A new project, a set with meteorite and ivory

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• 100_1258.jpg
    100_1258.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 100_1259.jpg
    100_1259.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 101
Looking good Del. Hope the new year is treating you well.

100_1262.jpg100_1263.jpg100_1264.jpg100_1265.jpg100_1266.jpg

The billet before welding, just after welding and drawn out to final dimensions.
The next step is to anneal the billet and to slice it up like a loaf of bread, except lengthwise.
The next pics will be of barstock ready to make knives out of. Although since this bar is a little short for the gyuto there will be some forging of one of the bars to get the required length.

Thanks,
Del

Looks like this is coming along real nice! Thanks for the WIP Del.

Sweet! Pobloz is going to probably have the belt done before Feb. Hopefully Colin still remembers that I would like a holster and still wants to do it! Definitely going to be an amazing outcome from 3 different artists.

100_1283.jpg100_1284.jpg

Finally got the bar sliced, have to do a bit of forging on one for the gyuto.

100_1285.jpg100_1287.jpg100_1289.jpg100_1290.jpg

Getting closer,
Forging the gyuto out, and the blanks for the petty and the paring knife along with a hippo tooth split for the handles
Del

The drool is going down my cheeks right now...for the longest time I wouldnt come close to your knives and then two impulse buys and I cant stay far away from them. Love your work sir.

The drool is going down my cheeks right now...for the longest time I wouldnt come close to your knives and then two impulse buys and I cant stay far away from them. Love your work sir.

In the same boat... only I have yet to get my hands on one of his beauts

Just got the 210 gyuto spalted oak handle from jigert. Stunning. Super duper comfy and great profile for me. I imagine it wont be my last....

Just got the 210 gyuto spalted oak handle from jigert. Stunning. Super duper comfy and great profile for me. I imagine it wont be my last....

Jealous! Taken it for a test drive?

Thanks for the in-progress pictures. They're amazing! :D I can't wait for the completed product.

Yea a couple of asian meals with a large variety of veges to cut. Breezed through them all with just a bit of wedging making crosscuts in onion being the only hiccup.No stiction, even with garlic slicing which usually does it, although no spuds were chopped yet to truly test it. Nice long handle and easily the comfiest i have. Great f&f, smooooth handle. I find myself holding alot.... All in all absolutely impressed and would recommend and will be keeping eyes out for more.

ok finished pics
meteorite damascus with bog oak bolsters and hippo ivory handles
Del

100_1323.jpg100_1324.jpg100_1325.jpg100_1326.jpg100_1327.jpg100_1328.jpg100_1329.jpg

meteorite Damascus looks Amazingly nice!! nice work!!

amazing, so impressive to be able to tell people (and i mean each and every person who comes to my home) what the knife is made of.

three of my favorite things, damascus, bog oak and ivory. excellent job Del. I might have to have you make me something when I get some money. On a hold for a while though. Maybe a trade.

three of my favorite things, damascus, bog oak and ivory. excellent job Del. I might have to have you make me something when I get some money. On a hold for a while though. Maybe a trade.

he has 1 more bar of this meteorite Damascus. he is saving it for me however if you wanted to Id let you use it!

just received my two in the mail and I am in love... perfect shapes and sizes. Thank so you much del! Cant wait to use them at work tomorrow! will post some pictures.

Amazing blades! I wish I could try to forge a knife some day.
But one question though: how do you sharpen them? Do you sharpen after the etch and sharpen only the final 1mm of the blade to preserve the pattern? Or do you sharpen and then etch and somehow preserve final the cutting edge?

Amazing blades! I wish I could try to forge a knife some day.
But one question though: how do you sharpen them? Do you sharpen after the etch and sharpen only the final 1mm of the blade to preserve the pattern? Or do you sharpen and then etch and somehow preserve final the cutting edge?

Sharpening is the final step, with the way these are ground it is only necessary to put the finally edge on and it results in a very thin bright line along the edge, about a mm.
Del

Latest posts

Back