyo Blue #1

IMG_0251.jpg

My hand on a 240x58mm Blank Blade for reference. this one comes out when larger veg's need to be prepped. I love this one the best as the tip gets much smaller like my 210s which allows for all round work, but the 190s def get most of the usage.
IMG_0253.jpg

Last edited:
I use a 210 Sakai for everyday stuff, prepping a morning meal. Agreed on height. I like tall knives in the 230-50 range, then shorter as they get north of 260, for maneuverability. On the short stuff, it depends: I use a 210 Ashi Ginga petty a lot.

unfortunately the fact that I prefer 240 and think 1K is the best single gritter might throw some water on this given I never miss an opportunity to be a contrarian.

fwiw I think that "the best size" tends to be the one youre the most used to unless you start getting into pretty extreme lengths either short or long, narrow or tall.

Precisely 240mm is the only acceptable size for a gyuto, for anyone in any situation doing anything, period. :D

With that said, my favorite all arounder is a 231mm chef knife for the following reasons:
1. On knives <<220mm, for me pinch grip ends up taking up too much of the most important real estate on the knife (the flat edge area). I like to use a variety of pinch grips depending on the task. Sometimes I even put several fingers on the side of the blade for certain motions. These options get reduced the smaller the blade. For my 203x49mm gyuto, which I really only use for quick 1-off tasks, I tend to not use a proper pinch grip at all for this reason
2. The longer the gyuto, the longer the flat area can be while retaining good curvature at the tip, and hence the more of a "built in nakiri" there is at the base. For a sub 200mm knife, I find the profile just cannot fit in a decent "nakiri section" while retaining a good tip geometry. It becomes a santoku with a snub tip that is more limited in usefulness
3. The longer a gyuto gets, the more it can substitute for a slicer/sujihiki in many tasks. This may be beneficial if you find yourself slicing a lot, or maybe even want to avoid purchasing a dedicated slicer knife entirely by just having one long gyuto. Personally I have multiple slicers but still incorporate a decent amount of slicing into my gyuto use because it's convenient
4. Longer knives are easier to scoop with. Scooping near the handle is difficult and often requires grip adjustment, otherwise the handle gets in the way
5. Some things are awkward to cut with a short blade. Large cabbage or cauliflower?
6. You can scrape more stuff on the board in one pass w/ a long blade
7. On shorter knives, the handle can get in the way when sharpening w/ certain motions. I find longer knives easier to sharpen for this reason, and I often end up getting the areas approaching the tip sharper w/ less effort
8. If a robber walks into your kitchen, you are going to wish you had a longer gyuto in your hand

For the stones, I mostly agree w/ OP but would disagree with the emphases placed on time on the stones. Instead, I would weight more heavily the potential for more damaging mistakes at lower grits. You effectively have a lower resolution for material removal and create deeper scratches per pass. You might save time and be able to maintain focus better if there are less passes to do on the stones, but any mistake made is more costly and will take more time to fix. For a starter, I would personally recommend a 1k as they are highly likely to use the wrong angle initially, twist the knife, etc. and scratch it up.

As already mentioned, I’ve also found 210’s to be too short for long cuts (cabbage heads, melons, large bunches of greens, etc.)

As a proportionally tall person (6’3), 240-270 feels better to me

I tend to enjoy the heft and control of a heavier knife (220g-300+). It’s hard to find that in a 210

I have somewhat larger hands (size 8 surgical)(not massive), so heel height above 50 (prefer 53+) feels better to me

Lastly, I’m a home cook with lots of space, so I’m not restricted most of the time. If I had a small tight space like a professional kitchen, I’d definitely consider going smaller.

I do agree that foundational stones of 200-500 grit get used way more than my 1000+ stones, especially when having to sharpen for others and fix a lot of chips / repairs

Back