A falling knife has no handle...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone hates mandolins. A while back I had to set up a stAtion that included a 6th pan of shaved garlic for use in marinating a fish dish every other day. For those of you not in the industry or the US that is about ten cups. I once had to throw it all away because the mando cut me right at the end and I bled in it. Soul crushing. I felt like it put me behind for hours.

Everyone hates mandolins. A while back I had to set up a stAtion that included a 6th pan of shaved garlic for use in marinating a fish dish every other day. For those of you not in the industry or the US that is about ten cups. I once had to throw it all away because the mando cut me right at the end and I bled in it. Soul crushing. I felt like it put me behind for hours.

I'd probably just go the Paulie razor blade method. Mandolins are the bane of prep's existence.

Back when I had to do that, we used a truffle slicer.

51uFcG65VVL._SL1181_.jpg

I have a kevlar glove which I'm not ashamed to say I make use of while going ape **** on a mandolin. After you give yourself an avulsion of the fingernail for the second time, the third time is NOT the charm.

I have a kevlar glove which I'm not ashamed to say I make use of while going ape **** on a mandolin. After you give yourself an avulsion of the fingernail for the second time, the third time is NOT the charm.
Definitely the #1 approved use of the Michael Jackson glove.

I can't type the sound it makes when I grab my crotch and stand on my tippie toes.

If someone tried to wear one of those protective mesh gloves in our kitchen, we would slap them with it.
You can't control the item you're cutting very well with a bulky glove.
You're going to cut yourself eventually, it's inevitable. Just don't be so scared. It makes the interns shaky.

Lol.... Yes slapped repeatedly. Sometimes wearing a latex glove is annoying enough I couldn't imagine chain mail. It would be like wearing a raincoat in the shower.
I've never seen any "dedicated pot holders " at work and if I do I will absolutely tease the person ;) a dry tea towel is all you need you just have to fold it right. You can pick up absolutely anything even heavy screaming hot char grill bars .

Sorry for getting off topic.

Sorry about your knife...
Luckily I'm spoilt for space at work and I can put any knives above my board far away from any bench edges.... Very paranoid about dropping.

I need to buy one and hook it to the mandolin with one of those pen chains from banks. Our insurance will probably pay me.

What's the difference between Michael Jackson and Buzz Aldrin? Actually- that might not be appropriate for some on this forum. Nevermiiiiiiiind.

One in none, two is one. Get a new one and send the old one to someone to get fixed. Hopefully it isn't a total loss. I had a 10" Henckels 4 star fall off the counter at a place I worked onto restaurant tile. Snapped basically in half. It sucks.

Last edited:
Back