• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD 240 Matsubara blue 2 Nashiji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked this up new back in May wanting to try out a tall knife, and it turns out I can't do tall knives, and this thing is tall. But man, this knife is awesome... Cuts like a laser but has very good food release. If it was 8mm shorter (vertically) I'd never let it go. The blade was forged this thin, and consequently retains alot of hammer marks within the Nashiji, giving it a subtle tsuchime. Spine and choil are pretty smoove. Got a couple little scratches from use; I tried to catch the worst offender in photo 3. Sharpened once.
Edge: 245
Heel ht: 60!
Wt: 185g
Spine: 3mm @ heel, .8mm @ 1cm from the tip
Stainless clad Aogami #2
Looking for $215
IMG_20200908_134851614_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200908_135041623_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200908_135054967_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200908_134613702_HDR.jpg

I love my 230/55 Ginsan Matsubara. They are tall bastards but they are wonderful. Steal price you're making. GLWS - someone grab this!

That's rather lovely! I assume these cost a fair bit more new?

Congrats to buyer and seller.

So this one has been going for $250 plus tax over at C**G (I know some people have beef with this guy, but why don't we say the name?). I haven't used a mazaki yet so can't make the comparison, but they seem a bit like apples & oranges to me... Maz has got that thicker behind the edge, convex grind, workhorse thing going, yes? Matsubara is light and super thin, almost moving into midweight territory simply on account of the height, so more like a laser gliding thru food, but with just a bit more weight behind the punch. So it kinda comes down to that question/preference of workhorse vs laser. I tend to prefer the smooth cutting ability of knives that are very thin behind the edge, and a bit thinner overall. That said, this is one of the best performing knife that I've ever used...

And, it's SOLD. Thanks kkf.

Last edited:
There's a long history between the founder of C**G and the founders of KKF.

KKF and the C**G forum are both the result of a split from a previous common community.

As for me, Mazaki and Matsubara are both new to me! 😄

• Wow
Reactions: JDC
Back