All Clad vs De Buyer

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a DeBuyer 28cm carbon pan, but only to make steaks, fried tartar steaks and several other meats, veggies like egg plants and zuccini. I cant do sauces because the stick layer will go. I use a non stick pan for sauces.

I use a DeBuyer 28cm carbon pan, but only to make steaks, fried tartar steaks and several other meats, veggies like egg plants and zuccini. I cant do sauces because the stick layer will go. I use a non stick pan for sauces.

What I do for pan sauces, when using carbon steel to cook the protein, is to transfer the fond from the carbon pan into a more appropriate vessel (I usually use a tinned copper Windsor pan for sauces). A good seasoning on the carbon steel will put up with some spatula scraping.

I have three sizes of De Buyer steel pans with cast iron handles, and these will got to the grave with me. The cast handles makes such a big difference, but unfortunately, De Buyer discontinued them a couple of years ago.

FWIW, I wanted to buy a couple of these last year and couldn't find them anywhere in the US, but then discovered they are still sold on rakuten.

FWIW, I wanted to buy a couple of these last year and couldn't find them anywhere in the US, but then discovered they are still sold on rakuten.

cool - got clicky?

OK, barkeeper's friend it is then.
Thanks!

Nice find! Prices are about the same as what I paid for mine.

Oh, that's reassuring to know - I'd guessed the Japanese prices would have been significantly higher. Of course, there's then the added convenience of buying them from the other side of the world... shipping was a pain to organize.

Do they have an English site?
I haven't been able to find the de Buyer 5910 pans with cast handles on the Rakuten english version. Use a web browser that has translator. Internet Explorer 10 & 11 as well as Google Chrome do.

Got my 12". Not used to a new pan that has some light scratches around it, ding in the top rim. No big deal. Seasoning it with flaxseed oil, first round done, second underway.

I've yet to see a new carbon that didn't have scratches and dings. They aren't expensive pans, and don't have amazing for and finish. FnF isn't the point, with them.

I think the 10" is fine for eggs, the inner measurement seems a little smaller than other pans I have.

Gotcha, I figured. It's taking on a nice coloration after only two rounds. Can't wait to use it. I shoulda gotten the 8" for eggs.
I have the 8", 10" and 12". When I ordered them, I thought I would use the 12" the least and the 8" most but, in fact, the opposite is true. The 8" is too small, too thick and the sides are too high for eggs (and most other things), at least the way I make them. The 10" is probably the best of the three for eggs. If you want a dedicated egg pan though, I suggest a de Buyer crepe pan (I like the 9.5" size) in one of the thinner lines: either la Lyonnaise or Force Blue. The thinner pans conduct heat much faster and the low sides make flipping or sliding onto a plate very easy.
31-03YpumPL.jpg

Would love to have de buyer pans be available locally. Lots of fine dining restos would pay an arm and a leg for them.

I have the 8", 10" and 12". When I ordered them, I thought I would use the 12" the least and the 8" most but, in fact, the opposite is true. The 8" is too small, too thick and the sides are too high for eggs (and most other things), at least the way I make them. The 10" is probably the best of the three for eggs. If you want a dedicated egg pan though, I suggest a de Buyer crepe pan (I like the 9.5" size) in one of the thinner lines: either la Lyonnaise or Force Blue. The thinner pans conduct heat much faster and the low sides make flipping or sliding onto a plate very easy.

I love love love the debuyer crepe pans - I use 'em all the time, for eggs, pancakes, crepes, and almost anything except proteins. for proteins, usually use the 10" and 12" skillets. fantastic for everything (except sauces)

I just ordered the 9.5" Force Blue crepe. Can it be seasoned using the flax seed oil method, too?

Yes. It's the same carbon steel, just thinner and gun-blued to keep from rusting on the shelf. I seasoned my crepe pan in the oven, but I'd use the stove top method if I had to do it over.

The force blue crepe pan is too thin and warps easily. I rarely use it since I got the mineralBs. I think the 8" are perfect for a single eggs and 2 egg omelettes.

I accidentally got my pan to hot while I was seasoning it and burned off the middle of the pan seasoning. Is there any problem using the weed burner to remove the finish and start over?

The force blue crepe pan is too thin and warps easily. I rarely use it since I got the mineralBs. I think the 8" are perfect for a single eggs and 2 egg omelettes.
Not in my experience. Mine is still dead flat after years of use. I never need more than medium heat for eggs/crepes/pancakes so warping hasn't been an issue. The thinner pan heats up much quicker and cooks quicker than the carbone/mineral pans and the low volume breakfast foods aren't as much of a heat sink as something like a steak, which would benefit from the extra thickness. Obviously, your mileage may vary depending on cooking style.

Why is that? Just easier?

It's faster and provides instant feedback. When seasoning in the oven you basically just stick it in there and hope that several hours later you don't find out you used too much oil, or not enough, or applied it unevenly, or didn't leave it in long enough. On the stove top, you can see what's happening with each application, you can touch up missed spots and you don't have to heat up your entire kitchen to do it.

Im up to maybe 6 turns in the oven. I've noticed that the handle is getting some light removal of the hammered finish on the parts that touch the oven grates. I'm doing it upside down, but using so little oil I think right side up would be fine and then the handle wouldn't touch the grates. My crepe pan comes tomorrow and I can't wait to season and make some eggs.

For those looking for DeBuyer in Canada, Futureshop online often has them 40-55% off and they ship free. Odd to find them being the best source for such goods here but they're great. I made two orders over time and keep an eye out for the sales, seems like every 2 months or so

Not in my experience. Mine is still dead flat after years of use. I never need more than medium heat for eggs/crepes/pancakes so warping hasn't been an issue. The thinner pan heats up much quicker and cooks quicker than the carbone/mineral pans and the low volume breakfast foods aren't as much of a heat sink as something like a steak, which would benefit from the extra thickness. Obviously, your mileage may vary depending on cooking style.

Mine warped from seasoning with high heat on an induction cooktop. The crepe pan was my introduction to CS pans so I basically cooked everything in it that didn't require the high sides. It's not so warped that you can't use it anymore but it does get annoying when it keeps moving around on the flat surface of the cooktop.

Back