All Rectangle March?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was not a nakiri task -large radish. Definitely a cleaver task.
IMG_0487.jpeg

IMG_0488.jpeg

Also not a nakiri task but I used one anyway- halving leeks:
IMG_0491.jpeg

Vegetable knife for ham and gruyere? Wonderful.
IMG_0492.jpeg

Just unboxed! Kyohei Shindo 165 b2 nakiri from @TokushuKnife 😍 I can tell this is gonna be a sick cutter. Not often to see this sort of accessible price point and rustic charm combined with a much, much more expensive looking grind and distal taper. This might be the formula.

View attachment 309078

View attachment 309079

View attachment 309080

View attachment 309082

View attachment 309081
Those are excellent photos, may I use your choil shot? Nice choice - I love Shindo-sans work!

OK.. since the last meal of march 2024 is now cooked in my home, time to say Thank You for Your Service to these rectagles for now....

PXL_20240331_160053787.jpg

From the left:

1. Unknown stainless rectangle.
  2. Kajibei 165mm Aogami 2 with damascus cladding (and KU as can be seen).
  3. Watanabe Pro 165 mm (also Aogami, I think)
  4. Gaijin x Spåre made exactly one week ago. 170mm goodness from 1.2419 steel.
  5. Taiwanese cleaver, as described in this posting.
Thank you again! This is kind of crazy, these are too many. I really should offload one or two. But which ones?

Now it's time for some triangles. Well... except for the week old Gaijin x Spåre, that will stay on the magnetic strip for a little while more. I think the next theme for me will be Mostly Swedish April. :)

THANK YOU KKF! :dancingcow:

And so draws to a close ARM24, the second annual event.

Thanks again to all who participated! Some awesome pictures of knives and food were shared. I loved reading about new folks giving rectangles a try, especially the member's partners. So cool!

Even if you only dabbled for the month, can't wait to get back to something pointy, or are a fulltime Rectangler, thanks for participating, even if it was privately.

Remember, ARM is just a celebration of rectangles, not a requirement of exclusivity.

I hope to see you all again for ARM25!

THANK YOU KKF! :dancingcow:

And so draws to a close ARM24, the second annual event.

Thanks again to all who participated! Some awesome pictures of knives and food were shared. I loved reading about new folks giving rectangles a try, especially the member's partners. So cool!

Even if you only dabbled for the month, can't wait to get back to something pointy, or are a fulltime Rectangler, thanks for participating, even if it was privately.

Remember, ARM is just a celebration of rectangles, not a requirement of exclusivity.

I hope to see you all again for ARM25!
Cleaver Jesus loves you.

It so happened I bought my first cleaver (Chopper King white 2) late in February. I used it (after a needed thinning) for most of my kitchen tasks this month.

My discipline was not perfect, but I learned some knify things.

One of my takeaways was cleavers. My wok shop cleaver went unused last March and my Watanabe Nakiri got the action. I added a Toyama Nakiri last summer which went unused for 6 months until giving it plenty of enjoyable use this month. Definitely a good experience. I did major thinning and work on the wok shop vegetable cleaver and its been a delight. The edge retention went from poor to decent since its quite acute now. I don’t think I sharpened any of my 3 rectangles since the beginning of the month. Anyway my favorite takeaway was powering through julienne of vegetables with a cleaver. I do a lot of julienne and usually use a Nakiri but the extra weight of the cleaver just powers through it if you are into getting it done quick with less precision. Like the video from @HumbleHomeCook, just stack up the slices and show them who is boss.

Last edited:
Shindo, Moritaka and Takeda.
IMG_6486.jpeg

The verdict: a good March overall. I did use my honesuki once or twice, my bread knife and a stainless beater on some hard cheese, but these were up to every other task.

Some final thoughts:
-Moritaka’s AS feels very bitey and aggressive
- Althought the Moritaka came with the better out of the box edge, my edge on the Shindo was better for tomatoes and peppers. I didn’t feel the Moritaka needed sharpening up until those tasks.
- Both tall nakiris are very pleasant to use, I have a slight preference for the profile of the more fully flat Moritaka.
- Shindo is a bit more nimble feeling. I think their weight is similar so I’m not sure why that is.
-The Takeda is really too short for most things other than ginger and garlic. It’s just a wee bit short for citrus or shallot.
- I don’t think I will keep both the Moritaka and the Shindo, going to be a tough choice. Profile might trump.

Shindo, Moritaka and Takeda.
View attachment 312063

The verdict: a good March overall. I did use my honesuki once or twice, my bread knife and a stainless beater on some hard cheese, but these were up to every other task.

Some final thoughts:
-Moritaka’s AS feels very bitey and aggressive
- Althought the Moritaka came with the better out of the box edge, my edge on the Shindo was better for tomatoes and peppers. I didn’t feel the Moritaka needed sharpening up until those tasks.
- Both tall nakiris are very pleasant to use, I have a slight preference for the profile of the more fully flat Moritaka.
- Shindo is a bit more nimble feeling. I think their weight is similar so I’m not sure why that is.
-The Takeda is really too short for most things other than ginger and garlic. It’s just a wee bit short for citrus or shallot.
- I don’t think I will keep both the Moritaka and the Shindo, going to be a tough choice. Profile might trump.
I got an opportunity to handle one of those Takeda ko-rectangles. I could not find a task in the kitchen that my brilliant little Kuwabara tall petty could not slay. I returned it varnish intact.

I got an opportunity to handle one of those Takeda ko-rectangles. I could not find a task in the kitchen that my brilliant little Kuwabara tall petty could not slay. I returned it varnish intact.
TBF, I bought it because I have no self control and I thought it was cute as f¥€k.

Back