300mm Damascus Suji. U.S. Pass-around

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being so far down the line on this passaround there isn't a whole lot that I can add to what has been said. I found that cutting onions caused discoloration, but it is not really an onion chopper, now is it? The length reinforced my feelings that 300 mm is too long for my home kitchen! It was nice for slicing ham, though.
Most seemed to not like the size of the handle, but I liked the way that it counterbalanced the blade. For me the balance made it easier to maneuver the big blade around. I really loved the execution of the handle, it is really pretty! The mokume was a nice touch and complimented the wood of the handle nicely. If this knife was customized for my working space it would be an excellent choice. The custom factor really is a plus here.
I liked the way the blade felt on the stones, when I received it there was some roughness in the edge near the tip, and it smoothed out nicely and took a satisfying edge.
Now, did Mark pick it up at his PO yet?

By the way if anyone can find a use for this knife, do drop me a pm. Obviously its far from perfect, so I would certainly let it go at used/ practice knife prices..:D

PM of interest sent:

rgds
D

Thanks for the feedback Spike, glad you liked it. David is going to take this one off my hands. I best pm Mark and make sure he has it.:D

I just returned from the Post Office where I picked up the package with Will's knife.

My first thought "It's a Monster"
It will be the longest kitchen knife I have ever used by a long shot.
My first impression of how it looked, "Beautiful Knife".
Holding it in hand I was surprised how light weight and well balanced it felt.

Now I have to head to the store to get something to cut with this beauty.

wc001.jpg

wc002.jpg

wc003.jpg

Cool thanks Mark, looks like you'll be doing dinner.:D

I used the knife last night to prepare dinner.
Bear in mind I am ignorant with proper cutting and such.

At first the size seemed a bit intimidating until I started cutting with it.
WOW! It is a lot of fun cutting with a good knife like this.

I started with a Tri tip cutting it into thin strips for stir fry. It would cut nice thin, even strips without compressing the meat. It was kind of like, "aim the knife and let it make the slice". Not only was it easy to make dozens of nice even slices, but the meat looked real pretty too.

Next I sliced up a bunch of mushrooms using the tip of the knife. Once again beautiful, thin and even slices.

Last I cut a Walla Walla Sweet onion.
Using the center portion of the blade I cut off both ends then cut in half.
Then I got a bit carried away cutting the 2 halves into thin slices.
I cut them thinner than I should have but I was having fun and they looked pretty.

So far I have no complaints. The knife has been fun to use and cuts great.

Thanks Mark, sounds like fun:D Its surprising how useful the longer knives are isn't it.

I have been using this knife every evening now since it arrived.
Many of the tasks were ones where I normally would have used a different knife but I wanted to see how things worked out with this knife.
It has changed my perspective a lot about a long slicing knife like this.

The family has enjoyed this knife being here because of all the different meals I have used it to prepare.

As much as I hate to do this, it is probably time to pass it on.
Will, please let me know where to send it.

Thanks you sir, your a gent. I'm really glad you've enjoyed it. Its coming back to me now for a quick clean up and a honing session before it goes to David in Singapore.:biggrin:

Back