All Clad vs De Buyer

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ordered a 12" debuyer, thanks for the tip! Not to derail the thread, but do you guys season with flaxseed oil first and in between uses?

I used coconut oil (because it was the most stable oil I had on hand) for the initial seasoning. I've used the de Buyer method of heating up a centimeter of oil on the stove until it smokes, but I prefer to season it like a wok. I heat up the thoroughly-washed pan on high heat, let it start to discolor a bit and then wipe it with with a paper towel dipped in oil, removing any excess and leaving only a thin coating. After the pan cools, you can repeat the process as many times as you want but I only do it once or twice and then just start using the pan as often as possible.

I used coconut oil (because it was the most stable oil I had on hand) for the initial seasoning. I've used the de Buyer method of heating up a centimeter of oil on the stove until it smokes, but I prefer to season it like a wok. I heat up the thoroughly-washed pan on high heat, let it start to discolor a bit and then wipe it with with a paper towel dipped in oil, removing any excess and leaving only a thin coating. After the pan cools, you can repeat the process as many times as you want but I only do it once or twice and then just start using the pan as often as possible.

That's how I season as well- don't like the debuyer method at all. I usually go several coats at high temp, smoking it all off, then cool. Then more coats, and ready to go after that. I've heard recommendations to use the highest smoke point oil you can get. Other folks insist lard is best. I just use canola or corn oil, they work just fine.

Thank you all for the input. I ended up getting the 10 & 12 in de buyer from west elm and the 11 and 13 in all clad. Can't wait to break them in. Still might have to try that Vollrath.

I think you're going to be very pleased with the combo.

The best trick I've found is to pre-heat the pan with a good bit of oil, and then pour and scrape out the hot oil and cook with fresh oil. Makes a HUGE difference in performance and sticking.

I do this also and I agree that it makes a huge difference. I preheat the pan and, before adding the cooking fat, I wipe it with a little seasoning oil and clean it out with a paper towel. Then I go ahead and cook as normal. Makes it much more nonstick and improves the seasoning.

For all of you jumping on the West Elm deal, you should know they take off an additional 10% from your order if you sign up for their emails. I didn't realize it until after I ordered so I contacted someone on their live chat and they applied it after the fact. Just a little something extra on an already sweet deal.

Are the debuyers really only oven safe to 400 degrees for 10 minutes as said on west elms site? I've been googling and many seem to go well beyond this for finishing steaks or initial seasoning.

Are the debuyers really only oven safe to 400 degrees for 10 minutes as said on west elms site? I've been googling and many seem to go well beyond this for finishing steaks or initial seasoning.

The handles might have a coating, which will burn off at higher temps. Burning the coating off is a good thing, in my opinion, as these pans are tops for very high heat.

Here is the seasoning method I use: First, clean it out with hot water and Barkeeper's Friend. Dry completely. Heat it over a medium flame, with coarse salt in the bottom of the pan. When the salt turns brown, swish it around the entire pan. The steel should start darkening all over. This is to remove all moisture from the steel. Let it cool, and wipe the salt out. Reheat the pan over medium. Use a paper towel to wipe a layer of Crisco over the entire pan, inside and out (not the handle). Put it in a 400 degree oven for an hour. Take it out, wipe another layer of Crisco on the inside only. The Crisco should brown in the pan. It will be splotchy at first. Do this over and over, on the inside only, until you get an even brown layer on the pan. Let the pan cool, wipe the inside and out with a layer of vegetable oil, and it should be ready to go. It will eventually turn black, if you keep doing layers, which is a good thing. Once it turns black, it is more durable than the brown layer, but it takes all day to get it black, so I wouldn't worry about it, unless you have the time. Just use it after you have a good polymerized layer. For a while, the seasoning might be sticky, so put a thin coat of vegetable oil on it after use, until it no longer needs it (you'll know when).

Here are the results, on a Paderno 12" (ignore the scratches, those were accidental damage caused by storage, not use).

click to embiggen

This seasoning is very durable, except when a sharp object is accidentally jabbed into it repeatedly by your wife, and very non-stick. It's been at least a year since I consciously did anything to the seasoning, with just regular cleaning with a soft sponge and dish soap. I don't do anything special when cooking, I just use it, and my other carbon steel pans which look the same, as any other pan.

Also excuse the food spatter, I haven't cleaned up from tonight's dinner yet!

I really do wish I could get cast iron handles, like on all my copper pots and pans, on carbon steel. That would be wonderful. They pop up on ebay, but not at prices I'm willing to pay.

No, they should be fine. Just a few hours ago I seared some pork chops on high heat in the 12" West Elm pan and finished them in a 450* oven. The handle didn't show so much as a hint of discoloration. I've also oven seasoned other de Buyer pans (not my favorite method for CS) at 500* for hours and had no issues. It might be an issue for the mineral line of pans that have the colored insert in the handle though.

The Mineral B pans, in my experience, have a coating on them similar to the Mauviel stainless lined copper handle coating. It burns.

I actually like the silicone coating on the mineralB handles. You'll never have to oil it or season it and keeps your hands cleaner. I did put one of my small mineralB in a 500F oven for over an hour and it did discolor the handle but it didn't completely burn off. Also you can try this seasoning technique instead of putting the whole thing in the oven. I get impatient when I get new "toys" so I don't actually get to too many layers and just start cooking after a few coatings.
[video=youtube;xoIO8YOpyN4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoIO8YOpyN4[/video]

ER,

What does rock salt do for the seasoning?

And, what's the advantage of cast handles?

Thanks.

ER,

What does rock salt do for the seasoning?

Thanks.
As stated, coarse salt removes moisture. Seasoning a wet pan is a bad idea.

The cast handles are better shaped and don't get as hot.

Had good experiences with the high temp DeBuyer's that has an enamelled handle. The favourite sauté pan is a Sitram professional line that is remarkably non stick (for SS) even after 12+ years. Got a crazy heavy copper base that is fully encapsulated.

My experience with Padermo was so so…after 2 years of regular use the aluminium disk had started to erode as a result of being run through the dishwasher.

Got some Mauviel SS lined copper and have never seen a coating burn off even on my 15K BTU burner, but then again it is too big to fit in the oven.

Thanks.

Aside from the increased comfort, the extra mass of the cast handle helps conduct heat very slowly, which keeps it cooler to the touch longer than carbon steel.
010070.jpg

The best handle option is probably the stainless. Stainless is a notoriously poor heat conductor.
010015.jpg

I did put one of my small mineralB in a 500F oven for over an hour and it did discolor the handle but it didn't completely burn off.
When the handle is very hot (500F), beware of anything that could scratch the handle, as it will get through the silicon like a hot knife through butter.

Also you can try this seasoning technique instead of putting the whole thing in the oven. I get impatient when I get new "toys" so I don't actually get to too many layers and just start cooking after a few coatings.
I've tried this technique on my Mineral B. The seasoning looked awesome, but went off when I cooked something in it for the first time. Don't know why...

How real men season a wok

[video=youtube;UGXGJD2xTzQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGXGJD2xTzQ[/video]

I've tried the ATK method using flax seed oil on my deBuyer CS pans when I got the first ones, but it just flaked off. I think I used too much oil. Here's the text f/ ATK:

For years we’ve seasoned cast-iron cookware in the test kitchen by placing it over medium heat and wiping out the pan with coats of vegetable oil until its surface turns dark and shiny. When a pan starts to look patchy, we simply repeat the process. But when we heard about a new method that creates a slick surface so indestructible that touch-ups are almost never necessary, we were intrigued. Developed by blogger Sheryl Canter, the approach calls for treating the pan with multiple coats of flaxseed oil between hour-long stints in the oven.
We carried out Canter’s approach on new, unseasoned cast-iron skillets and compared them with pans treated with vegetable oil—and the results amazed us. The flaxseed oil so effectively bonded to the skillets, forming a sheer, stick-resistant veneer, that even a run through our commercial dishwasher with a squirt of degreaser left them totally unscathed. But the vegetable oil-treated skillets showed rusty spots and patchiness when they emerged from the dishwasher, requiring reseasoning before use.
Why did the new treatment work so well? Flaxseed oil is the food-grade equivalent of linseed oil, used by artists to give their paintings a hard, polished finish, and it boasts six times the amount of omega-3 fatty acids as vegetable oil. Over prolonged exposure to high heat, these fatty acids combine to form a strong, solid matrix that polymerizes to the pan’s surface.
Although lengthy, seasoning with flaxseed oil is a mainly hands-off undertaking. We highly recommend the treatment:
1. Warm an unseasoned pan (either new or stripped of seasoning*) for 15 minutes in a 200-degree oven to open its pores.
2. Remove the pan from the oven. Place 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil in the pan and, using tongs, rub the oil into the surface with paper towels. With fresh paper towels, thoroughly wipe out the pan to remove excess oil.
3. Place the oiled pan upside down in a cold oven, then set the oven to its maximum baking temperature. Once the oven reaches its maximum temperature, heat the pan for one hour. Turn off the oven; cool the pan in the oven for at least two hours.
4. Repeat the process five more times, or until the pan develops a dark, semi-matte surface.

I'd like to try it again, properly. Curious to see if it would hold up to making a sauce or steaming.

I've tried the ATK method using flax seed oil on my deBuyer CS pans when I got the first ones, but it just flaked off. I think I used too much oil. Here's the text f/ ATK:

me too! i used too much oil and tried to lay on a thick layer at once. fail!! i started over, and wiped on a thin layer, put the pan upside down so it could drain. win!! it worked. super durable.

i did it all on my gas grill outside. worked nice. now i can do whatever with the pan..just this past weekend, i used them to poach eggs. and i wash them with hot water as well.

What a coincidence, I just finished seasoning my De Buyer wok with the guidance of that same youtube video mpukas posted.
Worked great by the way.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

^Richard - nice! Where'd you get that deBuyer wok? How is it - is it like a traditional Chinese wok w/ a heavy bottom and light sides?

I've been using the 11" De Buyer Country Fry Pan as my wok. Used it all weekend actually. I do have gas and a high-output burner but a flat wok is still better suited to traditional stoves. its not just how many BTU's but where the flame is being applied to the pan.

@ mpukas,
I have bought it from a webshop here in Holland.
It is a Carbon Plus. Bottom and sides have the same thickness of 1,5 mm, the pan is 35 cm in diameter.
In the summer I use a wok burner like this one in the garden. Better not use that inside the house :biggrin:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

^Richard - nice! Where'd you get that deBuyer wok? How is it - is it like a traditional Chinese wok w/ a heavy bottom and light sides?

They have them on Amazon. Quite expensive for a wok though.

I've ruined the seasoned surface of one of my de Buyer pans recently. Unthinkingly I cooked a batch of sugo in it and the acidity in the tomatoes stripped off quite a bit of the coating in patches.

So, I thought I'd strip off all the old coating completely, bring it back to iron and try the flaxseed oil and method suggested by Sheryl Canter.

What's the best and most efficient way to get the messed up patchy coating off? I was thinking of boiling some vinegar in it and then using good ol' elbow grease and sandpaper. Suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

Back