addict?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thickness at the spine is not the issue - just check out a Shigefusa. I'm more concerned with how thick it is behind the edge. I'm thinking of taking it to the stones and doing some thinning.

Rick

Did you guys see that there is a Richmond Remedy in the works? with a profile similar to the TKC?

there are certainly a lot of good knives at that price point.

For that kind of money FnF and geometry are going to have to be almost perfect otherwise why would you buy a Dexter-Russell knife instead of one made by a Japanese craftsman?

He told us the addict was going to be $269, and its only $169.... its all smoke and screens... perception of value. Guarantee it will debut less than $269!

To be fair $250 isn't a bad price for a knife made from powdered steel. It's actually cheaper than most. I'm not fond of the addict though because I'm not a big fan of CM154/ATS-34. I find it inferior to VG-10 in almost every way and I think Mark made a mistake using it. Blade profile is a personal choice so I will not comment on that.

To be fair $250 isn't a bad price for a knife made from powdered steel. It's actually cheaper than most. I'm not fond of the addict though because I'm not a big fan of CM154/ATS-34. I find it inferior to VG-10 in almost every way and I think Mark made a mistake using it. Blade profile is a personal choice so I will not comment on that.

Steel choice is rather personal as well.

Steel choice is rather personal as well.

Sure it is when you have to decide between one characteristic versus another such as fine grain versus wear resistance. However there is nothing CM154/ATS-34 does better than VG-10. It rusts more easily, its slightly harder to get a great edge on it and it doesn't hold an edge as long. Its only advantage is that its easier to get a hold of in the US.

Some food for thought.

Knife making is like eating out - you can have a meal in a small restaurant ($$-$$$) or a large cafeteria ($-$$) where you have many economies of scale.

A friend of mine (a member here) told me once something that stuck with me for the rest of my life. He said "out of three things - price, quality, and customer service, you get to choose two". So each of us decides what is important to each of us.

M

As person who deals with automation regularly, I only partially agree with this. It really depends on how you define quality. With the proper economies to scale and automation, you can have all three. Lexus is a case in point. When it first came out it, was better in almost every way compared to German brands. Better service, better price, and better reliability. The only thing that car enthusiast complained about was that the cars had no soul.

The one thing that you can't get with price, quality, and service is customization. Automation by definition precludes a level of customization. If you want something that is slightly different, you are SOL. That is what craftsman like you bring to the table. Its the differentiation that makes you special. We get choices of material, shape, and finish. Its the variability while still maintaining quality that provides the soul to the a craft. When I see something that you guys make, most of the time, I can tell who made it. Its the style that makes you guys worth more.

Well said Rockbox!
Although, it would be hard to argue that the quality isn't higher as well. I'm not saying mass manufactured products can't be great, but in general, a skilled craftsman, like Marko, Pierre, Devin, Butch, etc will have superior products, with more soul.
After handling certain products recently, I would have to say, I'll be paying the premium almost always, from now on.

I'm not arguing that a mass produced knife is better quality than the stuff the knife makers here make. I would be stupid to do so. It was more a philosophical comment. If there were a market for 200K Kramer Chevron Damascus knives, I'm sure some company could make them with tighter tolerances than Bob could make them for far less money. The problem is that there would be another 199,999 knives just like it in the world and most of you guys wouldn't want it.

I know you weren't, I just wanted to make that little point clear :).

Back